7/17 Game Thread: @ Anaheim, 2:35pm, WGN

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Insp @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 04:47 PM)
And what was wrong with that?

Did I not write it clearly enough? They fired two renowned baseball minds.

Not firing a coach who should be fired is one thing, but firing good talent in your organization is quite another.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
Hawk's ego was involved with the Dombrowski firing. Not sure who called for LaRussa's. I thought it was the owner's call.

Yeah, but either way, it sucked and I wouldn't go back to it. No self-respecting White Sox fans would want to go back to Hawk as GM. He had some great announcing years after that.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
Hawk's ego was involved with the Dombrowski firing. Not sure who called for LaRussa's. I thought it was the owner's call.

It actually all worked out for the best. Fans hated LaRussa. If Domnpnrowski was still around and got Hawks job would he have drafted McDowell, Thomas, Ventura, Fernandez? Doubtful. Hawk also brought in Calderon who became Raines, and claimed Bonilla as a rule 5. He did trade him back to Pittsburgh, which probably was a mistake, but it did bring back DeLeon, who became the One Dog, and Bonilla may have hurt draft position. He certainly wasn't going to lead that team to the playoffs, but the Hawk haters will never look at it objectively.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 04:58 PM)
I'm trying to figure out Tim Anderson and what kind of player he's going to be over the next 10 years. To me, he's definitely not our Correa or Lindor or Bogaerts. To me, he's Alexei only starting at age 23.

Hopefully no one here honestly thought Anderson was Correa or Bogaerts. I don't get the feeling anyone thought he was that good here.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 10:58 PM)
I'm trying to figure out Tim Anderson and what kind of player he's going to be over the next 10 years. To me, he's definitely not our Correa or Lindor or Bogaerts. To me, he's Alexei only starting at age 23.

Well said

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 05:59 PM)
Hopefully no one here honestly thought Anderson was Correa or Bogaerts. I don't get the feeling anyone thought he was that good here.

Given enough time to develop I don't see why he couldn't become a solid SS, really good baserunner, and regularly hit .300+ with a >.800 OPS, which is in the range where those guys are now. Correa is going to outhomer him long term.

But the kid was raw at every level and the Sox still were pretty aggressive in getting him to the big leagues. Slumps are to be expected. If the team wasn't desperate for talent you could easily make the case that he'd benefit by waiting until next year before he saw his first big league action.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 04:58 PM)

You must hate him to compare him to Alexei like that.

Edited by Insp

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)
Ventura is the worst at arguing with umpires. At least show a little passion in that part of the game please.

Bah, they're down 8-1, limping to a sweep by a last place team. Sit your bottom on that bench and be quiet.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 05:13 PM)
Ventura is the worst at arguing with umpires. At least show a little passion in that part of the game please.

Low on the list of complaints. Actually, not on the list.