FA Pitching

USAF_11F4H

Carl Pavano is on his "9 day tour", with a stop in Detroit on Friday, to visit parks and visit with management, one of '6 American League cities.' Does anyone know if Chicago is one of these?

Also, Cleveland is on the hot pursuit of Clement. Have the Sox even winked at Clement?

The Nationals are speaking heavily with Russ Ortiz, Odalis Perez, Jaret Wright and Paul Wilson.

Are the Sox completely under the radar this offseason or completely out of their league?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say out of their league on some, under the radar on others.

Happy to clear that up for you! :lol:

Yep that clears it upp..

USAF.. don't worry we have a trade in the works

I hear we are in the running for a AZI pitcher

We give up

Cotts, Diaz and Brain Anderson

and we get

Cassey Fossum,

KW is saying he had that one good season with Boston with a winning record and that is something we are looking for..

Yep that clears it upp..

USAF.. don't worry we have a trade in the works

I hear we are in the running for a AZI pitcher

We give up

Cotts, Diaz and Brain Sweeney

and we get

Cassey Fossum,

KW is saying he had that one good season with Boston with a winning record and that is something we are looking for..

Good thing we don't have anyone named Brain Sweeney.

Yeah you would think they would have spell check on these things!

OOOO ADMINS.. time to do something about that!

Or maybe you should just check your spelling more, how about it? ;)

And your trade is completely bogus...

Back to the point of the thread, I'd like to think that we're at least looking at Odalis Perez, but who knows. One thing is for certain -- and this is so super obvious, I don't even know why I'm saying it -- but we need to find another starter, capable of pitching at least like a #3...

Wait your right Im sure there is some other 1/2 ass pitcher KW will go after and give up all that for..

BOY I just love KW offseason moves

Yeah, he only got David Wells, Bartolo Colon, the 2002 Rolaids relief man of the year, Shingo, and Damaso Marte in previous offseasons.

Granted Botch and Wells didn't work out, but the other guys were far from being "1/2 ass pitchers."

:rolly :rolly :rolly

When are you going to learn that "your" in supposed to be "you're?" :huh:

Was 3rd grade English that hard for you?

Yeah, he only got David Wells, Bartolo Colon, the 2002 Rolaids relief man of the year, Shingo, and Damaso Marte in previous offseasons.

Granted Botch and Wells didn't work out, but the other guys were far from being "1/2 ass pitchers." 

:rolly  :rolly  :rolly

When are you going to learn that "your" in supposed to be "you're?"  :huh:

Was 3rd grade English that hard for you?

Yep all those moves gave us How many AL central Titles? AL pennants? WS Titles?

Enlgish may be hard, but I can figure simple math

So here comes another KW move to grab a 1/2 ass pitcher.

Yep all those moves gave us How many AL central Titles? AL pennants? WS Titles?

Enlgish may be hard, but I can figure simple math

So here comes another KW move to grab a 1/2 ass pitcher.

So?

They went out and got those guys and tried, did they not? They went out and got Garcia and Contreras, didn't they?

You'd rather they didn't go out and get those established pitchers?

It's a lot easier, no check that, A LOT easier to look at everything in the rear view mirror and say, "see I told you so".

On the math thing, don't be so sure. You had a tough time with that whole $8.50 1/2 price ticket discussion.

You're b****ing about things on Nov. 30th, the winter meetings are just around the corner, save yourself some aggravation and at least wait through Xmas. Some stuff will happen by then.

JIM.. Lets not get into the ticket disscussion again. I don't have time today

Let me ask you this..

Why do you think the Twins keep winning with a lesser payroll than us?

A GM, once we get one.. we too can win

They also spend more money on getting better scouts. Who's in charge of spending money for the Sox?

The Twins also had some HORRIBLE records for nearly a decade, and they don't re-sign their free agents because of a horrible owner.

JIM.. Lets not get into the ticket disscussion again. I don't have time today

Let me ask you this..

Why do you think the Twins keep winning with a lesser payroll than us?

A GM, once we get one.. we too can win

That is cool on the ticket discussion, it's over anyway ... if you read what all the others posted.

I know why the Twins win. Their drafting, scouting, and player development is better than the White Sox's. They have, IMO, more capable people in place at the minor league level.

That is the main reason.

The second reason is because historically, they bring players up together who are used to playing with one another through several levels. Continuity is more conducive to playing for each other, as a team.

They constantly have good minor league talent ready to surface, which very frankly, makes the job of their GM easier vs. harder.

I will also say I think their GM is better than ours. He is not the one who assembled all their scouting staff and player development personnel though. Most of them have been in place for years, and they do an excellent job.

The Twins haven't made it to a WS with this group either, so they're not perfect.

It has a lot more to do with other factors vs. just the GM. It's easy to say the GM is better and that's the main reason, but if you choose to look deeper you'll see why they always have a steady pipeline.

Not everything is breaking their way at the moment though. This will be an interesting year for them. I don't begrudge their obvious good organizational work but they've gotten lucky a few times too.

If I can add something [not much but at least I'll try to stay onto the posted topic--FA pitching], there a lot of FA SP's out there. It should take a while to sort out who will go where, and when. My guess is the sox are looking via trade first to get some pitching, and if that doesn't work try the market. With teams seeming to wait until Dec. 7th to sign guys, the GM meetings starting the 10th should see some deals done.

While the FA is rich in SP, there are very few guys for the bullpen. Most are old has beens/ never beens who aren't better than what the sox have. One guy I'd like the Sox to try a Cliff Politte 2004 type contract [1 yr, $800k with a decent 2006 option] with is Ramiro Mendoza. If he can even sniff his 2002 numbers with any consistency [when he was able to spot start, throw 1, 2 or 3 innings at a time], the sox would be in good shape. He could allow Cotts, Adkins and possibly Bajenaru to get into games in more of a consistent basis. A veteran is more likely to get success being moved around. We saw how Cotts and adkins did when they were put into a lot of different situations coming out of the pen.

JIM, I agree with you 100% I have said for years, that the SOx need to retool there whole system. But, why is it that it only started to go downhill once KW came into power? I mean we had one if not the best Minor league systems in the league. And now none of our homegrown talent ever makes it to this club. And if they do..They don't preform very well

AKA JOE B. this was KW first ever draft pick..and at the time I didn't like it, This was the same year we thought we had enough SP in our system..and IMO you can never have enough SP in your farm system. And now look were we are at.. looking or SP. Know I don't know who we could have gotten besides him in that regards.

The same thing goes with last years draft, we are still an organztion that needs SP, yet we go and draft a 3B? That right there just shows the faith KW has in Crede.

I stopped liking KW, the Day he made the Ritchie deal, now granted none of the 3 we gave up were "great" at the time we could have gotten a much better deal for those players. Has he made some good moves..sure Colon. marte.. but overall...Him and allot of others needs to be let go and retool the system.. I mean look at the Cubs, they had one of the worse farm systems, and now they are oozzing with talent.

JIM, I agree with you 100% I have said for years, that the SOx need to retool there whole system.  But, why is it that it only started to go downhill once KW came into power? I mean we had one if not the best Minor league systems in the league. And now  none of  our homegrown talent ever makes it to this club.  And if they do..They don't preform very well

AKA JOE B. this was KW first ever draft pick..and at the time I didn't like it, This was the same year we thought we had enough SP in our system..and IMO you can never have enough SP in your farm system. And now look were we are at.. looking or SP.  Know I don't know who we could have gotten besides him in that regards.

The same thing goes with last years draft, we are still an organztion that needs SP, yet we go and draft a 3B? That right there just shows the faith KW has in Crede.

I stopped liking KW, the Day he made the Ritchie deal, now granted none of the 3 we gave up were "great" at the time we could have gotten a much better deal for those players.  Has he made some good moves..sure Colon. marte.. but overall...Him and allot of others needs to be let go and retool the system.. I mean look at the Cubs, they had one of the worse farm systems, and now they are oozzing with talent.

There are a lot of misstatements here. First, wasn't 2001 KW's 1st draft? And two, Schueler was the one who coordinated the Ritchie deal. 3rd, the "great" minor league system KW inherited [from 1998, 1999, 2000] was filled with busts. Few are making a big impact these days

There are a lot of misstatements here. First, wasn't 2001 KW's 1st draft? And two, Schueler was the one who coordinated the Ritchie deal. 3rd, the "great" minor league system KW inherited [from 1998, 1999, 2000] was filled with busts. Few are making a big impact these days

100% true. Joe Borchard was drafted in 2000, a the season before KW took over the GMs job.