Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
The lastest on Garland
The Garland trade threads are closed. The thread about his signing is pinned in Pale Hose Talk.
-
Garland?
The Garland trade threads are closed. The thread about his signing is pinned in Pale Hose Talk.
-
Jon Garland signs a 3 year extension
QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:57 PM) Garland re signed, 3 years 29 mil. QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:58 PM) 7 mil 10 mil 12 mil HOLY s***!!! Wow, that was the last thing I expected to see. I wonder if Jose Contreras is crapping his pants yet?
-
Jeff Reardon charged with robbery in Fla
QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:32 PM) Was this guy good during his playing years because i think i am too young to remember or know who he is. He is 6th all time in Saves.
-
Rangercal
Very nice work as always
-
History Texts Take Up Clinton Impeachment
QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:22 PM) how did i forget someone that we weren't talking about or debating about??? g hw bush's post-presidency actions are not part of this discussion. We were talking about Clinton, Carter and Reagan's actions. You may want to go back and re-read the posts. You might want to take your own advice there... There was discussing on lots of ex-Presidents and I seem to be reading Bush41s name in more than a few posts. Maybe you were leaving him out, but his name was floated multiple times in this very thread. I could post you links if you seemed to have missed them.
-
Recession on the way?
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:29 PM) Well, I was looking at some of the financial data last night - the yield curve on bonds was inverted. You will get more for your investment if you invest short term vs. long term in bonds - which often signals a recession. Yes, there's things that can be done - like the Fed can stop raising rates... It will be interesting to see how this plays out down the road. I see today's market it's "corrected" itself. But they are still very close together (the 2 year yield vs. the 10 year yield). Comments, southsider, aka Mr. Bowtie? You kinda took my technical analysis out of my mouth. The Yield curve corrected itself today, so things have relaxed, but I am not too confident in at least the stock market for the short term. We have made about a triple top bouncing down off of 10950 each time. There seems to be a lot of resistance to going through those levels, and we might well see something like 10500 tested in January/February before we rebound. One thing that bodes well for us is that the rest of the worlds economic data over the last couple days seems solid, along with the US's. It seems to be just the one indicator that was out of whack for whatever reason, and that is just an interest rate function. From where the shortterm rates are priced, they are looking at Bernanke giving us two more 25 basis point adjustments with us ending up at a prime rate of 5%. If the inversion shows up again, I think you will see the Fed just not raise rates and see what happens. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the shortterm though.
-
History Texts Take Up Clinton Impeachment
QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 11:39 AM) yeah how much did he make for the Tsunami and New Orleans help??? Once again... Interesting that you forgot the other side of things...There was that other dude who went to SE Asia and NO with him...oh s*** what's his name
-
World Series Patch
Try searching Froogle or Ebay, they are all over the place.
-
History Texts Take Up Clinton Impeachment
QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 06:32 PM) I would also say, no matter where Carter wanks as President, he is easily the greatest Ex-President in my lifetime. No one has done more to help the disadvantaged. While Reagan jetted off to Japan for a $two comma speaking engagement$, Carter would be building homes for the poor. Interesting that you mentioned Reagans paid engagements, but not Clintons... That is exactly what he has been doing since he retired, making speeches and getting paid a ton of money to do so.
-
49 connected to Red Cross indicited
There is a special place in hell for people like this. http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/28/katrina.fraud/index.html
-
Iraqi elections deemed credible by UN
FWIW http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=1448232
-
Enron accounting chief cops a plea
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20051228/D8EOV9I00.html Skilling and Lay are going on trial by themselves.
-
MVP 06 Release Date
QUOTE(Fotop @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 06:40 PM) No Xbox 360 version? You mean for the like 8 people who actually got an Xbox 360?
-
No Child Left Behind hurting top students
QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 03:47 PM) i cant recall the specifics of how the gauge success vs failure, but if it's test based, a law like this forces teachers to teach to the test rather than just teach students how to learn. The sad thing is teaching to the test would be an improvement over the social promotions that have plagued the system for years. As it stands now we have a generation of HS grads with no skill sets whatsoever, because no one ever had to pay for not teaching them something. We have been investing in a system that only rewards the top HS students and robs the rest of them.
-
2006 Hall of Fame Ballot
QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 03:11 PM) .277 Career Average. 342 Home Runs. He made a ton of Errors. He had some good stats and he was a very good player however I think HOF players are elite. Not just very good. I think of him as good but not Hall of Fame type. 342 homers today isn't much. 342 homers primarily in the 60s is like 500-600 homers today. The same goes for the .277 batting average. Rember we are talking about an era that was the best for pitchers since back into the deadball era. Santo played back when Bob Gibson put up a 1.12 era, a .301 for Yaz led a league in hitting, and it was preDH so all offensive stats during that time are WAY lower. Errors are another stat that is misleading from that time. #1 the fields are in MUCH better condition today. You don't get nearly the bad bounces that you used to. #2 EVERYTHING was an error then. Today generous scorekeepers would rather give a guy a hit than an error if at all possible. There is not a doubt in my mind that errors are WAY lower today vs 30-40 years ago. Don't make the mistake of comparing eras with just bald statisics. If we did that, there wouldn't be a pitcher alive today who deserves to make the HOF. You have to get off of the statsheet and compare how good players were relative to their era.
-
World Series Trophy Tour
UPDATED TROPHY TOUR DATES
-
Assorted family crap
QUOTE(mreye @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:55 PM) Duh! You don't think babies communicate? Ever been woken up by a cry? I know that much I am talking about something that takes a little more skill than a primordial scream. There is a level of skill and coordination that it takes to not only make noise, but to make the facial expressions to go with it.
-
No Child Left Behind hurting top students
QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:39 PM) I hear too that the program isn't good, but the people who tell me this are so far left, they wouldn't give Bush credit for anything. Saying that, can you expand on what's wrong with the program ? Are there any good things in it ? What specifically needs to be fixed, etc ? Thanks! The unfunded mandates are my problem with the program. I have no problem with the federal government having escalating goals in exchange for funding public education. There needs to be some degree of responsibility in the school systems who by and large have no had to stand up for the students they have produced. There needs to be a way of doing this that doesn't penalize the students though, and reduced funding pretty much guarentees that. I really believe that if schools systems are to be publicly funded that they need to be more evenly distributed. The rich suburban white schools don't need as much money, and the poor urban schools need more. I really believe that property taxes being the lion share of local funding is basically socioeconomic discrimination and it needs to be adressed.
-
Assorted family crap
QUOTE(mreye @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:43 PM) Yes, that's old enough to mimic facial expressions. She smiles when you smile, maybe even sticks out her tongue when you do as well. She does that with the wife. She will stick her tounge out to immitate the wife when she does it. I was just shocked that she was immitating facial expressions and sounds at 7 weeks, and if it meant she might be trying to communicate already.
-
Assorted family crap
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:37 PM) When I was a baby I kept trying to talk but I didn't know how so I kept opening my mouth and getting really frustrated because nothing would come out according to my mom. I think if you want your daughter to have a relationship with your grandfather eventually, don't shut him out. But remember that you can control the relationship that your father has with your family. I'd keep the gifts though. Why make a situation worse? If you feel bad about keeping them, donate them to charity or something. That's the hard part. I am fine with where I am with him. I made my peace a long time ago with that stuff, I just don't know about it now that my decesions are going to affect the baby. The wife isn't pressuring me either way, as she doesn't feel like it should be up to her, so I am kinda on my own with this one. As for the gifts my thinking is if I don't want contact with him, I don't want any contact. I don't feel right not talking to the guy, yet still taking stuff for him. I'm not the kind of person who can in good mind take stuff from someone that I have no interest in having any kind of a relationship with. I like the donation idea though, that might just happen. QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:40 PM) Yes, 7 weeks is too early for her to have developed the skills to comprehend what she was doing. They can "copy" repetition while you have their attention. But she wouldn't continue to do it if you stopped at this point. Don't take any advice on the stuff with your dad from here to heart - since all the details are not out there (and shouldn't be IMO). You and Ang know best what to do there. You'll make the right choice. The other thing that makes me think it was a purposeful action is she gets this little giggle that she does already when she is proud of herself. She always does it after she tries to do something that we are trying to get her to do. That's how we can tell the difference when something is done accidentally, or she was really trying to do something. She was definately trying to mimic me, I just don't know what it means. As for details, all that needs to be said, is there is a boatload of good reasons that it has been this long. Something like that doesn't happen over one incident or overnight. It was a lifetime of reasons.
-
Assorted family crap
-For those who have kids, how soon do kids try to start talking. Christmas morning I was changing Madison, and to keep her attention so that she wouldn't squirm too much, I kept talking to her. Mostly I was saying "Hi Madison" repeatedly in a sort of exaggerated fashion to stress each syllabul (sp) and to try to keep her interested. After a few times of saying that she tried her hardest to mimic the facial expressions and got out a "ha" sounding sound. I tried it a few more times, and she kept trying to mimic my exaggerated mouth movements and kept saying the samething. Is 7 weeks early for something like that? To me it wasn't random because I got her to repeat the action a few times. -My Dad who I haven't talked to but once in the last 11 years (only at my brothers wedding at that) sent the baby a present over with my brother who still talks to him like normal. We opened it while they were there, but I have been having second thoughts about things since then. On one hand I don't want to deprive the kid of a grandparent, but on the other hand, there are some very good reasons that I don't talk to my father, and I don't know if I want her to have to deal with him either. Any advice? I have this overwealming desire to box the stuff he gave her up and send it back.
-
The tsunami one year later
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 01:15 PM) It was so big, it never really felt real to me, ya know? Just for perspective's sake think of Hurricane Katrina. The last number I saw was that about 1300 people died in that, about 230,000 died from the tsunami. For perspectives sake, the entire city of New Orleans had an estimated 400,000 people evacuate, in the Tsunami about one out of every two people of the entire population of New Orleans would have been dead. Katrina affected only one country for all practical purposes, and only really 4 states within that realm. The tsunami had effects on the entire Indian Ocean basin, with millions of people getting zero to a few minutes worth of warning. The destruction was spread over hundreds of thousands of square miles, as opposed to a few thousand square miles for Katrina. Katrina set back the US economic growth rate a couple of tenths of a percent for about a quarter. The tsunami set dozens of countries back into desparate third world conditions that many have still not cleaned up from, yet alone recovered from. I really don't think any of us can comprehend what happened one year ago yesterday. It is on a scale that none of us will ever be able to appreciate.
-
China selling WMD materials to Iran
http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20...24948-5253r.htm
-
Retail spending up nearly 9%
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle....TUDY.xml&rpc=22