Danks to the Braves

BlackSox13

Danks never should have been DFA'ed. He was NOT our worst pitcher. If he's not hurt, he's definitely young enough to make a comeback especially if he becomes more of a crafty lefty. I LOVE John Danks and think he got the shaft with the Sox. Shields couldn't even last 3 innings without getting lit up. Danks was not even that bad. He should have been moved to long relief til he got his act together. Our bullpen has been horrific the last several years and he coulda joined that bullpen.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 07:56 PM)
Danks never should have been DFA'ed. He was NOT our worst pitcher. If he's not hurt, he's definitely young enough to make a comeback especially if he becomes more of a crafty lefty. I LOVE John Danks and think he got the shaft with the Sox. Shields couldn't even last 3 innings without getting lit up. Danks was not even that bad. He should have been moved to long relief til he got his act together. Our bullpen has been horrific the last several years and he coulda joined that bullpen.

Greg, I'm pretty sure everybody loved John Danks, but after his injury, he was not the pitcher he once was.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 07:56 PM)

???

Were we watching the same player? Danks has been BAD for 6 straight years dude. As mentioned, ever since the injury he's been atrocious. Don't get me wrong, I hated the Shields trade and he is clearly on the downside of his career - but come on, you'd rather have Danks if money isn't a factor? Sure, Shields has been terrible the past 2 years, but he was an elite inning-eater SP previous to that for the majority of his career. Danks had one great year + 2 solid years in his career before gettting hurt. He tried to become a "crafty lefty" and f***ing couldn't to save his life. If he wasn't signed long term with JR being cheap he would have been DFAd in 2014. I loved John Danks the human just as you clearly did/do, but get your head out of your ass. He was consistently the worst pitcher I've seen in a White Sox uniform since 2011, maybe ever.

Danks 2011-2016: 756 IP/ 4.79 ERA / 4.60 FIP / 85 ERA+ (15% below league average pitcher) / 818 H / 1.4 WHIP

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 05:24 AM)
???

Were we watching the same player? Danks has been BAD for 6 straight years dude. As mentioned, ever since the injury he's been atrocious. Don't get me wrong, I hated the Shields trade and he is clearly on the downside of his career - but come on, you'd rather have Danks if money isn't a factor? Sure, Shields has been terrible the past 2 years, but he was an elite inning-eater SP previous to that for the majority of his career. Danks had one great year + 2 solid years in his career before gettting hurt. He tried to become a "crafty lefty" and f***ing couldn't to save his life. If he wasn't signed long term with JR being cheap he would have been DFAd in 2014. I loved John Danks the human just as you clearly did/do, but get your head out of your ass. He was consistently the worst pitcher I've seen in a White Sox uniform since 2011, maybe ever.

Danks 2011-2016: 756 IP/ 4.79 ERA / 4.60 FIP / 85 ERA+ (15% below league average pitcher) / 818 H / 1.4 WHIP

Danks was not bad at all year before last. I stand by my statement he was not even the worst pitcher on the staff. Why didn't they move him to the pen? Notice once we dumped him how bad the team got? He by all accounts was a good clubhouse guy which we needed when the team pissed away the 23-10 start.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 11:24 PM)
???

Seriously man. Makes no sense. Saying the Sox needed a pitcher and his 7.25 ERA is just Ludacris. The Sox 23-10 record was a mirage that most knew was not sustainable based on the fact they were winning due to some incredible starts from their pitchers not named John Danks. Easy for a team to win despite only scoring 2 or 3 runs per game when the pitching staff was lights out at the time, well everyone BUT Danks.

I wish Danks well but it was time for the Sox to move on.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 07:23 AM)
2015 ERAs with Sox

Jeff Samardzija: 4.96

John Danks: 4.71

I award one point to greg

Yes, because the 2015 Samardzija had everything to do with the 2016 John Danks s***ting the bed from the start of the season and therefore leading to his release? Bottom line is that overall, Danks was bad for the entirety of his contract extension. I do believe the injury had everything to do with it and it really is unfortunate because I have no doubt that if not for the injury he would have pitched much better and the conversation would be much different today. I think the Sox were more than patient enough with Danks but in the end he just wasn't able to get back to where he was pre-injury.

I hope he takes advantage of the opportunity the Braves are giving him and is able to pitch well. He's still young enough to possibly serve as quality 5th starter in the NL.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 08:01 AM)
You'll be able to relive all your post surgery John Danks memories with Derek Holland. Just remember to buy tickets early, he is going to get flipped for a future all star or 2 by the trade deadline.

I hope so...worst case scenario is he is awful and helps push us towards the #1 pick in the 2018 draft haha

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 07:25 AM)
Samardjiza was not brought back leaving Danks as our worst pitcher. I revoke the point, and you for agreeing with greg.

I'd like to appeal the court's decision. greg specifically said "the year before last". Plus, nobody likes Samardzija

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 07:23 AM)
2015 ERAs with Sox

Jeff Samardzija: 4.96

John Danks: 4.71

I award one point to greg

Because one bad year vs 6 bad years using one stat is a wonderful argument.

2015 fWAR:

Samardzija: 2.6

Danks: 1.7

Danks career fWAR year by year:

2011: 3.0

2012: 0.3

2013: 0.2

2014: 0.5

2015: 1.7

2016: -0.1

No points for greg. It's an all-around s***y argument.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
Because one bad year vs 6 bad years using one stat is a wonderful argument.

2015 fWAR:

Samardzija: 2.6

Danks: 1.7

Danks career fWAR year by year:

2011: 3.0

2012: 0.3

2013: 0.2

2014: 0.5

2015: 1.7

2016: -0.1

No points for greg. It's an all-around s***y argument.

Not that I'm saying Danks was good post injury, but on what planet is a 3 fWAR or even a 1.7 fWAR season bad?

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)
Not that I'm saying Danks was good post injury, but on what planet is a 3 fWAR or even a 1.7 fWAR season bad?

I never said 3 WAR is bad. Obviously a 3.0 is pretty good. I used 2011 as part of it to show where he was at pre-injury. He got hurt in 2012, right? A 1.7 is not special. If you pitch near 200 innings with an under 5 ERA, you should get a 1.7 WAR as an SP. Add in those 4 other years of dogs*** performance and that's where John Danks was consistently trash since the surgery. The guy has averaged 0.5 WAR anually since 2012, including an otherworldly 1.7 WAR in 2015.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (BRIRO2017 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 10:35 PM)
This thread made me look up Danks stats and I had forgotten he had 3 good years in a row. But he's terrible now and was terrible when the sox let him go. It's almost 2017. Danks sucks.

For some reason Danks was a huge scapegoat on this board, kind of the reason for Sox rotten-ness according to the fans. Fans on this board despised him I guess cause he made a lot of money and didn't earn it cause of injury. It's always amazed me how fans get mad at guys who make the money and suck. If it wasn't Danks it's somebody else getting the money and not earning it. I don't care if Jerry loses some money here and there. He's still going to charge exorbitant prices for parking and hot dogs and everything else.

Danks was despised more than Robin and I don't get that at all. Like I said, year before last he was good the second half. I mean there was no outcry to get rid of Shields and he was miserable. We've also had so many bad relievers and spot starters the last few years.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 07:19 PM)
For some reason Danks was a huge scapegoat on this board, kind of the reason for Sox rotten-ness according to the fans. Fans on this board despised him I guess cause he made a lot of money and didn't earn it cause of injury. It's always amazed me how fans get mad at guys who make the money and suck. If it wasn't Danks it's somebody else getting the money and not earning it. I don't care if Jerry loses some money here and there. He's still going to charge exorbitant prices for parking and hot dogs and everything else.

Danks was despised more than Robin and I don't get that at all. Like I said, year before last he was good the second half. I mean there was no outcry to get rid of Shields and he was miserable. We've also had so many bad relievers and spot starters the last few years.

You need to step up your troll game son.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 01:29 AM)
You need to step up your troll game son.

Do you read the board? Danks got no credit for his good performance year before last and the hate before his release was way out of proportion than it should have been. Check some of his starts the second half of season before last. True, he reeked at the start last year prior to his release, but IMO there was no need to release him. A lousy team like the White Sox could have put him in the bullpen or the wink wink DL list for a while.

Edited by greg775

Scapegoats and saviors; scapegoats and heroes. That’s what it’s all about. That’s what the world is all about.

Get solid and you won’t have scapegoats and won’t feel the need to force-feed heroes, most of whom are faux-heroes anyway.

The one to look to flip is Gonzalez; if he repeats last year, moving him along won't be a problem.

Edited by GreenSox