Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 08:37 AM) I may be putting too much into to this but I believe some teams may be turned off by the fact Viciedo is owed 10 mil a year (I believe) for a guy who is still a work in progress. He was paid a 4 M bonus and gets 6M over a 4 year span, IIRC. So he is quiet cheap.
  2. If we are talking sinker-ballers, how about Fausto Carmona?
  3. Chisoxfn posted a topic in Pale Hose Talk
    And no, I'm not talking about striking out the side, although I certainly wouldn't complain if you did that from here on out. But the agression in which you pitched with yesterday should be done everyday from here on out. You clearly still have the stuff and velocity, but instead of focusing on your best stuff, you work more as if you were a starting pitcher trying to utilize multiple pitches and being pretty. It don't have to be pretty, you are a power closer. Utilize that nasty hook and power fastball. You really don't need to out-think hitters, they can't touch you when you are throwing those two pitches with even mediocre command. Last night was vintage Jenks. It reminded me of 2005. He was upper 90's on velocity and than just snapped some lethal curves.
  4. Raul Ibanez is another guy whose struggling that might become available and could probably benefit from being able to DH a decent chunk. He's having a down year for the Phillies and if the Phillies get Oswalt they might need to free up a few million.
  5. QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 08:26 AM) Is Matsui under team control next year? I can't remember and am too lazy to look it up. I believe he's a FA at the end of the year. Matsui is a solid fit too, albeit he is having his worse season of his career, but he's got 15HR's. However, we can't even pretend that Matsui could play in the OF. I don't like the idea of Abreu out there, but he really isn't much worse than Quentin so I can live with that. Matsui, well that is just ugly out in the OF.
  6. QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 08:20 AM) Abreu would come cheap since he does have the contract obligation. I think he makes around $10 million next year. I wouldn't mind if we got Abreu, he does make this team better. Hell, anyone makes this team better because of Kotsay. And I didn't realize that the Angels are now in third place and at .500... Talk about a big swing since the Haren deal. Piniero is out for the next 8 weeks too. Basically put, they really have almost no shot at the division right now so they are basically in a next year mode. I think if the Angels were willing to kick in 5M, Abreu wouldn't look that bad, even if we needed him next year. He tends to be a good OBP guy and while he's slowed down a lot, he still can do some nice things for our team (smart base-runner, draws walks, can handle the bat). The big thing I consider is that I think I'd rather have Abreu or Matsui and still have Hudson than a lot of our other options.
  7. QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 08:16 AM) Abreu's expensive next year. He's getting old really fast, the bat's been mediocre this year and bad for his standards. His defense is bad, although not Carlos Quentin bad. Quite frankly, Abreu would end up hitting second in this lineup. He doesn't have enough power to hit 5th. I actually didn't realize Abreu was under contract next season as well. And in no way shape or form would I be a fan of having Abreu for anymore than this year. But I do think him/Matsui would be pretty solid fits for our squad this year. I think they make us better, without making us worse long-term (since we don't have to give up a ton of prospects) and essentially can keep Huddy in our rotation (which I actually think is a good thing).
  8. The Jays seem to be asking an awful lot for Downs.
  9. The Angels had a team meeting yesterday with GM Reagins, Scioscia and coaches and it is believed that the tone of the meeting was around the upcoming trade deadline and the future of the organization. While the Angels aren't waving the white flag, it appears that there focus has turned towards getting ready for the 2011 season and that means players who won't be around after this season will be available for pieces that can help the Angels going forward. That list includes Brian Fuentes, Hideki Matsui, and Bobby Abreu. While the Sox would have no interest in Fuentes, we have had interest in the past in Matsui and Abreu. Abreu would probably be a better fit given that Ozzie doesn't want a full time DH and while Abreu isn't a good defensive outfielder, neither is Quentin and the offensive upgrade would be pretty significant over our current DH situation. Neither Abreu or Matsui are exactly having great years, but Matsui has 15 HR's and Abreu has a respectable ~.350 OBP. Abreu is putting up pretty solid numbers against RHP, which would work perfect, given the fact that we could utilize Viciedo against tougher left handed pitchers. The beauty of both of these guys are they are seasoned vets who wouldn't rock the boat in the Sox clubhouse. They both have post-season experience and neither would cost the White Sox significant prospects, thus enabling them to keep Hudson in the rotation. Personally I got a feeling this might be the route the Sox go.
  10. Guys, this really is Shipps and Shipps alone.
  11. QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 08:46 AM) Would you trade Jenks today and hand over the reigns with two months left to go to Putz/Thornton/Santos? Risky move...but it's perhaps even riskier to keep Jenks on this ballclub if he's not the official closer. One of many decisions I wouldn't be particularly enjoying to make in KW's shoes. I would if it meant we could keep Hudson and acquire Dunn with the prospect you get from Jenks plus a combo of Flowers/Danks2/Morel/etc.
  12. Awesome. Welcome aboard!!!!
  13. That would be something I was all for. Never going to happen though.
  14. QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:23 PM) Would you guys do this trade (and do you think the DBacks would bite?) Gordon Beckham + Daniel Hudson for Edwin Jackson + Kelly Johnson? You keep your Vizquel/Viciedo/Teahen TriPlatoon at 3B for the rest of the year, or until the playoffs, you get a left-handed hitter with a decent OBP & Pop playing where Beckham was, and you have a rotation going into the playoffs that's pretty solid, and your 2011 rotation would be pretty ridiculous, and you have Johnson locked up for 2011 as well Edit: This also allows you to keep the DH spot a swinging door between Quentin/Konerko/Viciedo or whatever versatility Ozzie wants Are you insane? That package would be twice as good as what the Dbacks got for Dan Haren.
  15. QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 01:10 PM) Levine says to acquire Dunn it is going to take Hudson + one of Flowers/Morel/Bad Danks. http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5414243 I would have a hard time parting with Hudson, solely because of Peavy's injury. Had Peavy not been hurt, sign me up. I wonder if we could do VIciedo and two of that group? I think I would do it, but even than, I have my doubts as to whether we would be a World Series contender which makes me partially think twice. I wouldn't have those doubts if Peavy didn't go down.
  16. QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 11:35 AM) His FIP has constantly been around 4.6-4.8. He's not a good pitcher and he really doesn't have much room to improve. Mark Buehrle would also stink. His Xfip has been 4.61 (09), 4.1 (08), 4.6 (07), and 5.01 (06). Typically put, pitchers without a ton of strikeout stuff who are more the prototypical lefties are going to have a little higher statisitcal numbers, but that doesn't necessarily make them bad pitchers. I've watched a lot of Saunders and he isn't a bum. He is a league average pitcher who has been successful in the AL. Is he a stud, hell no, but would he look good in our rotation right now, yes.
  17. QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 09:57 AM) I wonder who the young pitchers would be that ended up in Arizona. Would they be Sox prospects or Nationals prospects. Viciedo, Buch, Holmberg, and Flowers? Nats than keep Viciedo & Flowers and than add a couple arms? I'm just throwing out s***, nothing more, not even sure if I would do that or not. But it would be intriguing. I would trade Viciedo and Flowers for Dunn, but I doubt that is enough for the Nats. And if you can't resign Dunn, take your comp picks and hopefully draft well.
  18. QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 09:55 AM) Who would we send to AZ? We don't have many good arms in the minors. I assume we'd send Viciedo and others to the Nationals, who would keep some of the guys the Sox got and send other prospects to the Dbacks. That or we are going to be giving up a plethora of far lower level guys like the Holmberg's, etc, who I wouldn't assume have that much value at this point (as they are pretty unproven).
  19. I wonder who the young pitchers would be that ended up in Arizona. Would they be Sox prospects or Nationals prospects.
  20. QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 09:51 AM) Hudson was nibbling yesterday, and then he fell apart a bit in the 2nd when that dribbler got past beckham. I like his stuff, he has a ton of movement on his fast ball and when he has confidence in his pitches that changeup will be a wipeout pitch. I havent seen him use his slider too much yet, and I agree it has looked pretty flat so far Yesterday, I thought he pitched better than the numbers indicated, but I didn't think he pitched good, either.
  21. Awesome stuff. Buch is a guy to keep an eye on. He has quality stuff.
  22. QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 09:29 AM) Have you honestly seen a good slider from him though? I sure haven't. As I keep repeating, he has a plus change-up though that will really benefit him. I've seen some nice sliders from him. The Mariners game was pretty. But you are right, his change-up is a real nice pitch too. The key is, he has some good stuff that he will have to work on refining but he's already made a s***-ton of progress since being drafted by the organization and I fully believe him to be very coachable, with good stuff, and with that I am confident that he will be a big piece for us over the next 5 years.
  23. QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 09:32 AM) That package is a lot better than what the Angels gave up. Hudson projects to be about the same pitcher as Saunders this year and he has room to improve. Sale is kind of similar to Skaggs, but Santos is a lot better than Rodriguez. In fact, I think the advantages that the Sox prospects overshadow the fact that the Angels also gave up an extra guy in Corbin. And I think I did point out that the Sox package, if they had offered that, would have been a bit stronger than the Angels offer. I also said I wouldn't make the trade as I have no interest in adding another starter with a hefty salary.
  24. QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 09:29 AM) It depends on the scouts you ask, for Poreda couldve been looked at as a potential ace in some eyes, and in others a potential lights out closer. Skaggs has potential, but is still at A ball. Comparable to Dex, but probably better. Ive never been impressed my Saunders and would put him around Richard's value, especially when you consider you will have to pay around 6 million for him next year. And when you consider the contracts/injuries of Peavey/Haren I would give the edge to Haren and the package given up for him as a better trade for the Angels than peavey for the Sox. Poreda was a 1 pitch pitcher who was out of college. Skaggs was a top prep arm who fell due to signability concerns more than concerns over upside.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.