• Sandy Alomar Jr.
    • Bud Black
    • A.J. Pierzynski
    • Aaron Rowand
    • Jim Thome
    • Dave Martinez
    • Mike Scioscia
    • Other

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 08:33 PM)
I would like to have Ozzie back.

If that doesn't happen, my next choice would be Wally Backman. He had a nice run in the Mets organization, but just left at the end of the season as he was tired of being overlooked for big league jobs. He would create a complete 180 change in this clubhouse though and get the most out of the roster.

He was fired.

Put one of their (Mets) best AAA relievers into the hospital for TJ by overusing him, platooned Conforto when the organization wanted him to get all the ABs and also wouldn't listen to advice about where to put Nimmo in the batting despite orders directly from the front office.

He had another set of scandals a decade ago or he could have been the Sox manager after Manuel.

When they passed him over for a position in NY, the writing was on the wall.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Sep 24, 2016 -> 05:39 AM)
My hope is for the team get younger and aim toward a 3 year rebuild program. I feel Dave Martinez would do wonders with younger players and get the most out of them. Even though we clearly know they will continue to try and scrap together a roster via the weak free agent market and mediocre trades, I would still like them to sign Martinez to a 4 year deal. That is my hope-- the reality: scrap together another mediocre roster, sign an oddball free agent that will cost the team their first round draft pick and will sign AJ or Konerko to become manager. :huh

He was Maddon's right hand man and got passed over in Tampa( as well as several other jobs) even though they got to see him first hand for years. My guess is he may be more a #2 than a #1.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 24, 2016 -> 06:43 AM)
I think you'll get your wish, or something closely resembling it, anyway.

Since that 23-10 start from long, long ago, the Sox have gone 49-71 in the 120 games subsequent. That pencils out to an abysmal .408 winning percentage. Only the Twins have played to a worse winning percentage than that this year in all of baseball.

Given the sample size of the last 120 games versus the first 33, even my blind dog can see this White Sox team is currently a real clunker. Therefore, I don't expect Kenny Hahn to go on another retooling, put-lipstick-on-a-pig jaunt this winter. That gig is up.

Year 1 of the three year plan rendered 76 wins, and it looks like Year 2 is going to cough and wheeze out about the same. I don't think they'll bother with a Year 3, but rather go now in the direction you suggest, which would be the prudent way to go at this point.

I disagree. I think they are going to try to make another run for it next season.

We'll see.

Mark

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 09:33 PM)
I would like to have Ozzie back.

If that doesn't happen, my next choice would be Wally Backman. He had a nice run in the Mets organization, but just left at the end of the season as he was tired of being overlooked for big league jobs. He would create a complete 180 change in this clubhouse though and get the most out of the roster.

I seem to remember Backman leaving the Sox because he was pissed off because he didn't get a promotion.

I know this isn't like college sports where you'd like to get a new coach in place right away, but ...

It'd be nice to name Renteria or Alomar a day or two at the end of the season if that's who they think is the answer to our problems. Why interview five guys (Alomar, Martinez, Sandberg, Ozzie, AJ or Konerko)? You either know who you want or keep Robin. Don't do the dumb interview process. There must be a guy our management group thinks is a budding star (who is not a former Sox player). Just name that guy within a couple days.

Only caveat is if you need time to convince a Leyland to return. Cmon, no interviews with mediocre candidates. Just name the guy you think is the next Maddon/Francona and do it quickly.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 24, 2016 -> 07:27 PM)
Jesus Christ,Greg, when are you going to understand that Leyland and LaRussa are retired?

Why get mad? Some guys return when asked. Leyland might miss it. The man is still working. He's managing team USA. HIRE HIM. Money talks. Give him a player-type contract. 10-12 million per annum.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/ml...-life/20138431/

http://motorcitybengals.com/2016/09/22/det...ut-jim-leyland/

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 24, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
Why get mad? Some guys return when asked. Leyland might miss it. The man is still working. He's managing team USA. HIRE HIM. Money talks. Give him a player-type contract. 10-12 million per annum.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/ml...-life/20138431/

http://motorcitybengals.com/2016/09/22/det...ut-jim-leyland/

I'm not mad, I'm irritated because you are dense about it. Give me one good reason that either of these guys would come out of retirement to manage the Sox,without saying money or because you want them to

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 24, 2016 -> 07:43 AM)
I think you'll get your wish, or something closely resembling it, anyway.

Since that 23-10 start from long, long ago, the Sox have gone 49-71 in the 120 games subsequent. That pencils out to an abysmal .408 winning percentage. Only the Twins have played to a worse winning percentage than that this year in all of baseball.

Given the sample size of the last 120 games versus the first 33, even my blind dog can see this White Sox team is currently a real clunker. Therefore, I don't expect Kenny Hahn to go on another retooling, put-lipstick-on-a-pig jaunt this winter. That gig is up.

Year 1 of the three year plan rendered 76 wins, and it looks like Year 2 is going to cough and wheeze out about the same. I don't think they'll bother with a Year 3, but rather go now in the direction you suggest, which would be the prudent way to go at this point.

I completely agree with Thad here. raBBIt has speculated it already and others that I have talked to seem to think some version of a step back is coming. If I had to bet, I'd say that Sale, Frazier, and Melky all get moved. I think Q and Eaton stay because of the years of control and I don't think Abreu is going anywhere either. The Sale thing is a conundrum. He's signed for 3 years at $39 million. The White Sox can't give up picks to sign free agents and it's an historically bad FA class. They also don't have the prospects to trade and shouldnt trade the ones they do have. THey need to deal players on 1 year deals and trade Sale most likely. I don't really see a scenario in which they are good enough over the next 3 years to justifu keeping Chris Sale.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 24, 2016 -> 07:52 PM)
I'm not mad, I'm irritated because you are dense about it. Give me one good reason that either of these guys would come out of retirement to manage the Sox,without saying money or because you want them to

Because at one point he was a White Sox. His guy is LaRussa. It may be his dream job. Go get him and give Jimmy an offer he can't refuse.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 24, 2016 -> 03:45 PM)
Because at one point he was a White Sox. His guy is LaRussa. It may be his dream job. Go get him and give Jimmy an offer he can't refuse.

He is still on the young side at 73. Let's go get Joe Torre who was a great manager and has friends in high places.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 24, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
Give me one good reason that either of these guys would come out of retirement to manage the Sox,without saying money or because you want them to

At 73 yrs old, I doubt any money is worth the aggravation of being in the middle of a messed up situation, not to mention the media pressure....etc...

In 96', JR threw one of the bigger managerial contracts of the era at Leyland, and he turned it down... that was 20 yrs ago, and a much younger man..

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 24, 2016 -> 08:54 PM)
LaRussa might be in the process of being fired by the DBacks, but paying him to return to managing would mean a huge payroll increase necessarily is going to come with it...not a rebuilding or step back.

Some Sox fans are talking about bringing back Ozzie for gosh sakes. If you can get LaRussa, get it done. We're the White Sox not some good franchise. This would be a coup for us. Pay the man. One.More.WS.Title.Please!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 21, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)
I think it's clear that Robin Ventura will be relieved shortly after the season. Who will be the next manager? I still say Sandy Alomar.

I would like to see Omar Vizquel get a shot as the next manager. Highly respected, fluent in Spanish and English. Very heady player who is known for being fundamentally sound. Base running and situational approach likely to be strengths. He has stated he does want to manage and has been a base coach with Detroit past few years. I hope he gets a shot at an interview with the Sox. I think he will be a great manager.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 24, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
Some Sox fans are talking about bringing back Ozzie for gosh sakes. If you can get LaRussa, get it done. We're the White Sox not some good franchise. This would be a coup for us. Pay the man. One.More.WS.Title.Please!

LaRussa never won a World Series for us. Ozzie did. Make Guillen the highest paid manager in the game and give him a lifetime contract.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 07:02 AM)
LaRussa never won a World Series for us. Ozzie did. Make Guillen the highest paid manager in the game and give him a lifetime contract.

I love Ozzie Guillen but he'll never work again cept on TV maybe. The PC age is upon us. He could say anything. s***, the stuff he said in Miami would be brought up again and people would boycott the games. That said I totally love Ozzie.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 24, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)

If it was his 'dream job' why did he personally say no to JR directly when he was offered it in the mid 90's?

Answer: Because he was pissed off at the way he felt the organization treated his friend Gene Lamont. I don't think that's changed.

Mark

Kudos to those who have suggested Gabe Kapler. The suggestion didn't register with me at first, but after doing a little research on the guy, he's a very intriguing individual for an open MLB managerial position. I hope he's in the mix of those under consideration when the time comes to figure out who the next manager in the Sox dugout is!

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
Kudos to those who have suggested Gabe Kapler. The suggestion didn't register with me at first, but after doing a little research on the guy, he's a very intriguing individual for an open MLB managerial position. I hope he's in the mix of those under consideration when the time comes to figure out who the next manager in the Sox dugout is!

I've been driving the bus for a while, glad to have you on board.

QUOTE (59th street @ Sep 24, 2016 -> 09:11 PM)
I would like to see Omar Vizquel get a shot as the next manager. Highly respected, fluent in Spanish and English. Very heady player who is known for being fundamentally sound. Base running and situational approach likely to be strengths. He has stated he does want to manage and has been a base coach with Detroit past few years. I hope he gets a shot at an interview with the Sox. I think he will be a great manager.

I kind of like this idea.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
Does it demand response?

Yea it does.

Some people want AJ for whatever reason. From what I have read, he is not very well liked by teammates so what can he bring? Ron Washington and other tired old managers? You've got to be kidding.

At least Sandberg has had some experience over Aaron Rowand, Konerko, AJ and others.

For what we have been going through for many seasons now, what's the downside?