Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
Winter Meeting Buzz
Makes you think the Sox have to consider moving Quentin or a pitcher to get some other younger players on board. One nice thing is that the Sox should shed pitching payroll with Buehrle/Peavy coming off the books relatively soon so that should enable you to at some point offer Danks a hefty extension (if the Sox feel that is in there best interest). I'm becoming more and more open to a trade of one of our starters, as long as the club is able to get two top 100 MLB ready pitching prospects with upside in return (which I'm not sure is a realistic expectation).
-
Winter Meeting Buzz
I think JR is typically at this meetings. Might be wrong but I swear he was usually at the GM meetings. Either way, I wouldn't look any more into it because we all know about Paulie's relationship with the chairman. Nice trade by the Orioles.
-
Nats sign Werth
This is just an assinine contract. They better hope that they can win early in there years because this contract is horrid. Even worse, this sets the market for Carl Crawford at a lot of years and around 20M per year. That is unbelievable because Crawford isn't worth near that, imo.
-
Official 2010-11 NFL Thread
QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 12:48 PM) Cutler played EXCELLENT today. This is the type of performance that many will forget but he helped will this team to victory. I am very impressed. He has played really really well for the past few weeks and is making much better decisions. Bears are converting 3rd downs and scoring and putting together long drives. Oline still burries them but this offense is getting better every week. Defense was horrendous today, but I"ll give the Lions credit. THey did a nice job getting Stanton into manageable situations and Stanton played well.
-
Nats sign Werth
Oh, I should point out, probably a stupid move too. But for the Nats to get involved in this type of signing it is a huge statement. I'm guessing he's getting 15M a year too?
-
Nats sign Werth
Seriously, huge move by the Nats.
-
Split Season Upper Deck Tickets
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 11:45 PM) Sitting in the front few rows of most of the UD sections behind the plate are some of the best seats in the house. Much, much better than sitting in the outfield. Completely agree. The broadcasters for games sit where they do for a reason. The atmosphere and being close to the field can be pretty cool, especially if you just go to a couple games per year. But when it comes to season tickets, my dream tickets would be right behind home plate in the front row of the upper deck. You have the best perspective for watching the game and seeing everything. Just my 2 cents.
-
Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox
QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 07:14 AM) If they are "all in" like Williams states I really do not see a place for Viciedo on this team. In fact I think Viciedo will eventually be traded to get bullpen help. Morel will be the only "chance" player we take. Morel has true defensive skills he will stick. If Konerko doesn't resign, Lee might be the next target as you get a veteran, decent defensive player who is a good locker room guy. I do like the beltre Idea but I have no idea how this guy is in the locker room. Beltre seems like a good fit and I agree with you quick that if they are all in, Viciedo won't be starting. He could be dealt, but I think it is more likely that he gets a good chunk of ab's from the bench. The reason I don't believe the Sox will even come close with Beltre is that he's already got a 5 year deal on the table (from Oakland) at big money and I can't see the Sox going that long-term on a deal now that they have inked Dunn. To me, if the Sox could get 2 relievers plus Lee or just Paulie, I'd be perfectly fine with Lee as long as whatever slowed him last season isn't something that will never heal. I'd also be exstatic with Paulie coming back but I have to hope the Sox have resources to fill their pen because right now our pen is scary bad or at least scary unproven.
-
Boston DOES Acquire Gonzalez
QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 11:56 AM) With our terrible farm system? Not a prayer. We have no one that compares to Kelly or Rizzo. Sale > Kelly I could even make a case that VIciedo has much better overall tools than Rizzo. This was not a good deal on paper as it stands right now for the Padres, imo. They got guys that will not be in the majors this year, two of which are incredibly raw and could very easily fail. Not sure who the 4th player is. But the Sox could have put this type of package together, imo. It doesn't mean I would have done it though, since we have less depth and that type of trade would have seriously impacted our current club and long-term future and I'm glad with dunn.
-
Boston DOES Acquire Gonzalez
I'm surprised that the Padres did this. Kelly is very raw and not near a lock. I'm quite surprised and don't think the Pads did very well, but what do I know. Red Sox did great though.
-
Cancer, modern medicine
QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 01:05 PM) With the Jimmy V Classic coming up and the fact I have family members battling cancer made me wonder if you guys agree with conspiracy theorists who believe scientists/experts/medical personnel across the world are not trying to find cures for cancer. Almost every family has lost somebody to cancer. And yet no cure?? Conspiracy theorists would say there's so much money to be made by the medical community that it'd be a distaster financially to cure this horrid piece of s*** disease. Tell me there is no conspiracy and the medical community is really trying to cure cancer. You tell me why with all this money being raised yearly there's no cure in site????? I don't really agree with this. I think there might be more of a valid conspiracy for those diseases in which you need to take significant medication for life and that there might not be a financial interest in a cure since it would prevent you from generating those constant revenue streams. However, for cancer, the revenue generated is soley for trying to cure the disease or depending on the type and diagnosis, they try to comfort you as you pass on. I know for me, my grandma was a cancer survivor but eventually another form of cancer got her (she lived a long life though). I think more conspiracy theorist would point to things like diabetes or HIV as those are expensive drugs that the pharmacutical companies can sell and if there was a one time cure, than that revenue would be out the drain. That said, scientist that are performing the R&D often times work for think tanks and non-profit research institutions so they aren't necessarily incentized by how much money the drug ultimately creates and I certainly believe that people still have the best interest at heart and would never hold out on things like that. Yes, businesses have to make decisions but they also need to act ethical and put out what they feel are the best products available for the consumer benefit (and they'll price it to make money). However, to an extent, R&D money from internal companies is more likely to go to the projects they feel would have the best added monetary value but that is why you have so much government research and grants designated for the development for cures for certain diseases. I believe it will be a great day when the world can find a cure for all of the major diseases in this world (Cancer, HIV, etc)and for one minute I don't believe these cures already exist and are being kept a secret.
-
White Sox trade Scott Linebrink to Braves
QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 11:14 AM) Question for you guys in this thread.... when is the last time you've been THIS excited over an offseason? For me it's 2005 - not trying to draw parallels either, totally different circumstances, we were more frugal then anyway, now we're trying to be the Yankees or something - but in terms of filling holes with quality players, that's the last time I've been this happy as a Sox fan watching the offseason. This is f***ing great. I love it! Mark Teahen, come on down... Lets hope our bullpen doesn't collectively s*** itself like it did in 2006. We also know the rotation ran into some trouble after being over-extended in the postseason the year before. But man, that pen was horrific.
-
White Sox trade Scott Linebrink to Braves
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 11:09 AM) Right now: Thornton, Santos, Pena, and Infante are likely, Sale and Anthony Carter are plausible. You are correct that it is a bit sparse. However...it was a bit sparse before this trade as well. Regardless, we could use two quality relievers and one of those should be a closer or a potential closer. Putz and another guy would be nice. If we go with Thorty, than the club will need Putz plus another lefty (since Sale is apparently starting). I only say that because we know Ozzie likes having two lefties in the pen.
-
Pierzynski Back; 2 years, $8 million
I think this isn't Kenny telling Ozzie this is whats up. I think this is them realizing something didn't quite work and they are going to make a change and better the overall roster. I can't imagine Ozzie complaining too much with the move, as long as he still has a few fast guys and we still have some young players (Morel/Ramirez/Alexei/CQ/Beckman) who are in our everyday lineup.
-
White Sox trade Scott Linebrink to Braves
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 10:59 AM) Whether or not GM's fall for that, I think that's exactly what Kenny is doing. Otherwise...why would he have come out and said anything at all? There's no benefit to coming out and saying that Peavy won't be ready for April if he's not going to be ready, it puts us in a worse negotiating position in other ways, because teams will know that the Sox will be in the market for a 6th-starter type. I don't quite follow your rationale. If we are in the market of adding a starting pitcher, than having Peavy healthy actually makes it easier for us to trade for a starter (potentially) since we can say we are dealing from a position of strength. If he's not healthy, than I still don't see how it changes things because I'm pretty sure other teams know the Sox have to count on Peavy potentially returning anyway. I just don't agree with your rationale, but I also don't really think the Sox are considering moving Floyd/Danks at least not for what has been rumored. And if they do, I think they would have to be blown away and very very confident that Peavy will be back healthy (which I don't see). I know one thing, I really don't want Freddy back. I know he was a valuable innings eater, but I just like the idea that guys have upside and he has none of it.
-
White Sox trade Scott Linebrink to Braves
I'll f***ing take that.
-
White Sox trade Scott Linebrink to Braves
QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 10:51 AM) Omar is a zillion times better in the IF and Jones at worst probably costs half what Teahen makes. Dumping that piece of garbage and replacing him with Jones, then getting out of that 2012 commitment with some extra cash in our pockets makes us a better baseball team. I don't know if you are just going to be able to dump him, but I could be wrong. If it takes 6M to remove him, than I don't know if I agree with that.
-
White Sox trade Scott Linebrink to Braves
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 10:50 AM) I still think KW is flat out lying when he says Peavy won't be ready for opening day. What value is there in him lying about that? Does he feel it gives him more leverage? And if so, how? Unless you feel that he wants to move one of our starters and he can say, hey, I don't want to trade starter X and can't trade him because Peavy won't be back, so you need to blow me away? But I don't really think many GM's are going to fall for that. Ultimately, when it comes to any trade you need to determine if the other team is going to give you what you consider appropriate value and vice versa.
-
White Sox trade Scott Linebrink to Braves
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 10:47 AM) By the way...everyone is writing down that they're not allowed to complain when Linebrink has a legitimate solid season in the NL, right? I think he will be solid. I don't think he's worth what the Sox were paying him and he didn't really fit our roll since we need more regularly consistent set-up guys. Since as of now we essentially have Santos and Thorty (thorty is a rock if healthy, but Santos is still very raw). I might be missing someone, but Sale is our 5th starter currently.
-
White Sox trade Scott Linebrink to Braves
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 10:46 AM) Teahen is overpaid for his job...but being able to be a backup IF and backup OF in a pinch is really useful for that 4th guy off the bench. It makes no sense to dump Teahen if we have to send salary along with him. In the current situation, Teahen could be pretty valuable. Its nice having a guy like him who you can go to in a pinch at multiple positions. I wish he didn't make quite as much as he did, but there is some value in that flexibility. Plus if Morel struggles at third you at least have another option instead of just using Omar Vizquel full time (or Viciedo), not that I want Teahen to be a regular at 3B.
-
White Sox trade Scott Linebrink to Braves
If we have Tony Pena, we don't really need DJ, imo.
-
Lee or Konerko?
QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 10:07 AM) Besides the fact that D.Lee is one whole year older, everything else is in his favor. He's got a higher career ops, much better defender, better athlete and will make much less money on this upcoming contract and once again, this is a real easy decision imo. The fact that Derrek had a bad first half of last season while battling some injuries doesn't change that fact. I really like the idea of Dlee. I don't know what his long-term health outlook looks like, but if he's fine than I'm ok with him on a 2yr deal worth 14-20M in guaranteed plus some incentives. I think it would be foolish to assume he's going to get half of what Konerko gets in general. It isn't like Lee is some scrub. I think a lot of you suggesting we can get him at 5 to 6M are severley underestimating his value. I could be wrong though, but he's been pretty productive the past few seasons and has been relatively healthy over his career. If he ends up with 5 to 6 per season, its because not enough teams are in the market for a 1st baseman and he ends up having to take less, but he'd look damn good at 1B. If we had an option of Paulie and no relievers or DLee at a few mill less plus an added arm to our pen, I'll go Dlee.
-
White Sox trade Scott Linebrink to Braves
The Dodgers actually like Link a bit and he pitched a little bit for the big league team at the end of the season. Plus Link (along with Ely) helped us get Pierre. Link worked out since we got him in a deadline deal for Mr. Mack IIRC.
-
White Sox trade Scott Linebrink to Braves
Sox must have sent at least a couple million, right?
-
White Sox trade Scott Linebrink to Braves
Cofield was one of six players in the Braves organization who played in the AFL. Apparently he has a good body type and nice velocity. Cox has liked him dating back to 2007/2008. This isn't a bad deal, especially if there is no salary involved. I wonder what he did in the AFL.