Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. Congrats Sqwert!!
  2. My wife and I have a 2005 Honda Pilot (been paid off for 2 years or so) and we just purchased a 2011 Toyota Highlander which replaced a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo. Pilot has about 115K on it and we hope to keep it for another few years. Assuming the cars hold up as planned, we plan on owning each of them for around 10 years in total. If I could get any car I'd want, within reason, I'd probably go Range Rover or 5 series BMW.
  3. It became time for me to unpin everything again.
  4. Chisoxfn replied to Y2HH's topic in SLaM
    I just got a new work phone and decided to go with the ATT Iphone versus the Verizon one for my work phone. Still keeping my blackberry for my personal phone.
  5. Just an FYI, but technically, you are still responsible to pay taxes on the goods purchased from Amazon. It is a "Use Tax" of sorts. However, no general consumer actually follows that rule. Businesses aren't quite as lucky as the IRS tends to audit there use tax. So if you purchased from Amazon in New York, but are using it in Indiana and thus didn't pay tax in New York, you'd be responsible for the portion in Indiana.
  6. Dang, would have been cool to catch up with ya. Hell, I didn't know I was going until work sprung it on anyone that was interested in going.
  7. I was at the game last night and even from the top of the UC the dunk looked amazing. First time I ever went to the UC. Very cool experience. Sat center court, two rows from the top. The cool thing was, I had a beautiful view of the 1st half of the National CHampionship game too and than saw the 2nd half from hotel.
  8. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 07:37 AM) You're sorta dancing around the issue so I'll ask it more specifically...Do you think they're overpaid? I think they are well paid. Nowhere do I say they are overpaid. I just think they have very good jobs, but they did what was necessary to get those jobs. It isn't like anyone can just become a firefighter or even a copy anymore. You typically need schooling (after high school) and have to be very good to eventually make it. And they provide a great public service, imo. And I'll point out, I've in the past looked at government gigs. If I took the job, I would be reducing my compensation now, however, part of why I'd even consider taking the job is the long-term benefits and job security that go into it. So If I left my industry and took another job for those reasons only to have that pulled out from under me, I completely understand why someone would be pissed. It is a delicate issue to me. My key is there are jobs out there that people don't do jack, but you know what, those jobs exist to an extent in both public and private business. Note: I won't even get to teachers. In California the teachers union is awful and has completely hindered good teachers from being rewarded and is to an extent keeping a whole lot of potential new teachers without jobs. I must know at least 10 people who have graduated and earned there credentials between 2 and 4 years ago that still can't do anything but sub (and you get paid jack to sub).
  9. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 03:39 PM) You're simply not going to get very far arguing that teachers and firefighters are vastly overpaid. At least in California and I have a few friends that took this path, but Firefighters make an incredibly good living. It is why it is one of the more difficult careers to get into in the area. The salaries are good, hours are good, and benefits are amazing. A firefighter will never be rich, but they won't be poor either. However, they do some great things for society as do police officers. Where I am, officers get paid very well as well. Again, not rich, but not poor, but not as much as firefighters. I'm only speaking of how stuff works in the county I live in as well as LA as I have a couple firefighter friends and a couple cop friends.
  10. Chisoxfn replied to SoxFan1's topic in SLaM
    Condolences Don.
  11. Chisoxfn replied to SoxFan1's topic in SLaM
    QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 06:35 PM) Make sure they give you the correct size BTW. I have been to several stores where they think the "baggy" look is still in and they try to give me ridiculously large pants and jackets. I just bought two new suits for work. Went to MW's and Macy's. Both were pretty similar but damn did Macy's have some amazing sales after January so I went with Macy's. But definitely, you want to go with the fitted look. I know for me I love my slim fit CK's.
  12. I think Oregon will win. I think they have the better defense. But I'd be lying if I was overly confident in my prediction, haha.
  13. Congrats!
  14. What are your qualifications? And what do you do?
  15. Glad everyone had fun.
  16. QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 04:42 AM) btw and fwiw, many years ago I thought of something. I was buying new cars every three years and enjoying some nice rides. I got to thinking if I buy 16 new cars in my lifetime that was going to be a fair amount of money. Not even going higher end, just saying an average of $25k I would be looking at $400,000 in my lifetime. Then I looked at my retirement planning and punched in some numbers. Ask yourself, is driving a less expensive car and keeping it longer, worth retiring four or five years sooner? Maybe at 60 instead of 65? The car replaced was 10 and the car we still own (other than our new one) is 6. Definitely like the idea of owning cars for an extended period of time for the long-term financial perspective.
  17. Everything said, Bears still have to win. They'll have to play well and protect the football.
  18. QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 05:42 PM) What an ending. I don't want to jinx it or anything, but it looks like we're going to the NFC Championship Game. You got to play the game and the Seahawks have always done a good job offensively (under Hassel) against the Bears. Its the playoffs and it will be a tough game.
  19. QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 11:35 AM) Santos isn't a product of the Sox system. We lucked into him. And his peripherals scream regression. I have no idea why you threw Carter and Infante at me. They've proven next to nothing. And even Carter's minor league numbers were mediocre. Thing is I was more than willing to give both a shot at the expense of handing out 2-3 year deals to relievers. You've been going downhill with your posting as of late, but this is just ridiculous. The White Sox were the first team to come to Santos and tell them they wanted him to pitch. They worked with him and made mechanical tweaks of him and they deserve absolutely all of the credit. Just like they deserve the credit for guys like Thorton. Of course Santos and Thorty also deserve credit.
  20. QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 11:06 AM) Dammit, a friend of mine just bought a 2011 F150 XLT, the exact model I want for $21,990 and 0% financing. Must not walk into a dealer.Must not walk into a dealer.Must not walk into a dealer.Must not walk into a dealer. That seems like a pretty good dealer. You going with the V6 or V8 version? Quad cab or regular?
  21. I would say no. You don't edit a work that is a literary classic, plus it provides perspective on where we were and where we are today as a society. Should we update all the shakespeare's works so the words match the current english language?
  22. QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 09:00 PM) He coached the Jags for 7 years after he was at Boston College. The Giants werent his first go around in the NFL. If Harbaugh gets the money they are rumoring(7-8 mil a year) I am going to laugh my ass off at TRU doing the dougie. But he was very succesful with the Jags. Led them to the AFC Conference finals twice and won coach of the year. He had NFL coaching experience prior to being the head coach for Boston College but it was nothing more than an assistant and only had head coaching gigs in college (Rochester something another and BC).
  23. On the Freddy trade, I said I thought Floyd would be dealt for Baldelli. LOL. I did say that I was ok with the deal though.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.