Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
Something I just found that made me laugh out loud....
I wasn't too far off. Massett just sucked ass while he was with the Sox, hahah. And I knew there were things going on in the background between McCarthy and the White Sox.
-
White Sox 3B situation
QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 02:55 PM) http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...-looks-familiar What a f***ing idiot. Wood is a horrific defensive player who was once a much much more highly regarded prospect than Morel, but as of a year ago, most everyone thought Wood had major holes to his game. This comparison is utterly terrible. Note: I'm not stating that Morel will be great, just stating that the comparison made by Padilla is a horrendous one.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 01:17 PM) If I was an athlete coming out of college though, wouldn't you be scared that the potential money given for rookies could be much, much lower than it has been the last couple years. I would look at it as nothing has changed YET, so now is the time. And guys can definitely work out and train privately if there was no season. Obviously it's nothing like NFL practices and games, but look at what (ugh) Tebow did last year before he ever got paid. I think that would have been a better argument last year. I don't believe the players can sign under the current CBA, but I could be wrong. If they could, than that would be a huge counterpoint. It is like the NBA, they are saying that salaries are going to come down relatively significantly after this year so teams that gave big money out this past year, could end up getting hit pretty hard.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
But if you don't know and you aren't provided with assurances, than you might not get paid for an entire year. A year in which you play no football and aren't able to grow. The other way around, you further your education and can continue to make strides and get paid. The lockout is a pretty legitimate reason to stay in college or at least to consider staying in college. Again, depends on the circumstances and I can't pretend to be an expert on them.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 01:06 PM) Come on Balta, you're just assuming that a horrible lockout is certain. He's going to get his money, one way or another. And it'll be a lot. Pretty sure a horrible lockout is very very close to a certainty. Same thing for the NBA.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 01:02 PM) I still haven't gotten an answer on the "What money" part? I assume rookies will sign before hand. However, the threat of the lockout is a very very valid argument. I won't deny it at all and I would think that the NFL would have to provide some sort of assurances to rookies before I went pro.
-
Technology catch-all thread
I've been told by a very reliable person that the Verizon Iphone could be available in stores as soon as Feb 1.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 12:57 PM) There were several others around the internet that had Locker as the #1 prospect going into the season too, so I think it's kind of an internet thing for some reason. McShay is a total douche though. I don't want to say he knows nothing, but I think Kiper is far superior to him, and there are a lot of times that I think Kiper is a windbag that doesn't stop talking. #1 prospect this year, maybe. But even than that is a lot of preseason hooplah. All I know is that the NFL reportedly told Locker he graded outside of the 1st round.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 12:41 PM) Luck knows what happened with Locker and still wants to stay. Can't feel bad for him, he wants to come back. The only people thinking Locker was a first round talent was McShay and the scouts went out and have continuosly ripped McShay for how much his ratings can differ from the ratings of NFL execs.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 12:30 PM) Because it's a huge risk. Nothing to gain. Also see Locker, Jake. Locker was told by the NFL he wouldn't be a first round pick. That is why he didn't go pro. A better example is Matt Leinart. Idiotic decision by Luck though. Take the money and run. Great for Stanford though. Does this mean Harbaugh is staying another year?
-
2011 Films Thread
QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 11:15 AM) Surprisingly the A Team was better than both of those. Machette was a really poor mans Inglorious Basterds. I disagree. I hated Inglorious Basterds yet loved Machette.
-
2011 TV Thread
QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 10:18 AM) Maybe it's just me, but "Turn your brain off", "Train wreck", or "So bad, it's good" are NEVER phrases that entice me to watch any form of entertainment Except the White Sox, right, haha. Think of how many times last year we swore we'd never watch the game, but would still end up texting each other only to see the Sox blow things, haha.
-
2011 White Sox Top Prospects
QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 09:14 AM) Why not? He had a heck of a run in August and Sept. to help the sox make the playoffs. There were many people really angry, on this board and in the papers, that KW traded away a pitcher who has some success at the MLB level for a few guys who hadn't. How about Bobby Jenks and Gordon Beckham? I can't possibly believe this (not what you said PTAC, but what J4L said). At the time the deal was made, Brandon McCarthy was a very very hot name in baseball.
-
Inaugural Soxtalk Winter Meetings & Drinkathon
QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 09:51 AM) O'Hare or Midway? One snow flake typically cripples O'Hare. I'm coming into O'Hare. My Wife is coming into Midway. I know I know, we should be on the same flight, but we had miles on one airline to get her a free flight and I'm flying for work so mine is free already and I try to rack up all my miles with one airline.
-
Inaugural Soxtalk Winter Meetings & Drinkathon
Hopefully it won't impact flights.
-
2011 Films Thread
Machette was tremendously entertaining. Expendables wasn't as good as I expected, but still an entertaining no brainer action flick which unfortunately there aren't many of anymore.
-
Inaugural Soxtalk Winter Meetings & Drinkathon
Ah s***, seriously, its supposed to be snowing a lot on Friday.
-
Official 2010-11 NFL Thread
QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 08:19 AM) Yeah I read quite a few articles bashing the move and I'm in complete agreement with them. It sucks because I hate the Chargers more than any team in the league (outside of the Vikings and than Packers, whom I respect...Vikings, only hate). I also tend to hate the Raiders because the fans out here are complete tools, but you couldn't help but like this Raiders squad and watching there games with the crazy fans is just entertaining. The NFL is better when the Raiders are winning and it seems like they were headed down that path and than they do this. I didn't even think Cable was all that great, but he's a s***ton better than Hugh.
-
Official 2010-11 NFL Thread
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 08:12 AM) I believe you mean 6-0, but yeah, Al Davis does need to eat a bullet. I'd be so pissed as a Raiders fan. I guess, upon further review, their O-coordinator is taking the job and would have gone elsewhere, and was a huge reason for their offense improving by almost 2,000 yards. But still, f*** Al Davis. I don't know. Hugh Jackson wasn't going to get a head coaching gig anywhere else. Was he going to leave for another OC role? I didn't even think that would be possible since you need to get a promotion. This is a pretty foolish move to me.
-
Official 2010-11 NFL Thread
QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 08:47 PM) Ever since watching Hard Knocks, I thought Mark Sanchez seemed like a pretty cool guy, but he just went up another notch in my book. He's an overrated QB, but this is a really good story... http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5991920 Sanchez is a good guy and is a solid QB. He takes a lot of heat but he's getting better and is in just his 2nd year.
-
Official 2010-11 NFL Thread
QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 06:03 PM) Well, yes, that is definitely true. The NFL, seemingly more than any other sport, has the tendency for things to "get stale" b/t players and coaches. But, I still think it would be a bad move to get rid of him. Let me add that I'm a huge Jeff Fisher fan and would love him coaching the Bears if it was ever possible. A year ago, had I thought the Bears were going to have a shot at Fisher I'd be exstatic and rooting for him to get canned so they could hire him. However, the Bears aren't making any coaching moves and the Titans would be foolish to get rid of Fish.
-
2011 HOF is Roberto Alomar and Bert Blyleven.
Larry Walker, to me, was an incredible player. I'm stunned he got such a low percentage of the vote. Strong arm, true 5 tool player, and with the help of Coors had a few year stretch where each year him and Gwynn were trying to get that .400 mark. His 1997 through 1999 seasons were freaking ridiculous. Again, completely Coors aided and I realize his overall numbers aren't Hall worthy. But this was one of the best players in the game during that stretch of time. He was a dominant offensive player. He might have been roiding too for all I know.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
USC got hit incredibly hard for very little to be honest. They tore the whole program apart and didn't find anything more than the Bush scenario.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 07:50 AM) I remembered that wrong, I just remember Oregon trailing early and then dominating the rest of the game. Anyway, I am in favor of a playoff as well, but like you said, Oregon beat Stanford, so it was basically a playoff game. I'm just saying it wasn't the best example of a game to prove it - the TCU/Wisconsin game was. However if you are going to do it you have to do it right - do you have a 4 team playoff? 8? Anything above 8 is probably too much. If it's 8, what I don't think should happen is the 6 BCS conference champs and 2 at larges - it should just be the top 8 teams regardless. There are so many years where a conference deserves 2 or 3 bids, and with only 2 at large spots available, it becomes an issue. Winning your conference shouldn't get you in automatically. I think it could eventually happen, I'm just worried about the formatting they'll come up with if they finally get it done. Stanford went up early for an extended period of time in that game. Led at the half and was rolling through most of the 1st half until Oregon hit. And you don't go up as big as Stanford went early by being a chump team and you don't roll over a team like VaTech by being just mediocre. Stanford is a great argument for a playoff game. And yes, Stanford lost to Oregon but whose to say the outcome isn't different on a neutral field. Oregon is widely thought of as the biggest home field in the country when it comes to college football. Either way, it was a game of two. Stanford dominated early, Oregon dominated the remaining 2.5 quarters.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
Honestly, ESPN should never have asked Harbaugh about his timetable during the post-game celebration at the Orange Bowl. I could see it at the press conference, but when all of the players are on the field and they are immediately in the process of celebrating, it just seems incredibly tacky and unprofessional. Let the guys celebrate there big win. Harbaugh handled everything with class.