Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Anyone else currently regreting letting Ross Gload go?
Virtual Merge-ocity
-
trade for an outfielder
QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ May 3, 2007 -> 11:06 PM) I'm going to assume Heads thinks it means something else. "You keep using that word, I do not think it means, what you think it means..."
-
Foreign trade + The Dollar
QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 4, 2007 -> 08:17 AM) That's what I said. Good for you
-
Foreign trade + The Dollar
QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 4, 2007 -> 07:57 AM) I'm not trying to debate anything here. I was...teaching the other...day...and...one of the questions on a quiz was...."What is a negative effect of foreign trade?" and someone wrote, "Weaker dollar," which I marked wrong. He and I got into a sharp debate about it and I found some stuff on it but I still wanted someone to back me up because it would make me feel better. When he started to debate me I said, "We don't have time for this, I have a lecture to go onto" but he started arguing and we were going back and forth about it. Long story why I was teaching! That isn't totally right, and it isn't totally wrong. Trades doesn't have a negative effect on the dollar, it is a trade imbalance that moves the value of the dollar. You also can't necesarily call a weak dollar a negative. It is so much more complex than that.
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
I read in the newspaper yesterday that if people were to add one capital letter and one character (such as !@#$ etc) that the average time need to hack their password would go from 2.6 days to 2.1 centuries.
-
Stocks and investing thread
QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 4, 2007 -> 07:23 AM) If/when the market corrects itself and falls, that will be the perils of the George Bush economy. f***wads. Heck after the one day of a 4% correction, Paul Krugman had already written up a facitious article about the collapse of the stock market from the perspective of a year in the future. The sharks have been waiting for the economy to go into the tank for a while now.
-
Obama Under Secret Service Protection
QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 4, 2007 -> 07:26 AM) Sadly, it's probably needed. Oh I have no doubt that it is needed, I am just not quite sure the nature of the timing.
-
Anyone else currently regreting letting Ross Gload go?
I have no regrets about letting Gload go. I do still wish we had sent Sisco to Charlotte to prep him as a starter, but Andy Sisco is a chance worth taking, when the price is only Ross Gload.
-
Stocks and investing thread
So no big surprise, the Dow Jones finshed with another new record high close, for the third day in a row, finishing at 13241.38. It was the 21st up day out of the last 24 sessions, and the 40th record high close for the Dow since October. Remember the original old high was 11,729, so we are about 15% above the old records. Now I have heard the cries about the Dow being a narrow based index, which isn't necesarily reflective of most of America, but try this one on for size. The S&P 500 closed over 1500 (at 1502.39) for the first time since September of 2000, right before the stock bubble burst. Besides being a HUGE psychological boost for the market, and attracting tons of money sitting on the sidelines for a potential breakout, it also put the SPs within shooting range of their all-time closing high of 1527.46. They are only 1.5% away from that mark, which is attainable in short work if the momentum continues. Once again, this market rally has been incredible, but hardly mentioned in most parts.
-
Obama Under Secret Service Protection
Apparently Dick Durbin requested the protection for him. I guess some people saying there was a credible threat, and some are denying it. The other reason sited is that they are worried about controling the size of the crowds he is attracting.
-
Illinois Smoking Ban Passes House
QUOTE(Texsox @ May 3, 2007 -> 02:44 PM) Really? Across from Adam's Rib? Its in the Great Hall there in the old part of the building. There is nothing else over there today, or even in the last 5 years, except a convience store. QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ May 3, 2007 -> 02:49 PM) I really don't. Do you also think that bars shouldn't be allowed to serve peanuts in case someone with a rabid peanut allergy should happen to walk in the door? There's a big difference between working with 2000 degree metal and hazardous material and some dude smoking while drinking his beer. This is a Nanny State law at its most restrictive. It sucks - and yeah, it does hurt business after implementation. Why? They both cause conditions at work that could kill the employee through no fault of their own. Someone eating peanuts is a different story, because they are hurting no one but themselves, well unless someone has the hobby of searching out people alergic to them and shoving them down their throats.
-
Illinois Smoking Ban Passes House
QUOTE(Texsox @ May 3, 2007 -> 02:33 PM) Snuggery was a chain of hot bars in the Chicago suburbs. IIRC they had four or five locations, including one near Motorola on Algonquin is Schaumburg. Last time I was there it became The Alumni Club. I used them as an example of how fickle the club business is. There is still a Snuggery in Union Station...
-
The Official [SCRUBS] Thread
QUOTE(Brian @ May 3, 2007 -> 02:27 PM) Exactly. NBC has screwed this show through it's entire run. You never see promos for it during other shows and they move the time slot around all the time. ABC will pick it up. P.S. I have to thank JD cuz I used a line to get a girl from the gym to go out with me. I was like, "You should go out with me sometime." And she asked, "Why?", and I replied, "Cuz it's the right thing to do." She laughed and agreed. High 5! Virtual 5!!! [smack!]
-
The Greg Walker thread
I merged the two Greg Walker threads into one gigantic hatefest... No need for a new thread everyday, so this is the place for all things Walker.
-
Illinois Smoking Ban Passes House
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 3, 2007 -> 12:32 PM) So, your solution would be to have everyone in a non-smoke-free bar required to wear breathing apparatus? You know, that sort of makes sense to me. Well at least then there would be an OSHA presence. They have pretty much neglected anyone who works in a restaraunt or bar.
-
Prosecutors want Paris Hilton in Jail
Put her away like she was anyone else...
-
Official 2007 NFL Draft Thread
QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 3, 2007 -> 12:06 PM) Who is that? Kalapse is in the middle. Guys just can't keep their hands off of his freakishly large junk.
-
LOST! thread
QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ May 3, 2007 -> 11:31 AM) The pregnancy death thing I find odd....Why didn't Rousseau and Alex die? Ben is the father and has never been off of the island?????? Real good question, that never hit me before. Also I forgot about the dynamite. She is the one who made such a big deal out of hiding and remaining in the shadows, but now she wants TNT? Wow. What is she up to?
-
Illinois Smoking Ban Passes House
QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ May 3, 2007 -> 12:14 PM) I think that making a tax incentive for being smoke free would be a much better way to help enforce this. People who choose to work in nightclubs, bars and casinos should have a basic understanding of the atmosphere of the environment they work in. i.e. smoke filled, drunk sometimes belligerent people.... I personally find it unreasonable to limit the practice of legally acceptable behavior in public - this includes drinking IMO. By that token, steelworkers should have a basic understanding that they work with extremely dangerous matierials, so should the mills quit giving them things like steeltoed boots and heat resistant materials? Coal workers should understand that coal dust will kill them, so should the mines quit giving them things like breathing masks? To me I see it as the same sort of vein. These are workplace conditions which kill employees. I don't know why it isn't looked at in the same light.
-
The Official [SCRUBS] Thread
http://today.reuters.com/News/ArticleBlog....pFWBDGKr7OWgmEN
-
Happy Birthday abound!
Soxplosion(20), Sox2004(35), SoxFanForever(24), Brian(28), flippedoutpunk(22), DaSoxDaSoxDaaaaaaaBears(25), DrunkBomber(25), the southside tiger(20), Signal Soldier(22) Granted half of them are the same banned poster but hey, Happy Birthday all!
-
Films
QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 3, 2007 -> 08:07 AM) Who else is pumped for Spiderman? I haven't seen a single one of the Spiderman movies. Just no interest here.
-
Strippers!!!!!!!!!!!!&
I've been once, and its a collosal waste of money.
-
American Idol
Good choices on who to send home. The final four is set, anyone ready to handicap who goes out in what order?
-
LOST! thread
It was indeed an excellent episode, so much going on, with enough teasers to drive you insane. I loved Locke leading Sawyer to the man who killed his parents, by saying that he wanted him to kill Ben. Well, it just wasn't the Ben you thought it would be, was it Sawyer? The actor playing that part was awesome. He sold the complete arrogence until the moment he had a chain wrapped around his neck and the life was choked out of him. The best part of all of that was the Hell references. I can't wait to find out what the island really is. I really wonder what Locke is up to now. He obvious is dragging the body back to Ben Linus to get his acceptance into the others, but does it mean he is an Other, or is he just playing the game? It was awesome to see Sayid start questioning the newest Islander, and completely miscalculate. You never see him screw up, but he seems to have screwed the pooch with her so far. I wonder what the secret that Jack and Juliet are hiding? Is it about the raids, or is it about the women on the island and the pregnancies... or is there a completely different thing which we have no idea about? Damn I can't wait for next week.