Congrats Chicago Cubs

knightni

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
Oh I dont know, maybe there wont be so much petty hatred back and forth for the others team? Its healthy to not be so bitter and have so much hate, I would think. I was cheering against them as hard as anyone but I'm glad that I dont hate them to the point that I am sitting here bitter all day. To each is own and if that is how some Sox fans are going to be thats their choice but I am relieved I dont have those feelings today. I actually have had some really nice interactions with Cub fans this morning. They werent rubbing anything in my face, they were just over joyed and relieved.

I am with you on this. I was not cheering for them, but I woke up rested today and ready to deal with adult life. I can still do without the excessive hyperbole and superlatives that comes with everything Cub related, but it really is no big deal in the big picture. They will get the city's attention more now than ever, and deservedly so. The Sox will not cease to exist just because the Cubs won. They just need to do better and be ready to catch the next wave. These things have always gone in cycles and this is no exception. And I agree with you, there is always a tool or two in the crowd, but overall it seems to be a pure expression of joy from their fans rather than a moment to rub it in to the Sox.

As much as I wanted them to lose, this could actually be a very good thing for the game of baseball. I haven't seen the ratings numbers from last night but, based on purely anecdotal social media observations, there were a lot of people who I never pegged as caring about baseball who were watching the game and really getting into it. With football struggling, the NBA and MLB need to capitalize and a Cubs WS win surely helps MLB.

I really don't dislike anyone on the team or in their front office. Not a fan of Ricketts because Trump, but I do appreciate he's living the dream...owning the team he grew up rooting for and winning a WS. Of course, I live in Atlanta and don't have to deal with their fans at work, etc....makes things easier to stomach.

Bears: 1985

Bulls: 6 titles from 1991-1998

White Sox: 2005

Blackhawks: 3 titles from 2010-2015

Cubs: 2016

I wasn't celebrating last night, but that's a pretty good sports run for Chicago for a fan like me in my 30s. The Bears are lagging behind, but my first ever sports memory is Super Bowl XX and I watched a tape of that game daily as a 4 year old.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)

I wasn't celebrating last night, but that's a pretty good sports run for Chicago for a fan like me in my 30s. The Bears are lagging behind, but my first ever sports memory is Super Bowl XX and I watched a tape of that game daily as a 4 year old.

Yes, a Bears SB win would be totally a new experience for me. I was three years old in 85 and I dont remember anything about it so it might as well never have happened in my world.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)

I was born in 1991 so I didn't see the Bears and the 6 Bulls championships are basically irrelevant to me. Hawks are on an amazing run though.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
Man, some of you guys get way too concerned about tweets. Like I said when people were b****ing about the Cubs twitter account, it's f***in twitter, it doesn't have to be 100 percent serious all of the time.

So Trump's tweets aren't real? Phew

#FilibusterFolder

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 11:50 AM)
Yes, another Super Bowl title for the Bears would be a great thing. 1985 is just so far away.

Yup, and the fact those players and Ditka still milk it and the media and some fans eat it up is a head scratcher.

One thing I thought about is, we've seen our crosstown rival win one World Series in our lifetimes. How do you think New York Mets fans feel? A Met fan in their 20s or 30s has seen the Yankees win five championships, including one over the Mets.

Oakland A's fans have seen the Giants win three out of the past five World Series while they have to hear talk about their team possibly relocating.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 06:02 AM)
Oh my goodness. Nobody here has had a problem with the 8 billion bandwagon blackhawks fans that have emerged since 2010. gmab.

To be fair, I do. So much so that now I don't really follow the team.

I'm lame, I realize.

For the Cubs, their fans are like Bears fans. Most of them don't know s***, but there's a ton of them! The White Sox are becoming extinct, however.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 12:51 PM)
To be fair, I do. So much so that now I don't really follow the team.

I'm lame, I realize.

For the Cubs, their fans are like Bears fans. Most of them don't know s***, but there's a ton of them! The White Sox are becoming extinct, however.

How does that even work? If you don't want bandwagon fans do you just not want your teams to win?

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 01:14 PM)
My commute is a walk so I have no excuse not to go into work tomorrow. Wish me luck.

I'd advise anyone in my shoes to bring their own lunch so you don't have to go outside.

I remember cubs fans saying they turned their backs during our parade in 2005.

"I just talked to Tom Ricketts. I talked to him yesterday a couple times, I talked to him this morning again," Emanuel said when asked about the parade. "I think all of us would just want 20 minutes of consistent sleep, then we're gonna — Here's the thing: we're going to have a parade in Chicago that will stand the test of time. It will be a parade that 108 years have waited for. It will be a parade and a celebration that all of Chicago for 108 years in their mind's eye, have been envisioning. We're going to make it a reality in the city of Chicago."

giphy.gif