Congrats Chicago Cubs

knightni

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
Just name one thing more annoying than a million or so people in Grant Park singing that stupid song Go, Cubs, Go?

:lol: There is nothing.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
There's a difference between y'all getting your panties in a twist and whining about it, and me laughing and shaking my head at said whining ;)

So, just to be clear - you're not mad, you're actually laughing.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
Donald Trump?

There are plenty more annoying things in the world. People coming together and being happy about sports and putting aside whatever other differences they may have shouldn't be even close to the top of the list, IMO.

I dig it.

If that's how you feel, why are you posting on a White Sox board? Besides, using your logic, how can Trump be annoying? He holds rallies that have huge turnouts and make people happy, correct?

Sorry, I don't like the Cubs, and never will. You can say it's silly, I don't really care.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 08:36 PM)
If you're still pissy after watching that, you're no true baseball fan. The end.

You're actually right. I'm not a baseball fan. I'm a White Sox fan. Unless the Sox are playing, I couldn't care less about the game.

I know there are people out there that can watch and enjoy a game between two random teams that they have no emotional investment in. I just find that supremely boring.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
If that's how you feel, why are you posting on a White Sox board?

Sorry, I don't like the Cubs, and never will. You can say it's silly, I don't really care.

Ok I'll speak slowly so you can understand:

I am a Chicago White Sox fan. I also happen to f***ing LOVE the game of baseball. Because I'm a fan of the GAME, that world series was something special. I spent all series wanting the Cubs to lose, and then when I sat down in front of that screen something happened. Like I said, I didn't really care who won or who lost - it was the f***ing INDIANS vs the CUBS for god's sake. But man.... that game was the stuff of legends, and I was happy as hell to see it, and happy as hell for all my friends who were euphoric about it.

My friend dying of cancer who saw her Cubs win? Yeah. I'm good with that. My friends' parents who are on their last legs getting a Cubs WS before they go? The tears they shared on FB? Yeah. I'm good with that.

Does that make ANY sense to you? The love of the GAME. That's why I'm here on this board.

Fair?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
Careful, your bias is showing.

Yes. One of the greatest games and moments and series' in the history of sports. That is not going too far.

I don't understand it. A lot of teams have had championship droughts for long periods of time (albeit not as long as the Cubs), so I'm not really sure why this is any greater than the Red Sox winning in '04 or the Sox in '05. The typical baseball fan that isn't a part of the Cubs bandwagon most likely doesn't see this World Series differently than any other IMO.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 10:17 AM)
I lived in Chicago for five years, and Iowa for 10 (which is all cubs fans)

You can't pull that card with me.

So because you lived in Chicago and Iowa, every neighbor on your block has a "W' flag on their house or window? The local New York grocery stores are covered in Cubs memorabilia because Reddy knows Cubs fans? I assume the New York Rangers will honor the Cubs at their next home game while half the fans are wearing a Cubs jersey instead of hockey gear. Amazing.

Anyway, sports are fun because there are winners and losers. For every amazing moment in sports, there's somebody that's pissed.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)

I am a Chicago White Sox fan. I also happen to f***ing LOVE the game of baseball. Because I'm a fan of the GAME, that world series was something special. I spent all series wanting the Cubs to lose, and then when I sat down in front of that screen something happened. Like I said, I didn't really care who won or who lost - it was the f***ing INDIANS vs the CUBS for god's sake. But man.... that game was the stuff of legends, and I was happy as hell to see it, and happy as hell for all my friends who were euphoric about it.

My friend dying of cancer who saw her Cubs win? Yeah. I'm good with that. My friends' parents who are on their last legs getting a Cubs WS before they go? The tears they shared on FB? Yeah. I'm good with that.

Does that make ANY sense to you? The love of the GAME. That's why I'm here on this board.

Fair?

This is all great. Nobody will have a problem with any of this. People will have a problem with you telling what team they should root for and how they should feel after a sporting event.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 11:34 AM)
I don't understand it. A lot of teams have had championship droughts for long periods of time (albeit not as long as the Cubs), so I'm not really sure why this is any greater than the Red Sox winning in '04 or the Sox in '05. The typical baseball fan that isn't a part of the Cubs bandwagon most likely doesn't see this World Series differently than any other IMO.

It IS similar to the Red Sox. The White Sox less so, because there was no legend or mystique around it. I didn't care as much about the Red Sox because I didn't personally know as many Red Sox fans, and I was also... what... 18? Haha

Maybe I'm simply choosing to enjoy this moment because I love and miss playing the game so much, and I LOVE the legends and superstitions and STORIES that go along with the game of baseball, and that series and that game 7 fed into those things in such a magnificent way.

I mean that rain delay was f***ing divine intervention, and I'm not even religious haha

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
This is all great. Nobody will have a problem with any of this. People will have a problem with you telling what team they should root for and how they should feel after a sporting event.

I didn't say who they should and shouldn't root for. I wasn't rooting for a cubs win, inherently.

But to be petty and pissy about really trivial things while missing the bigger picture DOES kind of imply that they're not really fans of the GAME so much as Sox fans. And if that's the case, totally valid. Like iwritecode said - I can't argue with that. As long as you're self aware, do whatever the f*** you want. Haha

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
It IS similar to the Red Sox. The White Sox less so, because there was no legend or mystique around it. I didn't care as much about the Red Sox because I didn't personally know as many Red Sox fans, and I was also... what... 18? Haha

Maybe I'm simply choosing to enjoy this moment because I love and miss playing the game so much, and I LOVE the legends and superstitions and STORIES that go along with the game of baseball, and that series and that game 7 fed into those things in such a magnificent way.

I mean that rain delay was f***ing divine intervention, and I'm not even religious haha

I absolutely love baseball and the stories/legends/myths behind it, but you're not going to convince me or any other die-hard Sox fan that they should enjoy these moments. I'm really bummed and annoyed about it. You can root for whoever you want, but telling fans of a rival team that they should feel happy about this is a waste of time.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 11:41 AM)
I absolutely love baseball and the stories/legends/myths behind it, but you're not going to convince me or any other die-hard Sox fan that they should enjoy these moments. I'm really bummed and annoyed about it. You can root for whoever you want, but telling fans of a rival team that they should feel happy about this is a waste of time.

For the record, I also didn't say you needed to be happy about it. It's the f***ing whining and pettiness that I find ridiculous. But sure, to each his or her own. I just think it makes Sox fans look bad, personally.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 08:42 AM)
For the record, I also didn't say you needed to be happy about it. It's the f***ing whining and pettiness that I find ridiculous. But sure, to each his or her own. I just think it makes Sox fans look bad, personally.

We're not allowed to complain or be annoyed on a message board? Give me a break. It's not like we're here sharing stories about getting in Cubs fan's faces and being dicks about it.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)

Fair enough. I don't know why everyone is attacking you in such a hostile manner. You have an opinion and are allowed to state it. :) I see where you're coming from for sure.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
Careful, your bias is showing.

Yes. One of the greatest games and moments and series' in the history of sports. That is not going too far.

f*** yes it is bias. You are on a damned White Sox message board. What do you expect? This is supposed to be the one place where we don't get subjected to the fellatio of the Cubs that is pervasive in the rest of the world right now.

This is the crap that makes me hate all things Cubs. No, I don't have to like it, or even enjoy it. Get out of here with this BS. There are plenty of Cub fans who would love a White Sox fan to tell them how great they are now, go lecture them.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
We're not allowed to complain or be annoyed on a message board? Give me a break. It's not like we're here sharing stories about getting in Cubs fan's faces and being dicks about it.

This. And I am getting sick of people feeling like they need to rub our noses in it, for no good reason.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)

Fair?

That's you, I'm different. I get being happy for people because their team won a WS, but most White Sox fans should see really how little that matters. They are back to being pissed off at anything White Sox.

If your friend was dying of cancer, why did you want the Cubs to lose when the series started? I think if you went on Maury, he would say, "that was a lie".

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)
f*** yes it is bias. You are on a damned White Sox message board. What do you expect? This is supposed to be the one place where we don't get subjected to the fellatio of the Cubs that is pervasive in the rest of the world right now.

This is the crap that makes me hate all things Cubs. No, I don't have to like it, or even enjoy it. Get out of here with this BS. There are plenty of Cub fans who would love a White Sox fan to tell them how great they are now, go lecture them.

:notworthy

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)
That's you, I'm different. I get being happy for people because their team won a WS, but most White Sox fans should see really how little that matters. They are back to being pissed off at anything White Sox.

If your friend was dying of cancer, why did you want the Cubs to lose when the series started? I think if you went on Maury, he would say, "that was a lie".

If you want to go down the rabbit hole on this, and psycho-analyze me feel free.

When the series started I posted on FB that I was going to support the Cubs because of my friends. And I wanted to believe that. I really did. But every game I found myself rooting for them to lose, even though I WANTED to be rooting for them to win - that shows you how ingrained my anti-Cubs sentiment runs. Going into Game 7 I was still fully expecting the Indians to pull it out, and as I've already posted, I didn't have a horse in the race at all until the very end of the game and series. Once they won, I was ecstatic for my friends and for the game itself.

Happy? (Let's maybe get back to topic though :P )