Guillen offers Texas' Padilla warning

Goldmember

Guillen offers Texas' Padilla warning

07/20/2006 4:45 PM ET

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

DETROIT -- Neither White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen nor catcher A.J. Pierzynski expect a continuation this weekend of the hostility that ensued when Rangers starter Vicente Padilla hit the Sox catcher with two pitches during their last series in June, but Guillen vowed Thursday to retaliate if it does.

Discussion of the Pierzynski-Padilla incident figured to come up with Texas coming to town and Padilla scheduled to pitch Sunday.

"Like we said, it was over as far as we were concerned," Pierzynski said. "But then we didn't know it was going to happen last time, either. It's in one guy's hands."

Guillen made it clear before Thursday's series finale with Detroit that any actions perceived to be intentional on Padilla's part will not be tolerated by the White Sox manager.

"If Padilla hits somebody, believe me, we're going to do something about it and see what happens. That's a guarantee," Guillen said. "You can count on that. I don't care if we're suspended for 100 years.

"[if] you hit people when they do something wrong, I agree with that. But [if] you hit people because you don't like them, I don't think that's a good [way] to play the game."

In discussing the situation, and the brief jawing between Pierzynski and Detroit's Craig Monroe following the outfielder's grand slam Wednesday, Guillen talked about the old days of baseball, when any problem between players was handled on the field.

With umpires' warnings, fines and suspensions, Guillen believes baseball is over-legislated. It's one of the reasons why there was no retaliation for Padilla's actions, after the first White Sox attempt neglected to work that same night. But Guillen can't make the same promise if Padilla decides to play out his emotions on the field again Sunday.

"We have to concentrate and win games," Guillen said. "But I guarantee you, if that happens, I don't know what's going to happen, but something's going to happen. Make sure they know it, too.

"If something happens, I'm going to protect one of my players, hit him and point to [Padilla] when I hit him and then make [the Texas players] fight with their pitcher. I'm not here for Major League Baseball. I'm here for my players, and I'm going to do everything I can in my power to make my players perform in the right way."

The latest Pierzynski incident started in the sixth inning Wednesday night, when Monroe hit what turned out to be the game-winning grand slam. As Monroe crossed home plate following his trot, he fell backwards into Pierzynski after exchanging an intense high-five with teammate Marcus Thames.

Pierzynski put his elbow up to seemingly block himself from the impact -- all and all a rather innocuous little part of an exciting game. But Monroe and Pierzynski had words after the collision, with Thames ushering Monroe back to the dugout.

Although Monroe is said to have apologized to Pierzynski after the game, neither player was making nice Thursday.

"He wants to [upset you]," Monroe said of Pierzynski. "He wants to make you mad, so now you get out of your game plan. Well, they're not going to change my mind-set. I'm going to continue to do what I do. We just try to play baseball.

"You know what, guys?" added Monroe to the Detroit media. "The bottom line is everybody in baseball knows that's A.J. Let's be honest. That's him. He likes confrontation. He likes to play this role. He's so tough. Well, that act is just tired. It's just tired."

"I thought it was over last night," Pierzynski said after hearing of Monroe's comments. "As soon as he came up and apologized and said, 'Sorry. I didn't mean to bump into you,' I was like, 'OK. That's fine.'

"For him to say that, I think it's kind of bush league that he basically changes his complete story. I don't know. It's kind of funny."

we were talking about this last nite, pretty funny. Ozzie sounds like hes in a very bad mood now that his team is 5.5 games out ............ Heres hoping that hes pissed enough and puts a Foot to the SOX behinds and gets them going ............

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 09:17 AM)
Whether it's intentional or not, the team seems to play better when Ozzie is running his mouth and in the spotlight. Hopefully the press runs with these quotes and the Sox put together a good win streak.

Very intentional, IMO. Everything he does is carefully calculated. :ph34r:

Mr. Commissioner,

I've been a baseball fan for 20 years now, and let me just say I love what you've done for the game. When a pitcher hits the opposing batter, and the other team tries to retaliate, that is just immature and uncalled for. If they even THINK about trying to defend themselves, throw them out! Fines all around! You did just that. I'd like to congratulate you. The pitcher had every right to hit a guy. He has the ball, after all. No need to punish him. Oh yeah, and just to make SURE the other team doesn't try to retaliate, let's issue warnings to both teams!

I have another problem. What is with this sliding hard into 2nd base on a double play ball? Why the violence?! These guys should just accept that fact that they are probably going to be out. And another thing, when the catcher is holding the ball while the runner is coming home, they should politely stop, shake the catchers hand, and accept the tag. No need to run him over. That's just uncalled for. Bush league. One last point. If the crowd is fired up, players shouldn't try to fire them up more! A baseball park is not a place for loud noise and cheering. How dare they get excited for their team?!

That is all for now.

Sincerely,

SoxFan76

PS, go to hell Selig.

I needed to get that out. I hope somebody drills Padilla. Or anyone, I don't care. Send a message. Get the team pumped up. It might be just what the doctor ordered.

Yes, Vincent Padilla is Ozzie's BIGGEST concern right now.

Stop getting so hung up on what other players have done or what they might do - stop getting upset that a pitcher pumped his fist after striking you out, stop plotting revenge because a player bumped you.

It's starting to become obvious that some White Sox players might be allowing their minds to be played with during this difficult stretch.

Edited by soxunited

QUOTE(soxunited @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
Yes, Vincent Padilla is Ozzie's BIGGEST concern right now.

Stop getting so hung up on what other players have done or what they might do - stop getting upset that a pitcher pumped his fist after striking out etc, stop plotting revenge because a player bumped you.

It's starting to become obvious that some White Sox players might be allowing their minds to be played with during this difficult stretch.

The Zumaya comments were very Dusty-ish. I still remember how Dusty would beach about players posing after their homers against the Cubs, even though Sosa was hopping half the way towards Lake Michigan when he'd hit his homers.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
The Zumaya comments were very Dusty-ish. I still remember how Dusty would beach about players posing after their homers against the Cubs, even though Sosa was hopping half the way towards Lake Michigan when he'd hit his homers.

"beach" :D

that swear filter is hilarious

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
Anyone find it kinda funny that they plunked Pods...our speed guy....in the shin....in the 9th....with 2 outs....and the game out of reach?

Yeah, we're going to hit someone, and with Freddy out there (who is pretty good about defending teammates), I expect it to happen for sure. Only thing I worry is that it might not hurt!

Anyone find it kinda funny that they plunked Pods...our speed guy....in the shin....in the 9th....with 2 outs....and the game out of reach?

Message for Guillen: Worry about managing you Moron!

In last night's game, 8th inning - first and third (one out) - Cotts comes in the game gets Blalock, the left handed hitter out. It seemed obvious to me that Tracey should come in the game to face Mench (right hander hitter) BUT NOOOOOO - then they flashed on the screen that Mench is 2 for 2 lifetime against Cotts with TWO F'ING HR's - WOW - could it have been any more obvious - Cotts goes down 2-0 - and you knew what was coming - BOOOOOM

In Comes Tracey (three pitches too late)

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 02:36 PM)

Honestly, what difference does it make?

That is not the focal concern at the moment at all. The last thing this team needs is to add to the long list of distractions it already has.