Jeff Nelson

AddisonStSox

Per Rotoworld

The Mets are interested in signing Jeff Nelson to a minor league contract.

Nelson should be able to get a major league deal from someone. He was injured and ineffective for the Rangers last season, but it was the first time since 1999 he had posted an ERA over 4.00.

Wow. My guy is still available and it looks like he'll be coming cheaply. IMHO, Kenny really should check this out. I love Nelson; when he's on, he can set-up, pitch long relief, and brings an attitude to the ballpark every day. If he can be had for a minor league contract, Kenny may want to look into this. For the first time in years, our bullpen is a team strength...a healthy Nelson would make it one of the most intimidating pens in all of baseball.

Git er' Done!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(babybearhater @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
would be a worthless addition to our bullpen, and his attitude is nothing but a s***ty one, which is why nobody wants him the first place.  No need to go to the scrap heap for arms this season, no thanks

And you know his attitude is s***ty because you played with him, right? I've heard quite the opposite, he is a fierce competitor, and has outstanding stuff. Signing him to a minor-league contract means we have no obligation, and if he proves healthy, our bullpen would be ridiculous.

Nelson is a talent, I would be happy if they brought him in on an invite.

Unfortunately, I doubt it will happen. Nelson played in NY for a number of years and by all accounts was always quite happy there. So it likely stands to reason he'd target the Mets.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 11:28 AM)
Nelson is a talent, I would be happy if they brought him in on an invite.

Unfortunately, I doubt it will happen.  Nelson played in NY for a number of years and by all accounts was always quite happy there.  So it likely stands to reason he'd target the Mets.

He'll definately get more innings with the Mets.

And you know his attitude is s***ty because you played with him, right?  I've heard quite the opposite, he is a fierce competitor, and has outstanding stuff.  Signing him to a minor-league contract means we have no obligation, and if he proves healthy, our bullpen would be ridiculous.

you heard from him, or what??? Dont follow up an opinion with an opinion if you are trying to be factual. He wont sign with us, there is no room for him in our bullpen, and would just take up space in AAA. Keep wishing, but its not gonna happen.

QUOTE(babybearhater @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
you heard from him, or what???  Dont follow up an opinion with an opinion if you are trying to be factual.  He wont sign with us, there is no room for him in our bullpen, and would just take up space in AAA.  Keep wishing, but its not gonna happen.

I believe he said he heard quite the opposite. That implies to me he heard it from the radio, t.v., newpaper, magazine, etc. So that is not an opinion.

QUOTE(babybearhater @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
you heard from him, or what???  Dont follow up an opinion with an opinion if you are trying to be factual.  He wont sign with us, there is no room for him in our bullpen, and would just take up space in AAA.  Keep wishing, but its not gonna happen.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
I believe he said he heard quite the opposite. That implies to me he heard it from the radio, t.v., newpaper, magazine, etc. So that is not an opinion.

Thanks qwerty. He may not sign with us. But you saying that he would be a worthless addition to our bullpen is idiotic.

Think it is fair to say if nelson is healthy. Nelson> adkins and cotts. If he either sucks or goes down with an injury we wouldn't have the worst back-up opyions with cotts/adkins. Either way, i want to see cotts in the minors all year next year to work on another pitch. But i do not see that happening.

He's always been tough on righties. However, I wouldn't read too much into the minor league deal part because there is no way he spends one day in AAA. If he doesn't make the team he won't be with the Met organization. I was really in favor of bringing him in beofre as our chief right-handed set-up man, but given how we added Vizcaino and Herm, maybe next year.

I also had issue with that statement.  Insanity.

Well thanks for your opinion on it. But saying that Nelson would be a good additon to our bullpen over what we have now is idiotic. You are talking about a 38 year old who makes almost 2 million dollars, who is obiously in the downslide in his career. He had to have surgery, barely could throw at all last year and has a delivery which is conducive to elbow trouble. As for being a good guy like you said you "heard" you are so quick to forget a problematic set up guy for the mariners who lashed out against the front office and the management and brought about a trade so they could rid themselves of his personality. Not to mention the bullpen fight which included him as well.

And saying that he will be more valuable than cotts is yet to be seen. He is a 24 year old lefty who is basically getting better as he gets more experience. Not to mention he has the ability to throw long innings of relief. These two arent even really comparable as neil is not a set-up guy and either is adkins. If you want to compare Nelson to the people he would be competing against for the set up role, you would be talking about polite and hermanson. And if you would rather have Nelson than one of those guys, then that would be a correct comparison.

QUOTE(babybearhater @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
Well thanks for your opinion on it.  But saying that Nelson would be a good additon to our bullpen over what we have now is idiotic.  You are talking about a 38 year old who makes almost 2 million dollars, who is obiously in the downslide in his career. He had to have surgery, barely could throw at all last year and has a delivery which is conducive to elbow trouble.  As for being a good guy like you said you "heard" you are so quick to forget a problematic set up guy for the mariners who lashed out against the front office and the management and brought about a trade so they could rid themselves of his personality. Not to mention the bullpen fight which included him as well.

And saying that he will be more valuable than cotts is yet to be seen.  He is a 24 year old lefty who is basically getting better as he gets more experience.  Not to mention he has the ability to throw long innings of relief.  These two arent even really comparable as neil is not a set-up guy and either is adkins.  If you want to compare Nelson to the people he would be competing against for the set up role, you would be talking about polite and hermanson.  And if you would rather have Nelson than one of those guys, then that would be a correct comparison.

I never once said anything about his attitude. Don't quote me.

Get your s*** straight.

You're quite welcome.

Your baseball brillance is an inspiration to us all.

If you have nothing to say to defend your opinion and perspective than dont post buddy. Face it, we both know you wouldnt want nelson instead of the two righty set up men that we have. So your point is dead, and all you can do now is try and attack me instead of the topic. Which will never work. So make like chief illiniwek and fade away. OUT

QUOTE(babybearhater @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
If you have nothing to say to defend your opinion and perspective than dont post buddy.  Face it, we both know you wouldnt want nelson instead of the two righty set up men that we have.  So your point is dead, and all you can do now is try and attack me instead of the topic.  Which will never work.  So make like chief illiniwek and fade away.  OUT

Oh my god. :lolhitting

Nelson, a perenial big-game pitcher and one-time All Star, or Neil Cotts/Jon Adkins. Tough call.

Don't formulate others' arguments for them.

A healthy Nelson>>>Cotts and Adkins.

As much as I like Cotts, he needs one more year in minors to develop another pitch.

Something to chew on...

Per Yahoo

"Pitching for the New York Yankees from 1996-2000, Jeff help the team win four World Series titles by going 1-0 with a 2.25 ERA in 13 World Series games. Jeff had a 0.00 ERA in the 1996, 1998 and 1999 World Series, throwing a combined 9.1 innings in 10 games."

Nah, I don't want that experience.

EDIT: Let's make this painfully clear. This isn't a post CALLING for the signing of Jeff Nelson, or EXPECTING the signing of Jeff Nelson. Kenny has done a tremendous job with the pen this off-season and can stand pat. However, a pitcher of Nelson's calibur is never a bad thing. As I said in post #1, this is simply a guy Kenny should "look into."

I would say wait and see on comparisons between Nelson and the combo of Cliff/Herm. I am a bit optimistic about Dustin, but wouldn't be surprised to see him scuffle as a reliever over a whole season this time. Cliff seems like a nice guy with a good fastball, but I think he's also a bit afraid of tough spots. We knoe from watching all of tose pennant races and in October that Jeff is not afraid of anything. I'm not saying he's necessarily a better option, but it's no slam dunk.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
Nelson would be okay. But whats the latest with Urbina?

Guillen said he will be ready for the Season regardless of what happens with his mother.

Why would Detroit trade within the Division?

Why would we want another (expensive) closer?

Home: 3.77 ERA 1.12 WHIP

Away: 5.33 ERA 1.50 WHIP

I used to be big on him before the 2004 season, but I wouldn't want him now.