Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
Education bubble?
And the above is the random crap a CPA needs to know to be licensed, LOL.
-
Education bubble?
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 10:50 AM) I can't speak to percentages, but I know of at least one person who did exactly this. Chapter 7, walked away from everything, student loans (which were carried by a bank), were charged off. Of course his credit is absolute garbage now, but, it definitely can be done. On 2nd thought, you said, student loans carried by a bank. Those are similar to personal loans and a Chapter 7 would wipe them away. In fact, if any student was taking on a ton of debt, I could see significant reasons for why I wouldn't take a ton of government debt. God forbit you end up 200K in debt and its owed to Uncle Sam...you'll never get away from it (unless you land a big time gig). Bankruptcy is probably something more people should do now a days. Especially if they are severely under-water. They wouldn't waste money paying stuff that theyll eventually lose or won't recover for a period of 7 years, where as the bankruptcy would free them from most things (the exception to this would be if you had a lot of cash or savings/liquid assets; your 401k I believe is protected in a bankruptcy). And your credit would eventually recover (something like 7 years later, but it would recover).
-
Education bubble?
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 10:50 AM) I can't speak to percentages, but I know of at least one person who did exactly this. Chapter 7, walked away from everything, student loans (which were carried by a bank), were charged off. Of course his credit is absolute garbage now, but, it definitely can be done. That might have been pre 1998 and pre early 2000's. Two major bankruptcy reforms during that point in time have made it nearly impossible to walk away from student loan debt (Federally funded student loan debt). If you had private student loans, than that is a whole nother story. But if it was a loan from the government, it is impossible to get away from (excluding if you had a severe hardship due to a sever disability). Getting away from federally sponsored student loans might be one of the toughest things to ever get out from you.
-
Education bubble?
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 09:29 AM) You do if you declare bankruptcy. Thats actually not true. Its nearly impossible to get away from student loan debt and filing bankruptcy, with a very very rare exception (
-
Soxtalk hits 5000 members!
That is probably the most impressive thing about this site. We have a pretty strong regular base of posters. A large number of members that post have exceeded 1000 posts. That would be 308 members with > 1000 posts.
-
Predict the hits tonight against C.C.
9 hits, 5 runs.
-
Catch All Anything Thread
QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 08:03 AM) Holy s***. Hope he recovers soon. Wow. Hope he gets better soon
-
Catch All Anything Thread
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 05:25 AM) for newer cars, you could do both around 100k miles. I just changed the spark plugs on my fiance's car that has about 103k miles and they still looked like new. You'll only prolong the life of the car. Transmission service you should do at or before 75K. If after that fact you do your first transmission service you are more likely to cause harm than good. Hell for the most part, as long as you change your oil, rotate your tires, replace the brakes, and flush your transmission around the 75K map and than thereafter every 50K miles or so, you should be in pretty good shape. Air filter is basic repair as it gets dirty and that depends a lot on the environment you live in and such. And your water pump is probably something you might want to do preventively around the 100K mark because if it goes bad, it could actually cause a pretty good amount of damage to your engine (might not do anything, but it can). And if you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, you need to remember to change your rear differential fluids every 30K miles or so.
-
Hello, this is J4L
I'm a White Sox fan
-
Hello, this is J4L
QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 04:53 AM) I started here as J.Reedfan8 when Jeremy Reed signed a ball for me when I went to a Barons game a few years back (cousins live in Alabama) and when I was getting into prospects. Then he got traded with Olivo/Morse for Freddy and I had to think of something quick to change it to. (though Row and Willie told me to keep the name to preserve, but didn't want to) 4 gin shots later, I came up with the "clever" name of this one. Where is Willie. Haven't seen him around here in forever.
-
Hello, this is J4L
QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 28, 2011 -> 04:11 AM) I was slightly hammered one night and asked in a post what would be a good new user name for me. I threw out a few suggestions, and shipps took the liberty of creating one for me...combining the suggestions I tossed out there. Now I like the name. What was your original name?
-
2010-2011 NBA Thread
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 10:12 PM) Oh I know. But you know how sensitive some get around here. I didn't want death threats if it was implied that I was saying Westbrook was equal or better than Rose. And how about that Ibaka? That dude is a fricken monster. The Perkins addition has had a noticeable impact on him. He's more freed up now to just wreak havoc on the boards and shot-blocking. I think he had 9. But he changed or altered at least 5 other shots by my count. That team is built for LA. Ibaka is going to just continue to get better. He's showing nice development and the upside is there with his athletismism.
-
2010-2011 NBA Thread
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 10:05 PM) I wasn't debating Rose and Westbrook. Rose is the better player. But Westbook is clearly a star player. Yeah, he was sporadic and definitely needs to play a smarter, more disciplined game going forward. And even with that he still fills up a stat sheet, though he stunk up the joint tonight. I guess ultimately what I'm saying is that you're in pretty damn good shape when Russell Westbrook is your second best player. Ridiculously good shape. Westbrook is a bonafide star and he's the 2nd best player on his team. No team is better set going forward than OKC. THey have legit talent throughout there lineup, nice depth, and seemingly a couple quality bigs, plus if they wanted to spend some money they could probably find a nice 4 to help them out. I love watching OKC and I think it would be pretty fun if for the next 5 years we saw OKC, Chicago, and I suppose Miami battling it out (Chicago/Miami in the East) and OKC in the West. It should also be important to indicate that someone is going to get some help a year from now when Howard, Paul, Deron, etc are all FA's.
-
Catch All Anything Thread
QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 06:02 PM) Of course I searched it. I really didn't see anything but old baseball gloves though. Me too
-
Job Hunt Thread
Nice. Good luck Sqwert. Where on the west coast?
-
2010-2011 NBA Thread
His defense has and always will be garbage.
-
Grillin?
QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 05:11 PM) I just grilled about 2 weeks ago. It was the last semi-decent day before all this bad weather. I'm due to buy another grill, but I'm pretty happy with the propane style cooking. I grill in the rain, haha. But every Sunday I'll pull my old BBQ out. A new favorite of mine is some bbq'd pork tenderloin with a one day marinade. Comes out delicious.
-
Catch All Anything Thread
Omaha is a nice city and I've heard the college world series is an awesome event to attend as a fan.
-
2010-2011 NBA Thread
QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 09:45 AM) Boozer hasn't been great but I haven't been thrilled with how they've utilized him. Hey sort of isolated him from the flow of the offense and just sort of tossed the ball to him to "get him going". He plays much better with pick and pops. And also the passes to him were usually a second too late. And even in addition to that, the refs were hounding him on the offensive end. The Bulls need to improve and work in Boozer. The guy is a very very efficient offensive player and unfortunately, given the team wasn't able to practice with him and hasn't had a lot of time playing with both Noah and Boozer, they just haven't developed the appropriate offensive rhythm with Carlos. I expect him to play significantly better next year (from an offensive efficiency standpoint) and I still think they'll get him going better the rest of the postseason. Boozer is a guy who has produced pretty well, from a historic standpoint, in the playoffs and against longer players (he's had some strong playoff series against the long Lakers).
-
2010-2011 NBA Thread
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 09:23 AM) This Boozer news doesnt bother me. Boozer has been 100 percent the weakest link on this team. His defense made Hansbrough look like an all star at times, he was missing bunnies all over the place, taking ill advised jumpshots with a hand in his face, taking 3 second penalties left and right. I dont mind seeing Gibson taking up time on the floor at all. I just wish it would mean we could see a bit more of Rasual Butler The thing is, we'll need Boozer. That said, I really like Gibson and think if he started for a full season we'd see how productive he really is. He needs to keep working on his jumper in the off-season and post game but I'm a big Gibson fan. Boozer won't have to worry about these big long teams for a while though since Orlando only has Dwight, the Heat aren't big, and Boston isn't as big as they once were. I expect Boozer to have a bounce back series and he will be a big key to how far the Bulls go or don't go this postseason, imo.
-
2010-2011 NBA Thread
QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 10:51 PM) We matched up very poorly against the Pacers. They had George and another F doubling Rose. Only Granger is a factor on offense so they could go max intensity on Rose. Hibbert caused problems underneath, too. The Heat don't have anything like that. They're not going to put Wade and James on Rose, they'd get tired too quickly, and they don't have the bench to make up for it so it'd cost them offense. Boston doesn't really have the answer either, although we are more evenly matched against them, and they don't have Perkins anymore. Atlanta is a total mismatch, I wouldn't be surprised if that ended in a sweep. Orlando is not particularly scary either. Stop them from killing you with threes, which the Bulls can do without that much difficulty, and it doesn't matter if Howard scores 45, they don't have anything else. Orlando scares me and I think they will be pulling off 3 wins in a row. Dwight is a beast and historically the Bulls have struggled against them. However, I will point out we played them well this year. Still, if they get hot, with there outside shooting, the Bulls could be in a tough spot. That Pacers series was tough though. s***, I really thought I'd get a relaxing first round before I had to start getting nervous as a fan. Glad they made game 5 easy And better yet, Drose will get some much needed rest.
-
MLB Attendance problem? (KC, CLE, Cubs, NY teams)
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 08:02 AM) Interesting spin there... This might be the accountant in me, but how is 100K equivalent to 5M but 300K equivalent to 25M in payroll. Not really following that fact pattern there.
-
2011 TV Thread
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2011 -> 05:11 PM) I'd like to say in advance...I don't care one bit about the Royal wedding, stop telling me about it, stop making me change the channel every 4 minutes to avoid hearing about it, just stop. Christ almighty. + 1 for me, My wife on the other hand, would smack me for saying that, haha.
-
2011 Films Thread
I wanted action over the weekend and finally saw Battle of LA. I don't care if it makes me an idiot, but I was thoroughly entertained throughout the entire movie. Very enjoyable flick and was worth seeing in the theatre because of the effects/sounds of the battle scenes. By and large, if I see a movie in the theatre now, it has to be a movie that is enhancded by the fantastic sound systems cause otherwise I'd just as well watch a movie from home on my big screen for a buck, haha.
-
Happy Belated Chisoxfn!
Thanks for the bday wishes!