7/6 Games

GGajewski18

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 07:33 PM)
Davidson now has 42 walks this season. That is pretty impressive.

Yes it is. If only he could do something about those strike outs.

Jordan Guerrero looking good through 3 innings.

Kanny postponed.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 07:33 PM)
Davidson now has 42 walks this season. That is pretty impressive.

Equally as unimpressive is his 112 Ks in 83 games. Contact issues are usually exacerbated in the Major Leagues, so I am pretty much resigned to Davidson never reaching the potential the Sox saw in him when they traded for him.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 08:40 PM)
Equally as unimpressive is his 112 Ks in 83 games. Contact issues are usually exacerbated in the Major Leagues, so I am pretty much resigned to Davidson never reaching the potential the Sox saw in him when they traded for him.

Mark Reynolds is the kind of profile to look for at this point. Can he develop that level of power in his mid-20s, though?

George Springer struck out 161 times in 2013 playing minor league ball.

Of course he hit .300 so that his OPS was over 1.

That .235 average is also hindering Davidson....thus his OPS is in the modest .700s, despite homers and walks.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 03:43 AM)
The DSL must have been painful with the Sox committing 5 errors and the Orioles with 7 errors. :o

Ricky Mota made his 17th error in this his 27th game of the season. His defensive ability is supposed to be his strength as well.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 09:50 PM)
Ricky Mota made his 17th error in this his 27th game of the season. His defensive ability is supposed to be his strength as well.

Good grief, what is going on down there? I know those kids are very young but were the Sox scouts off about Mota's defense?

Trayce Thompson went 0-3 but his K-rate, which has long been his biggest problem, is quietly down under 19% on the year. It'd be nice to see his BB rate be a little higher and to see more power, but it's encouraging to see his contact rate improve basically every year. I think he probably deserves to get his first taste of the big leagues this season if anyone goes down or in September.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 10:14 PM)
Good grief, what is going on down there? I know those kids are very young but were the Sox scouts off about Mota's defense?

These are mostly 16-18 year old kids down there. This is a high school baseball game going on down there.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 12:03 AM)
Don't put too much stock into it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)
These are mostly 16-18 year old kids down there. This is a high school baseball game going on down there.

I understand and agree. Just curious as to how a kid was scouted for his defense and makes 17 errors in 27 games. Could be poor field conditions?

Those kids are paid on tools-- how fast they run, how their body projects 4-5 years in the future, bloodlines. It almost has nothing to do with baseball ability when they're at that age.

Unless you're a prospect freak, it's best to ignore these guys until they make it to full season minor league baseball- most of them won't sniff AA.

That's why I kind of don't pay much attention to prospect lists. Micker Adolfo is a perfect example. So, yeah, he may be good someday. But he's 18 in short season ball, and not killing it. But he's pretty high on lists because he got paid, his dad played minor league baseball, and he looks good in his uniform. It doesn't mean he'll be anything three years from now.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)
I understand and agree. Just curious as to how a kid was scouted for his defense and makes 17 errors in 27 games. Could be poor field conditions?

My guess would be the tools are in place (range, arm, instincts, etc), but not the refinement. Field conditions could be an issue, as could attention span, and amount of practice.