The Official 2007-08 NFL Draft Thread

Rex Grossman was the same QB who was on a Super Bowl team the year before.

The problem was that the Bears O-Line sucked so bad that everyone else sucked.

I also sincerely doubt they look for a QB in the first; I'd be surprised if they don't look for a lineman, if one is available.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 03:24 AM)

I also sincerely doubt they look for a QB in the first; I'd be surprised if they don't look for a lineman, if one is available.

Kiper has them taking a OT from Vanderbilt in round one in '08.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 02:24 AM)

Unless they do something soon to change my mind, the Bears seem to be headed toward taking a WR in the first two rounds. I'd prefer they go OT over WR in the first, because you can hopefully get someone who can step right in and dominate.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 08:09 AM)
Unless they do something soon to change my mind, the Bears seem to be headed toward taking a WR in the first two rounds. I'd prefer they go OT over WR in the first, because you can hopefully get someone who can step right in and dominate.

I'd agree completely; the WR depth seems good enough in the draft that you should be able to draft a starter in the mid-second. That first pick should go towards the best lineman available, be it Clady, Otah, or Williams. Receivers can fall, but linemen tend to get taken pretty quickly.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 09:09 AM)

OT is a must in the 1st imo, a good wr can be had in the 2nd and I don't know how you can pass on a rb in the 3rd with all the depth at that position in the draft.

My Wish List

Free Agent Signings:

G Jake Scott

WR Bryant Johnson

Ot Shane Olivea

Extension for Tommie Harris

1st- OT Jeff Otah- Pitt

2nd-Wr Devin Thomas - Michigan St

3rd-RB- Ray Rice- Rutgers

4th-SS-Craig Steltz LSU

5th-G-Robert Felton Arkansas

6th - QB Sam Keller Nebraska

7th- Wr Anthony Alridge Houston

I'll take Dominque Rogers - Cromartie at #22, and Felix Jones or a WR who slips at #28.

And that's unless Stewart the RB falls to #22.

McFadden is still the interesting one. The Raiders and Jets are the 2 teams most likely to pick him in the top 10, I think the Jets would probably pull the trigger at #6 if he was available.

So many needs, not enough picks and money to fill them. A RB, a WR, 2 OL, a QB, a S, depth at the D-Line. I'd like to go OT, WR, RB, S in that order for the 1st 3 rounds (2 3rd rounders). Ryan Clady, Limas Sweed, Ray Rice, and Craig Steltz would be a very nice combo to fill those voids.

Clady has been projected anywhere from early to mid 1st, Sweed has been projected as high as 11 to the Bills and as low as mid-2nd, Rice is a 3-4 rounder, and Steltz is a 2-3.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 11:59 PM)
knowing Jerry... he's gonna trade the 14 pick for a late 1st rounder and a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

I would not mind that at all. He's picked up arguably as many quality players in the 2nd rd compared to the 1st .

1st rounders

2002 29th-Marc Colombo

2003 14th-Michale Haynes, 22nd-Rex grossman

2004 14th-Tommie Harris

2005 4th-Cedric Benson

2006 No Pick

2007 31st-Greg Olsen

2nd rounders

2002 No Pick

2003 35th-Charles Tillman

2004 47th-Tank Johnson

2005 39th-Mark Bradley

2006 42nd- Daniel Manning, 57th Devin hester

2007 62nd- Dan Bazuin

i think the wisest long-term thing for the organization would be to take one of the offensive tackles. however, from what i've read, although there is great depth only clady is a guy who could probably step in and play from day 1. given that most of angelo's moves have been focused on the present, not the future, i have a hard time seeing him using the first pick on a lineman who isn't going to be able to play immediately.

which makes me think that a running back or a wide receiver is the likely choice. out of those, i'd probably lean to mendenhall (my illini bias aside, i think he could be really, really good).

QUOTE(rangercal @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)
I would not mind that at all. He's picked up arguably as many quality players in the 2nd rd compared to the 1st .

1st rounders

2002 29th-Marc Colombo

2003 14th-Michale Haynes, 22nd-Rex grossman

2004 14th-Tommie Harris

2005 4th-Cedric Benson

2006 No Pick

2007 31st-Greg Olsen

2nd rounders

2002 No Pick

2003 35th-Charles Tillman

2004 47th-Tank Johnson

2005 39th-Mark Bradley

2006 42nd- Daniel Manning, 57th Devin hester

2007 62nd- Dan Bazuin

once you figure in the salary cap, its not even close. Wow. I wonder if any other teams have draft results that look like that?

• 2 weeks later...

Any interest;

– Bears looking for a RB?

We keep hearing the McFadden-to-Dallas rumors, most recently courtesy of Peter King. Here’s a scenario that seems a bit more plausable. The Bears are looking closely at both Arkansas running backs, with head coach Lovie Smith lunching with Darren McFadden and Felix Jones yesterday. Incumbent RB Cedric Benson had screws and a plate inserted in his fractured ankle this past December and his rehab appears to be moving too slowly for the Bears’ satisfaction.

The Bears pick 14th, too low for McFadden, who will likely go to Oakland at 4 or the Jets at 6 if no moves are made. That’s also too high for Jones, who is rated in the last third of the first in most mocks.

If Chicago is looking to move down about eight to twelve spots to select Jones, might Dallas contemplate a move up, in order to get one of the top four corners? The points difference between 14 and 22 is 320 points or a late 2nd round pick. If you could move down from 28 and get say, the 37th and Atlanta’s early 4th, would you sacrifice the 61st?

I think the top two CBs, Leodis McKelvin and Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, will be gone by 14 but you would almost guarantee a shot at Mike Jenkins and Aqib Talib. There’s also a fair possibility that one of the top two corners would be there.

Jerry Jones is a gambling man. Chicago might be a willing trade partner. Are you ready to make a deal?

• 4 weeks later...