Everything posted by chitownsportsfan
-
Garland
I'm happy that Jon got his G/F ratio back where it needs to be. He's not an overpowering guy, so he'll have balls hit hard, but if they're hit hard on a line or on the ground, then he will continue to have success. I just hope that Jon can string a few good outings together and gain some confidence heading into the 2nd half. The key for Jon is obviously to have his good sinker working, (and keeping balls down in the zone in general) and along with that, not walking guys. He's mostly continued the improved BB/9 numbers he posted last year. If he can continue to work down in the count, I see no reason he can't post a 4.50 ERA from this point on and be a more than adequate 5th starter. Whether or not that justifies his contract is another story completely...
-
June 13th game
McCarthy is turning it on lately. This is what we all envisioned him being: the perfect bridge guy to Jenks.
-
June 13th game
I'm shocked by the Pods hate on the gamethread tonight. I thought he was pretty much untouchable around here.
-
June 13th game
Settle down tiger--it was a joke. I thought we were supposed to play nice on the game threads anyways.
-
June 13th game
Would El Caballo have made that play?
-
June 13th game
Trade Iguchi? Now I've heard everything.
-
June 13th game
I actually thought Jon G had his best stuff of the season in his last start. Then he completely lost his head after the defensive lapses. This seems a common thread among Sox starters, as Mark B has suffered the same problem this season. It's time for Jon to put excuses aside and stop leaving pitches up in the zone--poor defense or not.
-
June 13th game
OMG, I love that lineup. Lets hope Uribe and BA can continue to pull their weight at the bottom of the order.
-
AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!
I have no confidence in Jon tommorow. Prove me wrong Garland.
-
Uribe
The contract isn't great, but not crippling to the team at all. KW seems to have a proven method for aquiring starting pitching, I'll give him that benefit of the doubt on this contract. I think with some salary inflation it might actually be a bargain by the 3rd year.
-
Uribe
We should have traded Garland this offseason before the new bloated contract. I'm a firm believer in his incredible league averageness as a pitcher. He's young, healthy, and eats innings though, which might make some team make a move for him--if not for that damn no trade clause. He's fine as our 5th starter though.
-
New Arm Angle for Contreras
I wouldn't say that's worthless; I'd say that's dominance. 11K's and only 6 baserunners is pretty damn good.
-
Game Thread: Sox @ Rangers, 6:05 Start, Contreras v. Koronka
This game has been easy to feel good about. I like it.
-
Tigers @ White Sox, Game Thread
The difference in the last two games is that Count and FG came through, and the bullpen did as well. I don't think it had much to do with "getting up for huge games". Every game is equally huge at this point, season is barely 33% over.
-
Ozzie is a classy guy
Uh, Felipe Alou is classy. Bobby Cox is classy. Ozzie is Ozzie, and that's not classy. He's a good manager, that's all I care about.
-
AL Central LONG Run
I'm not worried about the Twins at all. Their lineup stinks, and two aces and 3 scrubs only works in the playoffs, which they won't even sniff.
-
Is our Defense really that bad?
I'd have to say Pods is worse. I just hope BA starts hitting and we can all forget about this... Of course, I'm dreaming about millions in cash and Scarlett Johanson as well.
-
Is our Defense really that bad?
No, just leave Pods in LF, where because of his speed he's passable. CF just exposes his route running problems too much.
-
Is our Defense really that bad?
According to defensive efficiency rating, which is simply the % of balls in play a team turns into outs, the Sox are 2nd in the AL and 6th in MLB with a mark of .709. The defense is still fine, it's the godawful hangers are pitchers are throwing that's the problem.
-
Big Frank
Frank's in the lineup again today. The man is on a mission to 500, and proving he can still hit at the same time. Good for him. Frank Thomas: Tribe Killer! He was walked last night with the bases loaded. That goes to show how much respect teams are giving him. And rightly so.
-
Oz, best manager in ball, on Maggs
I have no hard feelings towards Maggs. s*** was said on both sides, and unlike Frank, both sides have now apoligized and moved on. Maggs was a class act until the mysterious injuries in 2004.
-
Crede
How come we get all these WSI castoffs...
-
Bobby Jenks
I just want to say: isn't modern medicine amazing? I mean, 20 years ago, Jenks would have had trouble spooning himself breakfast after an injury like he had, and now, thanks to medicine, he's throwing a small, round, spherical object nearly 100 MPH. It's simply amazing. This has been an informative thread. Luckily, when his big bender is on, Bobby only needs 2 pitches: his big bender and his 98 MPH heater.
-
Oz, best manager in ball, on Maggs
Contreras for sure. FG no thanks. He's been nothing but average, as Kalapse mentioned. I'm sure FG would rather spend the weekend smoking blunts of the chronz on white sanded beaches while be fanned by beautiful women. Sheet, can't say I wouldn't do the same.
-
Oz, best manager in ball, on Maggs
I realize this isn't what Ozzie said in this interview, but lets assume that he pulls a Joe Torre and fills the lineup with less deserving Sox. He has said as much in other interviews. For sure. I'm not upset with Ozzie--just MLB for pretending this game means something.