Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

southsider2k5

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by southsider2k5

  1. southsider2k5 replied to Texsox's topic in SLaM
    I have not, but with as much I have enjoyed everything by Larson, if I come across it, I will pick it up. Haven't done a ton of Civil War reading. Most of what I have done is related to Gettysburg. I was enthralled with battle after visiting the battlefield about a decade ago. The George Washington book I read was the one by Ron Chernow.
  2. southsider2k5 replied to Texsox's topic in SLaM
    Right now, I am in the Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson who has become one of my favorites since Devil in the White City. Also have read Dead Wake, Thunderstruck (which might be better than White City) and Issac's Storm on the 1900 Galveston Hurricane. Of all topics, I finally put John Jay on my list, and in an effort to find a book on him, bought an antique book from 1896 off of Ebay for about $10 to finally get his story. I had gone through Hamilton, Adams, Jefferson, and Washington in the era, but John Jay is the one guy that pops up in every single person's story. He might have been the MVP of that era just from what I got through other sources. If you really want a long read, anything by Ron Chernow is amazing. He is the guy who wrote the book which Lin Manual Miranda took and adopted for Hamilton the musical. In this case the book is every bit as amazing as musical (and I don't say that lightly). I have also gotten through his books on George Washington and John D Rockefeller, which were every bit as riveting, and long. There are still books on General Grant and JP Morgan that I want to get to, but have not yet. I also have something open by Simon Winchester, who I had read before in Crack in the Edge of the World on the 1906 SF Earthquake, and Krakatoa. Currently I am in The Perfectionsts, but I am kind of bored with that one. Beyond that I the The Map that Changed the World. I also have Gettysburg an alternative history by Peter Tsouras cued up with the premise of how the South could have won the battle, and what it would have done for the war. On the TV front, we also rewatched the BBC Sherlock series, and it was every bit as good the second time around.
  3. This estimates our deaths will peak in 16 days at over 2300, per day. https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections?fbclid=IwAR0DIjarzjYEh0yIhNO5FhrKxi4Z-ndQuJmOBNBJGiFy95rQg7RWFvxB7QI
  4. http://shanghaiist.com/2020/03/27/urns-in-wuhan-far-exceed-death-toll-raising-more-questions-about-chinas-tally/
  5. I can see why the religious right embrace him. We all remember the lesson of Jesus and F--- the Samaritan.
  6. So what would you call the knowledgeable and intentional spread of potentially pandemic laced germs?
  7. Italy had 6000 new cases on Friday. Do you read?
  8. This is the easiest way to underreport deaths. Report them as dead of a heart condition, even though if it wasn't for COVID they wouldn't have died at this time. It is very similar to what we saw post hurricane in New Orleans and Puerto Rico.
  9. And if you read the article, that would be obvious.
  10. I would imagine a lot of players were also be smart to look at positional depth at the various levels as to where to go. For example, as loaded as systems like Tampa and San Diego are it is going to be much harder to find PT, versus a garbage system like Boston.
  11. That's a really big risk to artificially limit yourself that much. I think more likely would be to go underslot in round 1, and they go big for the other nine.
  12. https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1243586388274098177?s=20
  13. Control over players becomes much more important. You can't draft someone in the 11th-40th round any more. You don't have the incentive to save money for later rounds either. No HS player is going to sign if they aren't drafted early. There is no Bryce Bush to be had for $20k. This is going to be 10 rounds of picks they want. Senior signs will happen from UDFAs.
  14. America owes $1.5 trillion in student loan debt.
  15. So no HS players are going to sign in this manner.
  16. Was just thinking the same thing. I wonder what the rules will be for signing these guys? Good scouting could be a huge advantage here.
  17. I can't speak on the taxes, so I won't. SPY is the ETF that tracks the SP500. It essentially has no cost after you purchase it. Funds have costs, and those fees are subtracted out from your accounts. You are quite literally giving yourself the return of the SP for no cost. Except for maybe the Dow, the other indexes are much more volatile, and over the really long term haven't had the same rates of returns. Personally I wouldn't touch international for a long time, but that is just a preference as their economies are no where near as healthy as ours, and that should scare everyone.
  18. For my two cents I would avoid a managed plan if you have even a minimal amount of self discipline. Invest in about 75% SPY and 25% in some sort of a low fee, high quality corporate bond fund, and then don't touch it for 5 years. Every 5 years, sell 5% of you SPY and move to bonds. By the time you get close to retirement, your holdings should have basically flipped and reversed. If you feel adventurous and have other retirement money, take 5 or 10% of your money out of the SPY and use that to chase your hot stock tips and whims. Realistically by using the top formula you are going to outperform overall fund returns on a really long term basis, but still have some safety built in. If you don't feel like you can follow a plan like this and don't want to risk it, move into a managed plan. But it will cost you 2 to 3% of your money annually to do it.
  19. I have read and watched tons on history. Things like the Plague, 1918 flu, as well as the Great Depression and the Dark Ages, etc. I often wondered about what it would have been like to live through them. Now we might be finding out.
  20. It is an unreal time to be alive.
  21. I can try to work back down the curve, but I feel like Italy's mortality rate has always been WAY high. Even adjusting for something like age of population, it was very high.
  22. Also as of today, the US now leads the world in positive COVID tests.
  23. Undertesting for sure. The US death rate is in the 1-1.5 of total cases. Italy is 10%. That means they are probably undertesting by a factor of between 6-10 times.
  24. are all of the other teams making these kind of moves?
  25. Trust me, I get the end game. I just think the fact that it is essentially illegal immigration being done by a corporation, and the same people who rage over it can't wait to throw cash at them.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.