Jacob Turner to the Nationals

I think Turner can turn into a decent reliever. Minor league deal for a formerly very heralded 25 year old that can still get it up to 98 seems like a no brainer. He definitely has sucked the last few years. And the White Sox considering he could be a rotation piece last year was either total BS or very laughable.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
He was used as a reliever last year though.

Yes, but just getting his feet wet. Make it full time in Spring Training, and when he goes to AAA. He was awful so he wasn't getting consistent work. I don't think he will pull an Andrew Miller, but I think he could still have a decent career.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
I think Turner can turn into a decent reliever. Minor league deal for a formerly very heralded 25 year old that can still get it up to 98 seems like a no brainer. He definitely has sucked the last few years. And the White Sox considering he could be a rotation piece last year was either total BS or very laughable.

I agree. I never quite got the idea why we weren't trying to see if he could be an effective reliever. The whole notion of him as a starter was awful, imo.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
Yes, but just getting his feet wet. Make it full time in Spring Training, and when he goes to AAA. He was awful so he wasn't getting consistent work. I don't think he will pull an Andrew Miller, but I think he could still have a decent career.

Andrew Miller's turnaround is one of the more interesting cases that I have seen of a player going from a bust to elite level

Don't think we will see anything like that again soon. He immediately started to get better after being converted to a full time reliever, but it is amazing how he was able to drastically cut his walk rate in the span of a few seasons

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
I agree. I never quite got the idea why we weren't trying to see if he could be an effective reliever. The whole notion of him as a starter was awful, imo.

While too soon to give up on him being a starter, I see Carson Fulmer having the potential to be a very good reliever in time.

If he can just focus for an inning or two and harness his raw stuff he could be an overpowering setup man or closer

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
While too soon to give up on him being a starter, I see Carson Fulmer having the potential to be a very good reliever in time.

If he can just focus for an inning or two and harness his raw stuff he could be an overpowering setup man or closer

If he comes out next year throwing like he did late in the season, I'm going to severely hinder his chances of much anything. He can not excel pitching the way he did, with the overall lack of velocity / stuff, late in the season. I hope for him, it was more of a fatigue aspect and/or mechanical issue that is worked out and we see his velocity and stuff back. The performance I saw wasn't one that was a lack of performance because they were raw, it was a guy that looked meh.