Frazier Trade Discussion

southsider2k5

I think looking to keep Frazier around through the '19 season isn't a bad idea. As others have pointed out, Frazier is a great teammate and leader for the youth movement. He won't be in high demand next winter in FA so his salary and contract demands won't be crazy. If Frazier at least puts up the same numbers as last season ( hopefully better BA) I'd offer 2/30M with a mutual option for a third year in 2020.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 27, 2017 -> 06:55 PM)
Trade Frazier at the deadline, then bring him back for 2 years and $20 million.

Trade at deadline. Then sign for 1 yr $12 million in the offseason. Trade again at next deadline. Lather, rinse, repeat. Then he will REALLY be a part of the rebuild.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 01:15 PM)
Paying Frazier for 2 years in which Sox won't be competing for his age 31 and 32 seasons doesn't really make any sense.

Your post doesn't make any sense.

They'll have tons of money to spend. Why not bring him back for a couple years to sell tickets and provide a veteran presence for all the young guys?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
Your post doesn't make any sense.

They'll have tons of money to spend. Why not bring him back for a couple years to sell tickets and provide a veteran presence for all the young guys?

It does make some sense. I understand the value of having a guy like Frazier in the locker room and on the field to help show young guys how hard they have to work, practice, study film, and whatever else. On the other hand, you are also removing potential value from a rebuild in getting a younger player in a position to succeed Frazier at 3B while also removing any potential value you may get from Frazier in a potential trade.

I would take this year by year. Under the new CBA, you can only a qualifying offer to a player once, so I'd let this year run its course, keeping Frazier available in a trade but only at the price of a late 2nd round pick (say a 50 FV player and a lottery ticket), and if no one bites, you offer him a qualifying offer. If he accepts, you have him for 2018 too, and if he does not, then you recoup the value, even if it's a year later. At that point, a 1 year, $18 million contract is not going to kill the White Sox.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 01:11 PM)
Why is Frazier?

Guys who follow the team closely seem to indicate Melky is the one most guys turn to in the clubhouse. Obviously the media doesn't talk to him as much, but that ultimately means very little about whether one is a leader or not.

I think that answer clears it up.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 01:45 PM)
It does make some sense. I understand the value of having a guy like Frazier in the locker room and on the field to help show young guys how hard they have to work, practice, study film, and whatever else. On the other hand, you are also removing potential value from a rebuild in getting a younger player in a position to succeed Frazier at 3B while also removing any potential value you may get from Frazier in a potential trade.

I would take this year by year. Under the new CBA, you can only a qualifying offer to a player once, so I'd let this year run its course, keeping Frazier available in a trade but only at the price of a late 2nd round pick (say a 50 FV player and a lottery ticket), and if no one bites, you offer him a qualifying offer. If he accepts, you have him for 2018 too, and if he does not, then you recoup the value, even if it's a year later. At that point, a 1 year, $18 million contract is not going to kill the White Sox.

If Frazier makes it to the point that the Sox have to decide whether to give him a QO it will shock me.

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
Players are less likely to accept a QO now that the compensation has been lessened.

My point was that would be after this season is over . Just can't see him still being on the Sox for the full season when there's still a shot at him being traded before the season starts and during the season.

I think anytime a team rebuilds it's important to have that 1 vet that sticks with the team year after year...someone to model on and off the field. A "Paul Konerko" if you will--someone who is still mashing in his prime, but exemplary in conduct and being a professional. That person evolves as the face of the franchise and helps carry the team once they get good. Anthony Rizzo played that role for the Cubs and I think Todd Frazier is that guy for us. They might move him, but with the market being kind of low for 3rd basemen, I just have a gut feeling he's THE vet they would like to keep if they could. Plus, they went 3948 years without a quality 3rd basemen...just a gut feeling--nothing more. I'm not the GM, but I see a rare character gene in Frazier...something about him that screams great leader.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 08:01 AM)
I think anytime a team rebuilds it's important to have that 1 vet that sticks with the team year after year...someone to model on and off the field. A "Paul Konerko" if you will--someone who is still mashing in his prime, but exemplary in conduct and being a professional. That person evolves as the face of the franchise and helps carry the team once they get good. Anthony Rizzo played that role for the Cubs and I think Todd Frazier is that guy for us. They might move him, but with the market being kind of low for 3rd basemen, I just have a gut feeling he's THE vet they would like to keep if they could. Plus, they went 3948 years without a quality 3rd basemen...just a gut feeling--nothing more. I'm not the GM, but I see a rare character gene in Frazier...something about him that screams great leader.

Anthony Rizzo is a terrible example. He's basically in the same age range as everyone else on the Cubs' core.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 08:04 AM)
Anthony Rizzo is a terrible example. He's basically in the same age range as everyone else on the Cubs' core.

Agreed, Rizzo is a bad example because he is still young and signed long term

Frazier should be dealt at some point before the trade deadline, as should Melky

Abreu likely will stick around unless we get a really nice package for him

We want to have maximum payroll flexibility moving forward during the rebuild so that we are ready to make a splash once we are ready to contend again in a few seasons

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 09:09 AM)
Agreed, Rizzo is a bad example because he is still young and signed long term

Frazier should be dealt at some point before the trade deadline, as should Melky

Abreu likely will stick around unless we get a really nice package for him

We want to have maximum payroll flexibility moving forward during the rebuild so that we are ready to make a splash once we are ready to contend again in a few seasons

The Abreu/Moncada friendship is no small thing, either. Anything is possible, but you want Moncada to be comfortable when he's with the big league club. The right deal is the right deal, but I would move Frazier first.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 10:37 AM)
The Abreu/Moncada friendship is no small thing, either. Anything is possible, but you want Moncada to be comfortable when he's with the big league club. The right deal is the right deal, but I would move Frazier first.

Those two are attached at the hip.