The Top 30 White Sox Prospects, Midseason 2016

NorthSideSox72

It's here - the Midseason 2016 Top 30 White Sox Prospects list from FutureSox.

Eight writers contributed to this effort. Our writers saw every US affiliate in person in the past year or so. Lots of work goes into this, and we hope you enjoy the results.

What are your thoughts on the list? On the system? Any questions on specific prospects?

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
would you rather have Call or Coats?

What's the downside with Danny Hayes? One of the few guys we have with decent plate discipline.

Call has a higher ceiling but he's further away, Coats is likely a 4th OFer in the MLB

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)
MLB.com has Collins behind Fulmer by a good margin, not siding with any ranking but curious as to why you have Fulmer behind Collins. The system looks stronger than recent memory so I'm very happy

Well for the record, not every writer had Collins number 1 - in fact Collins had just barely more top votes. So it was a close call.

MLB.com's list is primarily led by Jim Callis, who is unabashedly a huge Fulmer fan. I think the questions around Fulmer are about command (which he may never had oodles of) and whether or not he is a starter long-term (I think he is, but some others don't). That latter question, about starting, is huge.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 08:48 AM)

What's the downside with Danny Hayes? One of the few guys we have with decent plate discipline.

On Call vs Coats, I have some bias because I'm higher on Coats than others. But it's really a matter of ceiling versus floor. Coats is already probably a competent 4th OF, which has major league value. Call is years away from ensuring that, if he does at all. Call has better plate approach and speed, so he may have a higher ceiling.

On Hayes, it's a few factors. One, his early 2016 performance was short enough that we don't really know if it was a breakout or a streak. Two, he's injured and has been for a couple months now. Three, he's a first baseman who until 2016 didn't show GAME power enough. He's still a prospect, but very fringy.

:hawk:

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 09:59 AM)
Well for the record, not every writer had Collins number 1 - in fact Collins had just barely more top votes. So it was a close call.

MLB.com's list is primarily led by Jim Callis, who is unabashedly a huge Fulmer fan. I think the questions around Fulmer are about command (which he may never had oodles of) and whether or not he is a starter long-term (I think he is, but some others don't). That latter question, about starting, is huge.

May be wise to demote him to Charlotte for 1-2 starts and then call him back up as a starter

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)

Call has the higher ceiling, but Coats keeps producing on every level.

Hayes' injuries this year likely put a huge dent in his rankings. I was one of the few to include him and I could have just as easily left him off.

As someone mentioned, a bit bummed to see the top ten just with our recent draft. Reminds me of the dark days 5-6 years ago where every draft pick was our new #1 prospect, and last years fell into the teens with disappointing productoin.

If someone like Engel starts raking in AAA though, it will be worth it. But really need some pitching to start coming through.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 10:15 AM)
As someone mentioned, a bit bummed to see the top ten just with our recent draft. Reminds me of the dark days 5-6 years ago where every draft pick was our new #1 prospect, and last years fell into the teens with disappointing productoin.

If someone like Engel starts raking in AAA though, it will be worth it. But really need some pitching to start coming through.

This is a combination of that, but also because a lot of us are big fans of this draft. Curbelo was a sixth round pick and higher than Fisher or Call. Hansen had 1-1 potential going into the year. Burdi can be stretched into a starter.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Hostetler's drafting approach.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
So Fulmer has bad mechanics, poor control, and his fastball tops out at 92. Why did they draft him again?

The first two are really one thing, and the fastball tops more like 95-96. Are you evaluating based on one outing?

The Sox rushed him. He was just starting to get a good rhythm as a starter in BHAM, and I think they made a huge mistake doing what they did.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
The first two are really one thing, and the fastball tops more like 95-96. Are you evaluating based on one outing?

The Sox rushed him. He was just starting to get a good rhythm as a starter in BHAM, and I think they made a huge mistake doing what they did.

It makes no sense having him the major league bullpen. I figured it would be a spot start, not keeping him here.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
OK, on Fulmer. I'm no scout or pro evaluator I admit. But probably the biggest game of his life....fastball 91-92? what the hell? I understand being all over the place with control, but you'd think he'd be overthrowing, not trying to throw darts.

Maybe to fight nerves he felt like he needed more control?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
This is a combination of that, but also because a lot of us are big fans of this draft. Curbelo was a sixth round pick and higher than Fisher or Call. Hansen had 1-1 potential going into the year. Burdi can be stretched into a starter.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Hostetler's drafting approach.

I second this. The overhaul of the Top 10 with recent draftees is more a credence to the draft than an indictment on the system. At the same time, Corey Zangari, Tyler Danish, and Jacob May have all cooled to the degree that they're not Top 10 worthy. Courtney Hawkins in particular did very little to be even Top 20 IMO, which is reflected by his #23 rank.

If it helps, I think Adam Engel is legit and myself and others had him a little higher than 10th, so that's one incumbent bat that you can hang your hat on.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)
We are going to do a #AskFutureSox mail bag of sorts about the rankings. Various writers would answer, depending on the question. So, if you have in-depth questions, post them here and we'll put them in an article in a few days.

Go!

Which player has the best chance to make a huge leap in the rankings by this time next year?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 09:28 AM)

I agree 100% with NorthSide here, they rushed Anderson and Fulmer to help the big league club try to stay in contention. Anderson (surprisingly to me) showed he belongs, Fulmer is a different case entirely. If the Sox have any aspirations of him sticking in their rotation, they need to send him back down to keep working with Birmingham's pitching coach J.R. Perdew. Perdew was his pitching coach in Winston-Salem and helped him through his early season struggles in Birmingham.