Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 09:46 AM) How do those numbers mean very little? WAR is calculated based off of offensive and defensive ability. Their monetary values correlate with the money teams pay per win share, and I think it's generally around $4 mill or so. So, technically, if Huff produces a 6 WAR, he'll be worth his contract. The only thing I don't like about it is that UZR is incorporated into it, when I almost think they should use a 3 year UZR rating just due to the discrepancies from year to year. Anyways, their monetary values are obviously not that simple (ooh, Alexei is worth $6 million and Konerko is worth $7.9, and Quentin is only worth $650K) and quite a bit more goes into the justification of a contract and whether or not it's ultimately "worth it." Oh, and Aubrey Huff was worth -$6 million last year because he was absolutely horrendous offensively (.694 OPS, which is Kotsay-ian) in a year where offense was not nearly as down as it was this year, and he didn't measure well defensively. Again, it doesn't mean he was going to sign up to give $6 mill back to whatever organization he played for, but it does mean that he was a huge detriment to whatever team he did play for. I don't think you can argue with that. No one can be worth negative money. That is the point. So when you have guys in the negative, you now are ultra inflating the other parties.
-
2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All
I don't really like fangraph player values, in fact I downright hate them. The numbers they have mean very little and you can't just arbitrarily compare those numbers to what someone is getting paid. It is pretty impossible to be a -6 million per year player, imo.
-
2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All
Stupid stupid stupid move.
-
Tigers sign Victor Martinez 4yr/$50m
People really don't use common sense. If the Sox bid 3yrs 48 million and the Tigers bid is 4yrs 50 million, why in the hell would the Sox not just offer the extra year and 2 million? Clearly the Sox didn't offer 3 years and 48 million.
-
Tigers sign Victor Martinez 4yr/$50m
The latest reports seem to indicate he has in fact signed with the Tigers?
-
Tigers sign Victor Martinez 4yr/$50m
Interesting. He is a left handed bat that would add value and I suppose fill a need. That is a lot of money though.
-
2010-2011 NBA Thread
QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 09:04 AM) When the heck is Boozer coming back? Supposedly the 1st week of December. Might slide into the 2nd week though.
-
2010-2011 NBA Thread
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 09:04 AM) I'm surprised it took someone that long to write that. Now I will admit, Deng has injury problems that could blow up in his face. But he's playing the best basketball of his career right now and appears to be a pretty darn solid fit in Thib's motion offense. He has his flaws and limitations and isn't worth what he gets paid, but as long as he's on the court (and he appears to be showing that those 2 years might have been flukes), he's been a relatively productive ballplayer.
-
2010-2011 NBA Thread
QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 08:37 AM) Baron is the 3rd most unmovable contract right next to Luol Deng and Elton Brand in the NBA. You're not going to get any pieces for him. Kaman can net you something, but then you better hope DeAndre develops quickly which it doesn't look like he will. This is so laughable. Baron Davis and Elton Brand are worthless, while Luol Deng is a 20 ppg, 6 rpg, 3 apg player who will play solid defense and shoot a pretty good field goal percentage. Your hate of all things Deng is ridiculous. And yes, Deng has a big contract, but please don't compare him to Brand/Davis.
-
The New Harry Potter Film
QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 21, 2010 -> 10:44 AM) Haters gonna hate... If people think they're too "cool" or "old" to read Harry Potter, that's fine. But they're missing out. I hadn't read the book, but as always thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I liked this more than the last Harry Potter, which coincidentally was the one I liked the least.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread
Wow, Iowa beat Alabama. Bahahaaa. I will say that for every team Iowa beats this year.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
Coker looked good all game, I wish we would have seen more of him.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
SHould have been. Either way, Iowa would have f***ed it up. They proved it this year, that they weren't able to close out games and do the little things to win. 4 losses when they had leads in the final 2:30 minutes.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 03:24 PM) Looked like he snuck his foot in I thought the ball moved though. But either way you got to play D and Iowa didn't there. Stanzi, make yourself an Iowa legend here.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
So, Iowa is gonna totally have 4 losses all with there vaunted defense giving up late TD's. f***ing sad.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
Wow, surprised that call stood.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
Oh and Iowa's special teams (outside of its punter) is f***ing horrendous.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
OSU wideout bobbles the ball when he hits, so I would like to think that will get overturned.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
OSU just dropped a go ahead touchdown. Lucky for them Prior is putting this team on his back and just converted a 4th down against my Hawkeyes. Come on Iowa. f***, Iowa is gonna have to go down the field and do something. That missed field goal will probably cost em. Play being challenged.
-
Sox should target Josh Willingham
QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 01:55 PM) Players in their walk years tend to produce. That has been statistically proven to be a myth.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread
I'd be pissed if I was a player who dove and broke my kneck because i hit the ivy bricks.
-
2010 Fall TV Thread
QUOTE (kev211 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 01:11 AM) Goddamn Fringe has been unbelievably awesome this season. It's totally rewarding the people who have watched it this far. Hells yes
-
Official 2010-11 NFL Thread
Beautiful, win #7 on the season and #700 for the franchise!!! One of the most relaxing Bears games I've watched in years.
-
Official 2010-11 NFL Thread
Beautiful first down slant to Knox by Jay.
-
Official 2010-11 NFL Thread
QUOTE (T R U @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 08:06 PM) worthless, if I had thought Thigpen was gonna be this bad I wouldn't have even said anything.. Why didn't they try to run though? They were dropping and passing quite a bit even though the game was within a score for the whole first half. Thigpen was awful, Bears defense has been great, but for a team that can run like Miami I'm surprised they didn't try to hide/protect Thigpen a hell of a lot more.