Congrats Chicago Cubs

knightni

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)
Seriously. You are in the wrong place if you are expecting a Come to Jesus moment from Sox fans on Soxtalk when it comes to the Cubs. In fact, crap like that only fans the flames more.

I'm not expecting anything. I'm simply suggesting to step back and look at the bigger picture, and to let go a little of your pride and your egos and see this for what it really was - a great moment for the game of baseball.

You obviously don't have to. I just don't see the harm in that. But by all means cling to your negativity. I'm sure it's useful for... something...

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:15 PM)
Yeah that made no sense to me. Obviously using Chapman the night before was a terrible idea too.

Yup. Terrible, terrible call. Maddon was pulling a Pete Carroll and over-thinking everything. Just got lucky.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
Yeah that made no sense to me. Obviously using Chapman the night before was a terrible idea too.

There is absolutely no reason to use your best guy when you're up 7-2. I know it's a must-win and I know the Cubs bullpen isn't exactly trustworthy, but damn...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
If you need to post on line with people who feel just like you do, go to a Cubs site. You can wax poetic for the next week straight.

Just remember, this is the same fanbase that sent out death threats 13 years ago because one of their own tried to catch a foul ball. Now be happy for them.

I actually watched the Bartman inning on youtube last week. He went for it, the guy next to him went for it, but the guy next to him totally whiffed. When security came around, they guy who whiffed was pointing at Bartman telling the security to throw him out.

Lol, the reason I think the way I do is because I haven't insulated myself with people who feel the same way as I do about things. That's the reason our country is so f***ed up.

All fanbases have issues. I seem to recall an incident with some Sox fans and a KC base coach? Point is, some fans are kind of douchebags sometimes, and that holds true for all teams in all sports.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
I'm not expecting anything. I'm simply suggesting to step back and look at the bigger picture, and to let go a little of your pride and your egos and see this for what it really was - a great moment for the game of baseball.

You obviously don't have to. I just don't see the harm in that. But by all means cling to your negativity. I'm sure it's useful for... something...

what the bigger picture though they won who we know and we happy for the people who never seem one in the lifetime how we sox fans dont like being told be happy for this city when it not our team

QUOTE (gosoxtim8 @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:22 PM)
what the bigger picture though they won who we know and we happy for the people who never seem one in the lifetime how we sox fans dont like being told be happy for this city when it not our team

woof.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
Lol, the reason I think the way I do is because I haven't insulated myself with people who feel the same way as I do about things. That's the reason our country is so f***ed up.

All fanbases have issues. I seem to recall an incident with some Sox fans and a KC base coach? Point is, some fans are kind of douchebags sometimes, and that holds true for all teams in all sports.

As a fan of the game, I think the Cubs never winning is a greater story than them winning. But for a guy who doesn't want to think like everyone else, you sure do seem to have a problem with people not thinking like you.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
As a fan of the game, I think the Cubs never winning is a greater story than them winning. But for a guy who doesn't want to think like everyone else, you sure do seem to have a problem with people not thinking like you.

Again, you're not reading my posts. This thing is continuing simply because you're continuing it. I've already said multiple times y'all can do whatever you want.

I actually agree that the Cubs have lost as much as they've won. They lost THEIR legend. THEIR mystique. The thing that makes them the Cubs is gone forever. No more lovable losers, no more "maybe next year" etc etc. I think that's a bummer, personally. But I also think they created a new legend in winning, so hey - it's a win win in my book. But that's entirely subjective, obviously.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:25 PM)
You know what, it's just cool. A good portion of this city is just on cloud 9, and at this moment it's pretty much great to be a Chicago sports fan. We just have to hope the Sox get their act together soon enough to deliver this city a crosstown World Series.

amen to that.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)

Stepping back and looking at the big picture, what exactly does this mean for the game of baseball? Sure it was a big moment for the Cubs and their fans but outside of them and maybe Sox and Indains fans, does anyone from the other 27 teams really care? I think for a lot of them it was just another WS they probably didn't pay much attention to.

When we look back at the record books in 10, 20, 30 years will there be anything special about this other than it broke the Cubs losing streak (which was bound to happen eventually)?

To me, the big moments for baseball are when the "big" records are broken. Barry Bonds breaking the single-season and later career HR records. Somebody breaking Joe DiMaggio's hit streak. Somebody breaking Cal Ripken's streak. Somebody breaking Pete Roses' hit total. Someone breaking Ty Cobb's career batting average.

Some team wins the WS every single year. But most of those records are unlikey to fall within our lifetimes. Maybe not ever.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:36 PM)
Stepping back and looking at the big picture, what exactly does this mean for the game of baseball? Sure it was a big moment for the Cubs and their fans but outside of them and maybe Sox and Indains fans, does anyone from the other 27 teams really care? I think for a lot of them it was just another WS they probably didn't pay much attention to.

When we look back at the record books in 10, 20, 30 years will there be anything special about this other than it broke the Cubs losing streak (which was bound to happen eventually)?

To me, the big moments for baseball are when the "big" records are broken. Barry Bonds breaking the single-season and later career HR records. Somebody breaking Joe DiMaggio's hit streak. Somebody breaking Cal Ripken's streak. Somebody breaking Pete Roses' hit total. Someone breaking Ty Cobb's career batting average.

Some team wins the WS every single year. But most of those records are unlikey to fall within our lifetimes. Maybe not ever.

You mean besides being the greatest World Series AND WS game ever played? (as long as you're looking at it objectively of course)

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)

this ^

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
You mean besides being the greatest World Series AND WS game ever played? (as long as you're looking at it objectively of course)

The greatest World Series ever? You kidding me? Most of the games were not even competitive. You're showing your age.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
The greatest World series ever? You kidding me? Most of the games were not even competitive. You're showing your age.

Storylines matter my friend. I don't know if you've read much of the sportswriting from the last couple days, but you should.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)

I'm assuming you don't have twitter. Hell, a simple Google search for other teams sites are congratulating Cubs fans. Youtube comments, etc.

QUOTE (gosoxtim8 @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
exactly the cubs shouldnt been down 3-1 at all the match up was uneven

A majority of casual fans couldn't name more than one or two players on Cleveland's roster heading into the series. Epic World Series matchups include two teams with recognizable players.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)

Eh.. I don't know about the greatest World Series ever. You can definitely argue game 7 for WS game though.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)

Four of the 7 games of the greatest World Series ever had final margins of 4 runs or more. It took a while, but I finally caught the troll act.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)
Four of the 7 games of the greatest World Series ever had deficits of 4 runs or more. It took a while, but I finally caught the troll act.

Cut him some slack. His brand new silk Cubs thong is just making him giddy.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
Cut him some slack. His brand new silk Cubs thong is just making him giddy.

What a badass. Personal attacks at the guy who's held to a different standard so he can't fight back. Nice ;)

You know what they say about folks who fall back on ad hominem attacks when they can't put together a cogent argument.