President-Elect Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 10:43 AM)
lol paperwork props.

And it won't be a blind trust, it'll be run by his sons. The same sons he has sit in on all of his meetings. So it's not severing conflicts of interest at all, and probably still in violation of the emoluments clause. He's not going to divest from hotels, golf clubs, real estate properties, anything.

C16C7ruW8Ag6-sW.jpg

they were purely props

e: they're also unlabeled, so almost definitely not even real files.

Edited by StrangeSox

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The story of the Trump dossier: secret sources, an airport handoff, and John McCain

Whatever the motive, it was quickly leaked – first to CNN, which reported on the material on Wednesday. That triggered a controversial decision by BuzzFeed to publish an unredacted version of the documents on its website. It is unclear where the BuzzFeed version came from. The author of the reports had been insistent on blotting out references to his Russian sources in the copies he gave to the press, including the Guardian, out of fear for their safety. The unredacted version could have come from the original client, who commissioned the research, or from intermediaries between the counter-intelligence contractor and the client.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
This is real life, folks. The American people can no longer be trusted to, in the era of the electoral college, elect someone for the people. 3 million more votes for someone eminemtly more qualified and somehow this has happened.

Our country is in very real trouble.

When half the people just choose not to vote at all...

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 11:29 AM)
Regarding ACA, he didn't really say anything at all beyond calling Obamacare/Democrats failures and saying we'll replace it with something good, and very soon.

He has no idea.

Its not going anywhere, ever.

Corey Booker laying into Sessions in his testimony right now, and Rep. John Lewis is up next. He's still going to sail through confirmation and be an awful, awful AG who works against civil rights and voting rights, but at least there's a heck of a lot more push back today than there was yesterday.

Yesterday, Sessions expressed heavy skepticism towards Consent Decrees, one of the best tools that the DoJ Civil Rights department has for bringing state and local public institutions into line.

Edited by StrangeSox

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/key-gop-ch...-replace-o-care

Lamar Alexander is proposing a realistic alternative. It will not cover as many people and leaves itself open to cost spirals, but mostly just shifts around a bunch of "aesthetic" objections.

I will give him credit, it is more serious than most of their proposals. It recognizes that getting more people treatment is a worthwhile goal.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
lets see what his policies look like, though. give him a chance.

Hans Von Spakovsky is a horrible man, who has been an incredibly useful idiot, posting flawed study after flawed study to be used by AGs to restrict voter id

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/al-...-id-stats-video

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
Hans Von Spakovsky is a horrible man, who has been an incredibly useful idiot, posting flawed study after flawed study to be used by AGs to restrict voter id

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/al-...-id-stats-video

So they passed out a flier basically promoting Sessions' record in favor of black voter suppression. Cool.

some background on that story that they're promoting as a good thing

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/magazine...scape.html?_r=1

In October, as part of the investigation and before the general election, Sessions’s office convened a federal grand jury more than 160 miles south, in Mobile, where the jury pool included more white people. Surrounded by F.B.I. agents and police with guns, about 20 black voters from Perry County, many older and some frail, were taken by bus to Mobile, where they were fingerprinted, photographed and questioned by the grand jury about their votes. “This was the most degrading thing,” the Rev. O.C. Dobynes, who accompanied the voters on the bus, told Congress a year later. “To me, it was just simply saying, We are going to scare you into saying what we want you to say.” Asked by a grand juror whether she’d voted absentee for the first time in the September primary, a Perry County resident named Fannie Mae Williams answered: “Uh-huh. First and last.” Two other women told the grand jury they were done with voting, according to the book “Lift Every Voice,” by Lani Guinier, a professor at Harvard Law School.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 11:53 AM)
@dominicholden 17m17 minutes ago

CNN’s Jim @Acosta said on the air that Trump’s team threatened to yank him from press conference if he tried to speak up again.

One day Trump will just take questions from Breitbart. His own personal propaganda website.

Maggie Haberman @maggieNYT

The incoming president compared the U.S. intel community to the Nazis in explicit terms at his press conference. That happened too.

1:07 PM - 11 Jan 2017

C16EW6dXAAkK3KY.jpg

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)
What kills me are the people who think he's smart and a nice guy. Someone you'd want to grab a beer with.

Like, Obama I would love to shoot the s*** with. I disagree with him on the vast majority of his policy positions, but as a person he seems like a very likeable dude. He's not someone i'm embarrassed to have as our representative. He doesn't say dumb things every time he opens his mouth.

Trump is the complete opposite. The next 4 or god forbid 8 years are going to be an absolute s*** show. And what's funny is the economy will probably do well just because of the nature of the cycle so he will get praised for it.

I agree with this so much, I could have written it myself.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:19 PM)
I agree with this so much, I could have written it myself.

I was going to post the this earlier but got distracted:

I think the same can be said about H Bush and W Bush . I may disagree with them on certain policies, but at least they werent total ass clowns.

I know earlier in the year I took some heat when I said that W maybe wasnt so bad, but I think more people are now starting to see the difference between: a) a guy who you disagree with but is doing what he believes is right for the country and b) a guy who would do anything for a slight advantage for himself, even if it meant completely destroying the country.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:35 PM)
I was going to post the this earlier but got distracted:

I think the same can be said about H Bush and W Bush . I may disagree with them on certain policies, but at least they werent total ass clowns.

I know earlier in the year I took some heat when I said that W maybe wasnt so bad, but I think more people are now starting to see the difference between: a) a guy who you disagree with but is doing what he believes is right for the country and b) a guy who would do anything for a slight advantage for himself, even if it meant completely destroying the country.

I mean, I'd take W over Trump for sure. But I have a hard time being OK with that whole illegal disaster of a war that killed hundreds of thousands and cost a trillion dollars for no good result thing. Though I do think, as you said, he was doing what he thought was right. He was just a poor executive.

His Dad, I think, was a pretty good President.

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

In an extraordinary move, Head of Office of Government Ethics says Trump's plan on separating business from White House is unacceptable.

3:45 PM - 11 Jan 2017

Trump will be in violation of the Constitution day 1, pretty much.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 11:36 AM)
he's also right here:

Luckily, he can't launch any ICBM strikes for 9 days.

And luckily for Mexico, Carlos Slim will be spared...."great guy, terrific guy, we're going to do business together, lots of potential deals on the table."

Edited by caulfield12

I just can't get over the Senator Cotton story that he purposely held back an Obama nomination who had been consistently blocked nad then was dying of leukemia and he still blocked her just because "he knew it would cause Obama pain"

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 05:59 PM)
I just can't get over the Senator Cotton story that he purposely held back an Obama nomination who had been consistently blocked nad then was dying of leukemia and he still blocked her just because "he knew it would cause Obama pain"

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/07/opinion/...hopes.html?_r=0

There's the classic "inside the Beltway" story...she was to be Ambassador to the Bahamas of all places, Cassandra Butts was her name

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/trump-press-confer...-174157523.html

A t.v. critic/reviewer takes on the assignment of assessing Trump's first press conference..."A HOSTILE GAS LEAK"

Once he began calling on reporters, the salient headline answer would seem to be an admission that “I think it was Russia” that was behind the election-period hacks. Later, on the same subject, Trump gave a slightly incoherent answer about Russian president Vladimir Putin; its meaning slid through his syntax: “He shouldn’t have done it, I don’t believe he’ll be doing it more, now.” And, never one to leave a grudge untended, Trump freshened his oldie about Hillary Clinton: “Does anyone in this room think Hillary would be tougher on Russia than me? Gimme a break.

Dillon’s (Trump lawyer on the conflict of interest "non-issue") news conference interruption was as long and tedious as you’d imagine from any lawyer reading a lot of legal jargon and redundancy (e.g., “he will hire an expert in the field of recognized experts”). It served another purpose: It ate up time, limiting the number of questions Trump would answer.

In the conference’s most hostile exchange, Trump refused to take a question from CNN’s Jim Acosta, dismissing him as “fake news.” When the press conference was over, it was left to Jake Tapper to explain the context of Trump’s animosity, and to note that this was nothing less than “an attempt to discredit [a] legitimate news organization.” (note: even FOX NEWS is defending CNN, talk about surreal!)

Asked what the impending repeal of the Affordable Care Act would be replaced with, Trump gave the standard Trump-and-Republican Party line of gassy vagueness: “You’re gonna be very, very proud of what we put forth. Obamacare is a complete and total disaster. … it’ll be repealed and replaced … it’ll be almost simultaneous. … It’s very complicated stuff. … We’re gonna take care of health in this country. … We’re going to have a plan that is far less expensive and far better.”

In other words, no specific answer.

From today’s press conference, it looks as though the Trump Show that debuted during the campaign will continue, with minimal tweaks, into a new season. Same format, same content.

Edited by caulfield12