Yankees ask about Rowand

TLAK

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
And his home ballpark in AAA, IIRC, plays like a pitcher's ballpark while the Cell plays like a HR hitter's ballpark. How many HR's did ARow have in Coors Light Field?

Quite the contrary on on charlotte's field. It is an extreme hitters park... just not for the right team most times.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before this year pierre had one of the highest batting averages in all of baseball in his time spand... yet he cannot hit. How do you define a good hitter? Ops? It is awfully annoying when people look at a lead-off hitters ops. Lead off hitters are not there for the homers many do not has great gap power. Arguably the greatest lead-off hitter to ever play the game was just .820. Most lead-off men will have an ops south of .750.

Juan pierre is far from a stiff. If you think he is i would love to know what you thought about podsednik before the season. But i don't think you will end up telling the full truth at this point...

Best post ever.

Damn, look who was right:

ESPN Radio 1000 is reporting that the Cubs are close to acquiring Juan Pierre from the Marlins for a pair of minor leaguers.

No Corey Patterson? We hope the Cubs wouldn't give up Felix Pie for one year of Pierre. Parting with pitching prospects, say Rich Hill along with Sean Marshall or Renyel Pinto, would be preferable. Nov. 14 - 7:27 pm et

I don't see any sign of Corey Patterson in that deal. Ship Rowand off to the Marlins for Delgado.

The Yanks are still looking to get Rowand, with a third team included. Don't know what team can afford the Yanks overpriced talent. The paper does say Rowand's on the block and available.

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcn...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

The article even mentions that the Yankees are looking at ways to work a 3-way deal for Rowand like many people here suggested since the Yankees have nothing that we would want.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
The article even mentions that the Yankees are looking at ways to work a 3-way deal for Rowand like many people here suggested since the Yankees have nothing that we would want.

I think that's what I said :)

I don't see any teams that may want the yanks old expensive guys.

When Bruce Levine is right on a rumored transaction this season, it will be the first time.

Please.

I know bashing this guy is the fashionable thing to do around here, including posting stupid pictures, but this guy is quite well connected. He reports what he hears and what other people tell him. He is not a GM or an owner, and those are the only people who should be believed because they are the only people with control over the situation.

When Everett was traded to the White Sox, he was all over that a week or two beforehand. He was all over the Freddy Garcia trade. Jermaine Dye, the Contreras trade, there are other examples. Yes, he has been way off on things and he was stupid to comment on the Omar Vizquel situation the way he did.

But bottom line, anyone who RELIES on rumors coming from sports reporters and then says they never get anything right should understand what the guy's role is. It is to report what he hears. Some things pan out, others don't.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)
Please. 

I know bashing this guy is the fashionable thing to do around here, including posting stupid pictures, but this guy is quite well connected.  He reports what he hears and what other people tell him.  He is not a GM or an owner, and those are the only people who should be believed because they are the only people with control over the situation.

When Everett was traded to the White Sox, he was all over that a week or two beforehand.  He was all over the Freddy Garcia trade.  Jermaine Dye, the Contreras trade, there are other examples.  Yes, he has been way off on things and he was stupid to comment on the Omar Vizquel situation the way he did.

But bottom line, anyone who RELIES on rumors coming from sports reporters and then says they never get anything right should understand what the guy's role is.  It is to report what he hears.  Some things pan out, others don't.

He might be well connected to the sox, but when it comes to other teams? Awful. He gets information from his ''sources'' a day or two late. I have heard him say that a player was recently signed two days after it happened on several occasions last year.

He might be well connected to the sox, but when it comes to other teams? Awful. He gets information from his ''sources'' a day or two late. I have heard him say that a player was recently signed two days after it happened on several occasions last year.

Don't forget how Levine reports that a trade is in the works like Juan Pierre to the Cubs and then when the trade falls through, he denies he ever said it a day or two later. I remember him reporting that the Indians had signed Alex Cora like it was hot news, even though it had already been reported in a Cleveland newspaper days earlier. The guy is a joke.

You are talking about Alex Cora. I heard that too.

Where he gets most of his info from is agents. That tells you something, i.e. agents lie. He also talks to tons of scouts and higher level people in organizations, not just GM's.

He is not just connected to Chicago baseball, if that were the limit of his contacts he wouldn't be employed by ESPN radio. I realize I'm flying in the face of known information here at SoxTalk and I am by no means a Levine apologist but the blanket statements that are made about this guy are totally off base.

Don't forget how Levine reports that a trade is in the works like Juan Pierre to the Cubs and then when the trade falls through, he denies he ever said it a day or two later.  I remember him reporting that the Indians had signed Alex Cora like it was hot news, even though it had already been reported in a Cleveland newspaper days earlier.  The guy is a joke.

However, when the guy reports some information that turns out to have validity, that's ignored.

I wonder why, if he's such a joke, everyone on this board starts trotting out all their fantasy lineups every time he reports a White Sox rumor? :bang

However, when the guy reports some information that turns out to have validity, that's ignored.

I wonder why, if he's such a joke, everyone on this board starts trotting out all their fantasy lineups every time he reports a White Sox rumor?  :bang

I would respect Levine more if he didn't just lie about his reports. Like I said, he reported that Pierre to the Cubs was very close. Two days later, he denied he ever said that the trade was close. That's pretty weak.

Willie Harris for Wes Helms. Need I say more?

Willie Harris for Wes Helms.  Need I say more?

Right, this was a bad one, no doubt. However, no one here knows the whole story.

Has anyone ever heard of a GM saying "no way are we shopping our player, it's all lies and rumor and innuendo", such as Doug Melvin did on the Helms thing?

Naahhh ... never happens.

Again, I am not defending this guy, but the bashing he takes is very typical of SoxTalk, an all-or-nothing mentality.

Witness:

"Geoff Blum sucks!! He blows!! Williams sucks, he couldn't get anything more than Geoff Blum!! Did I mention Geoff Blum sucks??!!"

fast forward 3+ months:

"Best of luck in San Diego Geoff, you will forever hold a place in White Sox fans hearts :cheers "

Right, this was a bad one, no doubt.  However, no one here knows the whole story.

Has anyone ever heard of a GM saying "no way are we shopping our player, it's all lies and rumor and innuendo", such as Doug Melvin did on the Helms thing?

Naahhh ... never happens.

Again, I am not defending this guy, but the bashing he takes is very typical of SoxTalk, an all-or-nothing mentality.

Witness:

"Geoff Blum sucks!!  He blows!!  Williams sucks, he couldn't get anything more than Geoff Blum!!  Did I mention Geoff Blum sucks??!!"

fast forward 3+ months:

"Best of luck in San Diego Geoff, you will forever hold a place in White Sox fans hearts  :cheers "

Geoff Blum did suck. He was awful in the regular season. He hit one huge, clutch homer and that's the only reason everyone loves him now. Do you honestly think that Kenny traded for Blum thinking that he would hit a huge homer in Game 3 of the World Series? :huh:

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 12:32 AM)
Please. 

I know bashing this guy is the fashionable thing to do around here, including posting stupid pictures, but this guy is quite well connected.  He reports what he hears and what other people tell him.  He is not a GM or an owner, and those are the only people who should be believed because they are the only people with control over the situation.

When Everett was traded to the White Sox, he was all over that a week or two beforehand.  He was all over the Freddy Garcia trade.  Jermaine Dye, the Contreras trade, there are other examples.  Yes, he has been way off on things and he was stupid to comment on the Omar Vizquel situation the way he did.

But bottom line, anyone who RELIES on rumors coming from sports reporters and then says they never get anything right should understand what the guy's role is.  It is to report what he hears.  Some things pan out, others don't.

I never was on the bash Levine bandwagon until this last regular season when he was wrong with basically every single possible transaction he mentioned. I don't judge someone by how nice or mean they are. It's his job to get the inside scoop on possible deals, and he was very off this season in what he proclaimed. Is it his fault he was wrong? No! However, his credibility is quite low with me and many other Sox fans right now.

Geoff Blum did suck.  He was awful in the regular season.  He hit one huge, clutch homer and that's the only reason everyone loves him now.  Do you honestly think that Kenny traded for Blum thinking that he would hit a huge homer in Game 3 of the World Series?  :huh:

Perfect example.

"Everyone" who loves him because of one home run very frankly doesn't know a whole lot about baseball, but is generally quick to weigh in with their opinion.

Here's what Blum did well:

Good defense.

Gave Ozzie the flexibility to maneuver the line up.

Gave Konerko and Crede a break.

A smart, heady player with experience who did lots of little things right. Think back to the pop up slide in the one run extra inning game at the Metrodome.

Fit very well in the clubhouse, oh never mind, I guess that didn't count. :bang

Yeah right ... he sucked.

He was a good fit for what they needed and wanted, he did his job and contributed. No one, least of all me, claimed he'd be a superstar. Nor am I defending him now, just lending what I believe is a little more balanced viewpoint on this site, amidst a sea of knee jerk overreactors.

Geoff Blum struggled when he was on the Sox during the regular season. But you're right, he was brought in for versatility on defense as well as secruity in case Crede's back was too bad. And yes, he'll forever be a Sox legend. I think people were upset with the acquisition because they had their hopes set on a bigger name at the deadline.

I never was on the bash Levine bandwagon until this last regular season when he was wrong with basically every single possible transaction he mentioned.  I don't judge someone by how nice or mean they are.  It's his job to get the inside scoop on possible deals, and he was very off this season in what he proclaimed.  Is it his fault he was wrong?  No!  However, his credibility is quite low with me and many other Sox fans right now.

How nice he is, or how mean he is, means f*** all. I'm glad we agree on that.

Leading up to the trade deadline, he said all along that Guillen wanted to generally keep things the same but was looking for a player(s) who might give them more flexibility. That was Blum. Let's crucify Levine because he didn't come out and say they were gonna get Blum. That makes sense.

In fact, Levine got crucified for saying (reporting) that Ozzie just wanted to add some smaller pieces. I am of the opinion that KW and Ozzie had different viewpoints near the deadline. Not that it matters now, but I think KW kept trying really hard for the impact bat and Ozzie was telling him not to overpay and jerk around the chemistry (my opinion).

Levine said the Sox were sniffing around Griffey, I'd say he was right. I mean, KW basically came out and confirmed it as I recall.

Fortunately for Levine (having met him several times) I don't think he loses one bit of sleep whether fathom has a poor opinion of him or JimH has a higher opinion of him. He is what he is, a reporter who reports what he hears.

As for lying, he stuck by the Wes Helms thing and still does to this day. He does, however, say some stupid things ... as most reporters and gossip mongerers do.