Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

southsider2k5

Admin

Everything posted by southsider2k5

  1. QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 02:18 PM) Delmonico and L. Garcia are not outfielders, they are liabilities right now at that position. They are infielders or in Delmonico's case, a DH. In Garcia's case, the numbers say you are wrong.
  2. QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 11:38 AM) It has to be more than just "beating Trump". If you beat Trump, but just get someone in office who doesn't do anything than the person who replaces him or her will will be someone like Trump, but more focused. If you think Trump is as bad as it can get, think about President Tom Cotton. No. Beating Trump is priority #1. Even an avowed socialist will be better than this.
  3. QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 10:54 AM) Every single time he's faced with responding to or dealing with black activists and/or responding about issues regarding race, he gaffes. He says something stupid. He's earned his reputation. He's absolutely not racist - he just prioritizes his economic policy over social justice because he believes the first will help with the latter. But having a rich old white guy tell black Americans that HE better knows what will help them than they do doesn't always come off so great, does it? What actual policies is he supporting/not supporting that would achieve social justice? I mean just because someone panders to a group of people, doesn't mean their policy choices will actually do that. Hell Trump himself gets up and talks about how he supports blacks, hispanics and gays. How about those policies though?
  4. QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 10:49 AM) The fact that you and the Berners are on the same side here says all that needs to be said. I get it, its benevolent when you do it, and destructive when anyone else does it. Welcome to politics.
  5. QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 08:36 AM) I agree. Dems are really, really bad at selling a cohesive message, sticking to it, and walking to the same drumbeat. That's the nature of the beast when you're the party of shades of gray. And I attack the Bern as much as I do because I truly believe that all he'll do is tear apart the only party that stands in the way of a far-right GOP and Trump winning re-election. There's no fiber of my being that thinks 1) he'd win or 2) that he'd be effective And here you are contributing to that schism.
  6. QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 10:12 AM) https://www.alternet.org/election-2016/20-e...an-rights-1950s Bernie was the one fighting for their rights the whole time, even when Bill Clinton was making policy he'd later apologize for to minority communities. How about promote that instead of the garbage myth that his supporters are racist just because they're more concerned about taking economic justice back from neoliberals and Republicans? And it is such a strange nitpick. Realistically the policies he is talking about are much more towards what the Dems believe will achieve equality, even though Sanders quite can't articulate it right. I mean if you sat down and said what actual policies will achieve equality, it would be straight out of the Sanders playbook, unlike the Clintons and many others who have flipped all over the place based on the current breeze. But somehow Bill gets painted as 'the first black president' while having done less for them. Until Donald Trump was elected, the Clintons were the more effective conarists politically in my lifetime. But yet, Sanders is the one with the racist image. It just blows my mind.
  7. QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 08:16 AM) Beyond paying those issues lip-service, and only when confronted about them, what has he actually done? And what is he GOING to do? (I'm guessing you didn't read the article, as this is all addressed) Here's another, an op-ed from a person of color: Bernie Sanders' History Of Civil Rights Activism Is No Excuse For Him To Slack On Fighting Racism Now Watching the Dems destroy themselves even before the primary saddens me as it means another term for Trump.
  8. QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 10:09 AM) Funny how someone can take one thing from a post and make it into a comedy session. For the third time, I'm by no means panicking/calling him a bust/saying he should be released/promoting a demotion to Kannapolis. However, I am saying that he hasn't looked better than fine. If you all really think he looks better than fine, we'll agree to disagree. It isn't a comedy session. It is lesson on not getting to high or too low based on SSS.
  9. QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 09:53 AM) Here's an objective measure: at this rate he's going to strike out 286 times. Again, I believe he's going to be a good player. I'm not sure he'll ever be GREAT, as sometimes hyped prospects tend to not be great. However, he's been less than impressive to start the year. Hopefully by July, he's striking out less and getting on base more. But Matt Davidson is going to hit 108 homers while driving in 203 runs, Tim Anderson is going to hit 81 homers and steal 81 bases, plus Yolmer is going to hit 54 triples and drive in 189 runs, so it is all good.
  10. QUOTE (harkness @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 10:26 PM) yolmer has 3 good games and all the sudden according to Hawk he is the next ian kinsler... and people falling for it. Hey maybe he has got it figured out.. but.. yeah its like waay to early for all of this. I mean he did have a -0.1 War last year... This is Trumpian math.
  11. QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 07:32 PM) Lost in all the soorts action... “In light of China’s unfair retaliation, I have instructed the USTR to consider whether $100 billion of additional tariffs would be appropriate under section 301 and, if so, to identify the products upon which to impose such tariffs,” Trump said in a statement. Trump’s own chief economic adviser, Larry Kudlow, had spent much of the last two days trying to assure investors that a full-blown trade war with Beijing was not in the offing, but news of possible new tariffs sent Dow futures plummeting Thursday night. If anything, each subsequent, self-inflicted headline served to obscure the one Trump had made hours earlier. When looked at in retrospect, however, some historians will no doubt be tempted to ask why the president didn’t simply stick to his original script in West Virginia. yahoo.com I just reversed out of VIX Puts today at the close and back into VIX calls. Trump could pay for my Disney trip if he screws this up bad enough.
  12. QUOTE (Knickname @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 08:41 PM) That wasn't me. I've heard Hawk and too many others say, "So and so will be just fine" too many times. Maybe this time they'll be right about Yoan. I hope they are right. I hope Fulmer makes us happy, too, but if he continued failing to make it through two innings each start I wouldn't want him at the top level without end. I wasn't rooting for the failure of LaRoche, Dunne, and the Danks brothers either, but I won't accept the assurances of posters here or Harrelson that so and so will be just fine. Baseball isn't typically a game of instant success. The Mike Trouts of the world are rare indeed. The developmental curve of an Avi Garcia or Yolmer Sanchez is more normal. Some guys take time, especially if they weren't fundementally sound to start with. The kid is a toolbox. It could take 3 years for him to figure it out. That wouldn't be crazy at age 22.
  13. QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 08:13 PM) Yoan is going to be fine. The league knows he has an elite eye and so they are going to make him swing the bat. He recognizes this, and so he?€™s trying to be a bit more aggressive. I?€™m not going to lie, I wish he didn?€™t have so much swing and miss in his game, but I think he?€™s largely just in between right now. You could also tell he was uncomfortable in the cold today. All in all, Yoan?€™s going to be just fine. And it?€™s good that he?€™s learning now, while the games mean nothing. Hell if we had listened to Soxtalk, Yolmer would have been cut before he was even Yolmer.
  14. QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 07:35 PM) Well I hope all of the playoff games from 2020-2027 are played in domes Jack is paying for it.
  15. QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 07:34 PM) Moncada is similarly talented as guys like Xander Bogaerts and Byron Buxton, and similarly quick to the majors. Those guys needed a couple seasons to show their talent, and they have, especially Bogaerts. Give it time. He has a lot to learn. This is a great post. Keep in mind that typically Cubans are already behind the curve developmentally when they get to the US, and on top of it, he is still fairly young.
  16. QUOTE (Richie @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 07:08 PM) I blame myself. I made my first post on this forum precisely at the moment Leury doubled in Davidson to make it 7-3. It was all downhill from there. That only means one thing. We have to ban you.
  17. Davidson missed that by 18 inches tops.
  18. Tigers missed a chance to get an out over a review.
  19. Hawk and Stone both feel that 2020 will be the White Sox year.
  20. QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 03:42 PM) Yolmer is the rare (to this point) entirely-Sox-developed farmhand position player success story And a Latin American signing to boot.
  21. QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 03:26 PM) Easily one of the most frustrating Sox pitchers to watch, that I can remember. Jaime Navarro said Hola.
  22. QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 03:08 PM) Not a fan of Hawk but f*** it was good seeing him and hearing him I am incredibly sad that this will be my last opening day with the man. I feel like I am losing a family member.
  23. James Fegan?Verified account @JRFegan 2h2 hours ago Rick Hahn said Alec Hansen had a “forearm muscular issue” that he had previously dealt with in high school. Said he’s on a throwing program and ramping back up, but was not specific on timeline
  24. QUOTE (Knickname @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 01:50 PM) I recognized the Hammond-WJOB connection, but didn't think much of it until seeing that he hit a ph hr in ST while reviewing box scores a few weeks back. Also, LF seems up for grabs. I know next to nothing about scouting or ranking talent. He was just drafted in 2017 as a senior signing, played primarily rookie ball, and 5 games at Low-A. He has a boatload of guys ahead of him, and he has a long way to go. The power is his a plus tool, but a lot of older kids hit at rookie ball and die in the next levels.
  25. QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 12:58 PM) Your series of points don't make sense to me. You say on the one hand he's been proven to be an ML in the past. However, you also said "even the drop off is real" - which is the point I'm addressing. Not his 2016 and before status, but the 2017 drop off, which is well below what I feel is acceptable from an ML hitter. So, if we're talking about the drop off being real, we are talking Saladino as now a .178 BA / .484 OPS ML hitter. If that's where he is at, and it's real, what exactly is he figuring out? What value do the Sox have in the occasional start for him to figure it out...if the drop off is real? I understand using him purely as a defensive replacement late in games with the occasional AB. Until he plays, you have no idea if his problem was health or play related, hence the "if". The Sox a very obviously betting that last year was the fluke, and not his previous experience, and they have WAY more information than any of us on Tyler Saladino. All you have to look at is his 2016 season where he put up half a season as a league average hitter, and a guy who can fill in at 6 or 7 positions. With rosters saturated with pitching these days, guys like that have value. The only way to know if Tyler is really the 2016 or 2017 player is for him to get ABs. The Sox are in no need to rush players and assets out of the system right now. As a cost controlled player, still away from free agency, Saladino can have some value if he recovers. There is also no one he is blocking right now. He is the primary defensive back up all over the IF. Who else would do that? Why the rush?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.