Best burger joint

The Gooch

I live in Orland Park and with the recent opening of all the new burger places in the area, I was wondering what everyone's favorite burger joint is? Don't include real nice restaurants or bars where you have had a really good burger, just burger joints. Within the past few years we have had a Red Robin, a Fatburger, and a 5 Guys open up here. Of the the three my favorite is Fatburger slightly edging out 5 Guys. Five Guys has much better fries, but I love the fried egg on the Fatburger (along with the texture and fresh topping, and they have great shakes. I will not that I have not had the opportunity to try In'N'Out Burgers as I hear from many people that they are great. So what do ya'll think?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Portillo's double cheese was my favorite burger when I lived in Chicagoland. I don't know how Red Robin survives. Why do people want to pay 10 bucks to eat a s***ty burger in a place often filled with screaming kids. You may be doing a disservice by not including bars. There are at least 3 dive bars around where I live now that serve cheap kick ass burgers

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 12:09 AM)
I live in Orland Park and with the recent opening of all the new burger places in the area, I was wondering what everyone's favorite burger joint is? Don't include real nice restaurants or bars where you have had a really good burger, just burger joints. Within the past few years we have had a Red Robin, a Fatburger, and a 5 Guys open up here. Of the the three my favorite is Fatburger slightly edging out 5 Guys. Five Guys has much better fries, but I love the fried egg on the Fatburger (along with the texture and fresh topping, and they have great shakes. I will not that I have not had the opportunity to try In'N'Out Burgers as I hear from many people that they are great. So what do ya'll think?

Hey Gooch, I currently live in Orland Park, too. Where's the 5 Guys Burger place located at? I haven't seen it yet.

I also agree about Fatburger, I love the fried egg on the burger so much that I get TWO fried eggs on my burger. :-D

And as for Red Robin, I tried one burger from there so far, and it was very good. I got it to go cause I wanted to watch tv at home, so I didn't have to deal with the screaming kids. :-D

Is there an In-And-Out Burger joint somewhere in the south suburbs? Where at?

Oh, and I know one more burger place that I love that have awesome burgers: Schoops in the food court at the Orland Square Mall. I LOOOOOOVE their double bacon cheeseburger, it's so good that you don't even need any ketchup or anything else with it. My mouth is watering thinking of the greasy goodiness. :-D

Oh, and Gooch, if you want an awesome cheap burger, go to Tinley Park Bowling Lanes and get their 1/2 pound cheeseburger and have Katrina prepare it however you like it for about 5 bucks. It's not a fancy burger or anything, but Katrina does a kick-ass job of cooking and preparing the burgers that I get one everytime I play poker there every other sunday. :-D

5 Guys is right around 157th and La Grange. It is in that little center with Starbucks and Potbelly right by Target. They have really good burgers as well, and their cajun fries kick butt.

In N Out is only on the West Coast as far as I know, but I hear that they are the burger place to beat. I havent tried Schoops yet, but I will have to give that a try.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 02:41 AM)
5 Guys is right around 157th and La Grange. It is in that little center with Starbucks and Potbelly right by Target. They have really good burgers as well, and their cajun fries kick butt.

In N Out is only on the West Coast as far as I know, but I hear that they are the burger place to beat. I havent tried Schoops yet, but I will have to give that a try.

Sweet, thanks for the information. I'm gonna try and go there sometime this week. :)

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 02:15 AM)
Portillo's double cheese was my favorite burger when I lived in Chicagoland. I don't know how Red Robin survives. Why do people want to pay 10 bucks to eat a s***ty burger in a place often filled with screaming kids. You may be doing a disservice by not including bars. There are at least 3 dive bars around where I live now that serve cheap kick ass burgers

this .....portillos rocks in so many ways.....spend the 10 minutes it takes to get over to harlem, the burgers are BY FAR the best "fast food" type burger you can get....not to mention their beef is the best around (portillos italian beef >>>> pops)

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 07:59 AM)
this .....portillos rocks in so many ways.....spend the 10 minutes it takes to get over to harlem, the burgers are BY FAR the best "fast food" type burger you can get....not to mention their beef is the best around (portillos italian beef >>>> pops)

Had Portillos last night actually. Not a burger though, I had the chicken sandwich, which is also very good. But their burgers are also excellent. It's a great place to eat and pretty inexpensive.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)
McDonalds

:ph34r:

ya know they wouldn't even belong in this convo before the angus burgers, but I think they do now. That Angus deluxe is the bomb. The ingredients seem superior to any other mcdonals burger. Anyway they're not my top, but they fit in the discussion now.

I dig Sonic, Schoops, Top Notch, Red Robin and Portillos. I think Portillos has the edge. I almost always, get beef there, but man they have an awesome burger. Really want to try Five Guys and Fatburger. On the higher end, Weber Grill has a great burger.

One that I was really not impressed with was Poag Mahone's. That is supposed to be some great place...tried it twice, both times my burgers were dry as hell. Another renowned place that sucks IMO is billy goat.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 11:09 PM)

Last week I was amazed at how different the area between Kohls on LaGrange and Target has changed. I live so close to Orland, yet I've haven't been around recently since I always go to Chicago Ridge Mall if I need anything. I'll have to try out these burger joints.

Personally, I like Burger King's hamburgers. Rosie's off 103rd and Cicero has good burgers, as well. Really, everything there is great.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 07:55 AM)
Top Notch burger on 95th off of Western is the best burger you will ever eat by far.

I don't know if this place is still there. They've revamped that area quite a bit.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr (click little street level icon)

And the construction has long since been completed.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
I don't know if this place is still there. They've revamped that area quite a bit.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr (click little street level icon)

And the construction has long since been completed.

it is still there. it's just further east on 95th street, right off of hamilton.

there's also one on 95th and cicero and i think a newer one on 159th in orland.

edit: and let me say that i agree that top notch is still the best burger i've had (i have had most excepting in and out). amazing french fries and chocolate shakes as well.

Edited by thedoctor

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
Last week I was amazed at how different the area between Kohls on LaGrange and Target has changed. I live so close to Orland, yet I've haven't been around recently since I always go to Chicago Ridge Mall if I need anything. I'll have to try out these burger joints.

Personally, I like Burger King's hamburgers. Rosie's off 103rd and Cicero has good burgers, as well. Really, everything there is great.

Rosies is great. I can't count the times that my brother and I would roll in there for a late night food run. That and getting a big baby burger at Nickys on Pulaski in Alsip is another good joint. Wonderburger on 111th and Kedzie is pretty good as well.

Red Robin is pretty good as well. The ones I have been too haven't had the screaming kids. But I usually go at night.

In my neck of the woods.

Margies at 65th and Cass is pretty damn awesome. Their double cheeseburger is great.

For a cheapo burger. Dock Ryans in Elmhurst had, dont know if they still do, dollar burgers on Saturday. And they were pretty damn good.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 11:23 AM)
Wow. No mention of Kuma's?

Is that Vegan?

Speaking of vegan places...me and my girl ate at Amatibul and it was surprisingly good. I am guessing you have had them cause they are a really popular place for the wierdo vegans. lol.

Schoops is HIGHLY overrated. If you like dry hamburgers than this place is for you. And people wonder why this region is considered tops in the overweight department? :huh Oh and their highly raved about milkshakes are watered down.

My vote goes to Steak N’ Shake.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
Is that Vegan?

No

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
Speaking of vegan places...me and my girl ate at Amatibul and it was surprisingly good. I am guessing you have had them cause they are a really popular place for the wierdo vegans. lol.

No but plan to.