Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 09:57 AM) Your post makes no sense. In the first part you claim that they won't go over the salary cap because of what might happen two years down the road, but then in the next part with actual quotes they're trying to add at least one max salary player, if not two. If you're really peterified about a $52 mil luxury tax two years down the road, wouldn't you think not paying someone $17-18 mil a year (since it's two years down the road we're factoring in raises) would be a good way to avoid it? If they go the two-max deal route, that'd be over this imaginary $52 mil luxury tax that has yet to happen with two max salaries, Rose, a likely Noah extension and the remaining roster filler. If they moved Hinrich and Salmons, they'd probably be over it with a max deal, Deng, Rose, the same Noah extension and the rest of the roster (even if you got Noah at $6 mil, they'd only have $10 mil left for the other 8 active roster spots). About the only way they could avoid the tax in that scenario is if they didn't make any trades, let everyone walk that expires between now and then and filled out the roster with guys making no more than $5 mil, which might cause rioting among Bulls fans. If the luxury tax really fell that far, they'd be f***ed not matter what they do, so I have a very hard time believing that they wouldn't use the current $52 mil of cap space. Besides, even if they went $10 mil over that theoretical tax they'd still be at roughly the same roster expenses the Bulls had the last few years, so assuming they'd still avoid it like the plague is a pretty major assumption. There's a pretty big difference between not adding an end of the bench guy that won't make an impact to definitively avoid the tax on a team that already has a payroll around $70 mil while struggling with the .500 mark and threatening the long-term health of your team by not spending on starting talent to possibly avoid a tax two years down the road that is almost $20 mil below what you spent the last several years. If the Bulls can get 2 max fa's to work, keep Deng/Noah/Rose....they will most certainly be willing to pay the luxury tax. No f***ing doubt about it. That team would contend and I believe win multiple titles. Jerry won't pay luxury tax for Byars because Byars doesn't make the team ridiculously better. My question is can the Bulls even have enough room under the cap to offer 2 max guys without moving Deng/Hinrich/Salmons? I didn't think there was a way to do it if Deng was on the roster, but I might be wrong?
-
Catch All Anything Thread
QUOTE (Soxy @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 10:29 AM) So, I didn't have dental insurance for about 6 years. And I went to the dentist for the first time in that long on Tuesday. And I have s***ty teeth (thanks mom and dad!). So I have 7 cavities. Had 3 taken care of yesterday. My jaw is about 7 kinds of sore today. At least I have insurance! I brushed regularly through college (well still do now of course) and hadn't gone for like 3 years in college. Went when I had my insurance at Deloitte and got hammered with some fillings. I thought I'd have been fine since I brushed regularly. I now realize the importance of a 6 month check up. Oh and now I don't just brush twice a day, I floss twice a day too.
-
Best burger joint
QUOTE (3E8 @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 11:15 PM) Portillo's double cheese was my favorite burger when I lived in Chicagoland. I don't know how Red Robin survives. Why do people want to pay 10 bucks to eat a s***ty burger in a place often filled with screaming kids. You may be doing a disservice by not including bars. There are at least 3 dive bars around where I live now that serve cheap kick ass burgers Red Robin has a weird ass vibe, but there burgers have always been real good, imo.
-
Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC
I take it Aj and Damon are really tight?
-
Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC
Come on Sox...this would excite me.
-
Relationship Advice Thread
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 01:11 PM) to each his own. I was very good friends with my wife before we became romantically involved. And me with my fiance. I'm glad too because at the time we were friends, I wasn't really interested in being in a serious relationship.
-
Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread
QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 06:09 AM) The Bulls could get Anthony Johnson from the Magic for a future 2nd round pick if they needed another PG. The only deal I could see Hinrich moving in is one for Ray Allen. I think the Bulls are pretty much stuck with Salmons also, but I know they've offered him in exchange for J.J Redick also (since Redick's deal expires at the end of the season, while Salmons is a lock to exercise his player option in the off-season). Reddick would be a good fit on the Bulls and could turn into a nice bench piece (they could use a shooter and JJ's actually been better than expected). I'm pretty excited about the possibilities the Bulls have. Who knows if they pull it off, but my goal is they sign two guys (at least one of them being Bosh/Wade/Lebron) and hire Karl as there coach.
-
Relationship Advice Thread
QUOTE (The Beast @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 02:40 PM) The approach seems to work, I just haven't developed my personality yet. What I mean by that is I haven't really fleshed out yet who I want to be. I used to be a deep introvert who was opposed to social events and was satisfied with limited contacts, nights of video games and doing nothing but World of Warcraft and other bulls*** of the like. Now I am going out, trying to polish up on some social skills I missed out on my first year of college and am generally just wanting to have a good time and meet new people. That sounds like a good approach to take. I just need to remember to stay clear of the friend zone and get to know something concrete about her. Two questions -- I'm going to be 22 and I think the appropriate age range is 20-24. I don't go for 17-19 year olds. Is my age range a good target? What's more important on getting, the email or the phone number? Funny you mention that - the guys I have hung with generally don't have girlfriends and the one who has a girlfriend is friends with a bunch of b****es. Not to mention they are all the artsy type who latch onto their little clique of friends. The concept of being cocky and funny is foreign to me. I'm the guy who gets too caught up in the friend zone. As far as Valentine's Day goes, if I was back home I would definitely treat my current female of interest out and indulge in a long evening of sex. Seriously Ross, throw all these ridiculous theories out the window and go out and have fun. You are doing way too much thinking and not even doing (ie, experiencing things). Don't worry about who you are going to be and all that, too much shrink talk or something, go out and have f***ing fun and everything else will work its way out (but be responsible obviously).
-
Relationship Advice Thread
QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 12:17 PM) So what is everyone doing for their ladies for Valentine's Day? I have to work Sunday night (I know, darn), so I am sending a bouquet of different colored roses (why the hell do flowers cost $125??) and also giving her a pair of sunglasses she has wanted. I am sure I will be forced to pay for an expensive dinner at some point too, but at least not this weekend. What about you guys? Any of the single guys planning on making a move on a lovely lady you know? I used proflowers and got my lady the 19.99 bloom special thingy. Nothing fancy, but flowers are flowers in my book. She'll actually get them early cause I don't want to pay the service fee to have them delivered on Sunday. Otherwise we are just going to spend the day together (going to a travel convention to get further info for our honeymoon) and I bought some candles and will do a candle lit dinner and a movie at home.
-
Relationship Advice Thread
QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 08:07 AM) The thing you have to keep in mind is that you can't make it seem like you're going out of your way to be an ***hole. In your hypothetical situation it should go like this... Girl A is at the bar. you walk up. "bartender, can I get another one of what she's having" The bartender hands you the drink and you slide it over to her friend (girl B ) and walk away. I haven't had much success with that approach so I'll give you one that I have had success with. Girl A is at the bar. you walk up. "bartender, can I get another one of what she's having and a miller lite", give her the drink. find out her name and hang out with her a bit. I've had the most success "people watching", making fun of people in the bar. Nobody criticizes people like women do, they love it. The point is to get her laughing. She will see that you can be an ***hole but she'll keep talking to you because it's not directed at her. The first night isn't so much about being an ***hole as it is showing her your sense of humor. You want to show her a good time the first night. After that you wait 2 or 3 days before talking to her again, the ***hole in you should be natural. You're in no hurry to make plans and the general attitude is "whatever". An important note is that you don't want to be an ***hole everyday. You have to show her flashes of that guy she had fun with at the bar. It's a fine line that will take a lot of practice to master. To clarify, that isn't really being an Ahole. And I do think that approach would come off strong in a bar/club. You appear confident and funny, two things a girl loves.
-
Relationship Advice Thread
QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 07:12 AM) yeah I am afraid it might be asking for some tension that doesnt have to be there. But like you guys said it will be a good test to whether we should be getting married or not. Who offered up the idea or did it come up mutually?
-
Relationship Advice Thread
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 06:56 AM) haha, bunking is not the same as living with each other It isn't, but it is also a good sign that things should go smoothly once you move in together. There will be growing pains at times since you no longer have your own place to go to just be by yourself but at the same time if you are spending as much time with each other as I hear you are, it shouldn't be a huge change. Congrats Shipps!!!
-
Relationship Advice Thread
QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 06:15 AM) I think I am moving in with my girlfriend...this can totally blow up in my face but I guess we have to just take chances in life sometimes. To Mario's or her place?
-
Relationship Advice Thread
QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 07:06 PM) The worse you treat a woman the more she'll want you. Nice guys finish last, always. This doesn't mean you have the green light to smack the s*** out of her. It's a very fine line that should only be walked by an experienced ***hole. This is helpful for the next time. You won't be able to pull it off now because she knows you too well. Being an ***hole won't come off as natural at this point, it will seem forced and backfire on you. For now, be the rebound guy. Be the shoulder she can cry on and once the moment is right, take full advantage of the situation. At this point you're just trying to get whatever you can. You are full of crap. Spitting out theortical lines from TV shows. It don't work that way in the real world. No, you don't have to be ridiculously nice (or fake nice) but if you are a total dick you are probably getting with some pretty ridiculous chicks anyway. Ones that I'd have little interest in being with.
-
Catch All Anything Thread
Sweet...passed my physical and drug test for my new job and officially start on Feb 22nd!!!! Beckman Coulter...here I come
-
Massive Toyota recall/halt in production
Plus in just a matter of a seconds you are gonna be panicking a bit. I figured you'd put it in neutral but who knows, but the time you do that you might have already plowed into something. The problem is, if you go in neutral, your engine will explode pretty quickly and at that point you will lose power steering which would make things a bit more difficult I'd assume. Still, your best bet if it happens, throw your car in neutral and get the f over and parked.
-
HEY! I can see my tent from heeeeerrrrreeeeeee
Whose tent?
-
Too early for a 2010 Mock Draft? Maybe
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 09:02 AM) Keep in mind we are talking about at least Stausburg money. If he's drafted at 13 he wouldn't be getting Strausburg money most likely. STill, it would be a very risky pick and you'd have to be willing to pony up the dough. If he did fall all the way to 13, it would be because he isn't actually the consensus #1 pick.
-
Too early for a 2010 Mock Draft? Maybe
QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 06:19 PM) Andy does great work. I'm looking forward to the draft notebook. In regards to the draft, I would be shocked if they don't use their first round pick on a pitcher. The organization has stated that pitching will be their focus in the upcoming draft, and rightfully so. There isn't any advanced (impact) pitching talent beyond Hudson. Luckily the strength of this years class seems to be in the arms. Quite a few intriguing prep arms at the top of the class and plenty of college arms with decent upside as well. It's still way too early for mocks, but I'm betting on a higher upside college arm taken with the the 13th pick. Names that could be available at that point are Jesse Hahn, Deck McGuire, Drew Pomeranz, Alex Wimmers, Brandon Workman, Chris Sale, Kyle Blair, and Chad Bettis. Taking a prep arm would be unexpected, but I'm a huge fan of DeAndre Smelter and his nasty splitter, as well as a Dylan Covey with that hammer curve. Clearly all of this is subject to change and the board will likely look completely different by June, but draft talk is fun, especially with college ball starting in a few weeks. IF an advanced college bat is available who could be a middle of the order guy, I don't see the Sox passing on him. Otherwise I see them going the route of a pitcher. At 13, the organization should have at least a few really talented guys available.
-
Catch All Anything Thread
Well, took my physical and drug test for what will hopefully be my new job. I am not too concerned, but until it is done, you never know. And no, I don't do drugs, but who the heck knows what could happen (they could switch samples or whatever). Pretty stoked though...my last day at my current gig is the 19th of this month.
-
Way To Go Jerry!
This really is ridiculous. However, I understand the thought process but everyone else has new stadiums so it really makes zero sense. If all the teams or a good chunk of the teams were in need of a new stadium I could see them thinking this could worse and they could use these funds over the years to bank and ensure that the cactus league sticks around. But in its current state it is absolutely freaking ridiculous. Plus, didn't the Sox have to actually spend money to get out of there lease?
-
Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread
QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 03:54 PM) I'm talking about Bears fans being stupid. I gave up on them about 2 years ago. I'm kind of embarrassed that I have to be associated with a lot of them actually. One of the all around most dumb fan-bases ever to be honest.
-
Forgive Student Loan Debt to Stimulate the Economy
QUOTE (The Gooch @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 03:36 PM) But they are not included in the estimates for earnings of college graduates I don't care, never did I say they were. I don't think going to a trade should be included as someone who just finished high school and did nothing else. There is a big difference than graduating from high school and than working at Walmart as a cashier than there is graduating high school working with someone in the field during high school and continuing that on during the next few years and becoming a very skilled tradesmen. In America we should be pushing people two ways...into an established trade program or into college.
-
Relationship Advice Thread
QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 03:02 PM) dude, you have no idea. I'm just thankful that it happened while I was young enough to turn my life around. If I didn't get popped who knows what my life would be like today... Glad to see the event, despite how s***ty it was at the time, turned into a blessing in disguise, and ultimately helped you become a better man!!!!
-
Forgive Student Loan Debt to Stimulate the Economy
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 02:53 PM) That misses the point of the idea that getting a college degree means you'll earn more. No, because a trade is a degree. It isn't anything less than that. I got a degree in accounting/finance so I could go into that. In the trade world, you usually are an apprentice for a few years, hone your craft, and get good and at that point hopefully become a contractor or master craftsmen, etc. That time you are learning is when you are essentially earning your degree in your skill so that you can be on your own one day. Just like I went to school to learn accounting so I could be on my own one day. A degree from here or learning a trade is no different. Remember, trades involve getting certifications too.