Illinois High School Football Thread

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
The bigger thing on this is that PFN was not pressuring the QB and as such simply throwing the ball as he did is not intentional grounding. In the OSU game, the guy threw it into the stands. This QB threw the ball in the field of play and one could argue the receiver just did not run his route. This happens in games all of the time and if the QB is not under duress, it is not a call you make.

That aspect is on the officials who before enforcing the penalty should have gotten together and waved off the flag. If none of the five could get it right wave it off and go home. You would think after the OSU game someone would have gotten it right.

There are much better ways to kill two seconds than this and this is as much on the Fenwick coaching staff as the officials.

Take four steps back and take a knee. Run out the back of the end zone. Do not take a knee on on the other downs.

This does suck for Fenwick though.

Harry, good post as usual. Thanks for explaining that "if the QB is not under duress, you don't call the grounding." I did not know that. At first I was thinking, "How stupid of Fenwick to not just have the QB run a few steps back or to the side and then take a knee." Just out of curiosity, why is the rule that the QB can heave the ball downfield if he's not under duress? That seems like a creepy way to assure victory with five seconds left or so. It sure looks like grounding even if it isn't. I saw a quote in the Trib where the Fenwick coach was driving home and assumed he'd cost his kids a victory. Even he figured the grounding call was correct, cause it LOOKS like grounding.

This is one, unfortunate situation. My take is the courts can't get involved and change an outcome of a sporting event and they did the right thing, simply because games are lost by refs calls and all sorts of blunders all the time. I do understand the sentiment of the poster saying PN should refuse to play the final because it's good sportsmanship. they didn't even rush the passer. However, they did win fair and square in OT after the bad bad call.

Very sad situation. Would Fenwick have been favored in the final or expected to get mauled by East St. Looie?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 10:43 PM)
Harry, good post as usual. Thanks for explaining that "if the QB is not under duress, you don't call the grounding." I did not know that. At first I was thinking, "How stupid of Fenwick to not just have the QB run a few steps back or to the side and then take a knee." Just out of curiosity, why is the rule that the QB can heave the ball downfield if he's not under duress? That seems like a creepy way to assure victory with five seconds left or so. It sure looks like grounding even if it isn't. I saw a quote in the Trib where the Fenwick coach was driving home and assumed he'd cost his kids a victory. Even he figured the grounding call was correct, cause it LOOKS like grounding.

This is one, unfortunate situation. My take is the courts can't get involved and change an outcome of a sporting event and they did the right thing, simply because games are lost by refs calls and all sorts of blunders all the time. I do understand the sentiment of the poster saying PN should refuse to play the final because it's good sportsmanship. they didn't even rush the passer. However, they did win fair and square in OT after the bad bad call.

Very sad situation. Would Fenwick have been favored in the final or expected to get mauled by East St. Looie?

Neither team would be expected to beat ESTL. Even if it;'s deemed Intentional Grounding, the game is still over. It can end on an offensive penalty. The officials did a horrible job. I bet if Fenwick asked for a meeting immediately though they could have held up the outcome. I for one would not have sent my team out for overtime without an explanation but the coach didn't know. The judge should have told him to take the safety next time.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 26, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
Wish there was an answer for how to treat Catholic football teams in the playoffs.

IC has less than 500 kids so not sure 7A would be an accurate class for them.

They have 300 kids in their school. They pull from a much larger area than Carlinville though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
Neither team would be expected to beat ESTL. Even if it;'s deemed Intentional Grounding, the game is still over. It can end on an offensive penalty. The officials did a horrible job. I bet if Fenwick asked for a meeting immediately though they could have held up the outcome. I for one would not have sent my team out for overtime without an explanation but the coach didn't know. The judge should have told him to take the safety next time.

Fenwick was more to blame than anyone there.

I saw ESL against Providence and they were in my mind the best team in the state. They had talent all over the place.

• 8 months later...
QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 26, 2017 -> 05:42 PM)
Rice's QB looks horrible. Only watched the second half. He got replaced for the final drive. Probably didn't help their OL was getting demolished. Anyways that's not going to work in the offense they run.

Rice probably should start the junior and play the senior QB on defense somewhere. The senior must be a decent athlete if he split time at QB in the opener. That second half was mighty ugly for Rice, although holding Marist to 23 points is light years better than the defenses in the Badke era. Anybody surprised St. Laurence got smashed at home in the opener by Benet? I thought Laurence was gonna return to its old glory days. Maybe it's just the opener: anything can happen in openers.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 11:11 PM)
So Brother Rice scored 55 vs some Aurora school. Does that mean the youngsters have found themselves and they'll win win win? Or is that Aurora school lousy?

Aurora was 2-0 but they're a small school.

Rice's schedule this year is pretty brutal. I'd kinda be shocked if they made playoffs.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 02:43 PM)
Aurora was 2-0 but they're a small school.

Rice's schedule this year is pretty brutal. I'd kinda be shocked if they made playoffs.

Thanks Brian. Anybody from the South Side or Catholic League got a great team this year?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 01:46 PM)
Thanks Brian. Anybody from the South Side or Catholic League got a great team this year?

If you're looking for respectable area rankings, Edgy is the man.

http://www.csnchicago.com/preps-talk/edgy-...nkings-week-4-0

I'm a northern area guy so hard for me to answer who's in the south burbs.