2017 Minor League Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

Charlotte Knights

@KnightsBaseball

ROSTER MOVES: Max Beatty promoted to #CLTKnights from @WSDashBaseball, Kelvis Valerio back to @WSDashBaseball. LHP Giovanni Soto to DL...

Charlotte Knights @KnightsBaseball

4m

... LHP Colton Turner has been promoted to the #CLTKnights from @BhamBarons. Roster at 25 active.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/prospect-heat...-182454119.html

Vlad Guerrero Jr will be top prospect in baseball by end of the year...according to two scouts.

Passan article

DSL White Sox start season Saturday, Monday-Friday next week

http://www.milb.com/schedule/results.jsp?cid=633

I wonder who from the Class of 2016 will start down there? Any word on guys like Guerrero and Mises? Are they in Arizona?

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 11:29 AM)
Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal

Source: RHP Bobby Parnell to #WhiteSox on minor-league deal.

Haha. I remember when the sox were rumored to Parnell + when he was a prospect in a Dye deal a few years back. I believe Jenks was also rumored. KW always gets his man. :lol:

1:22

Jacko: Micker Adolfo looks good this year. IYO, what’s his ceiling?

1:23

Eric A Longenhagen: Pretty traditional right field profile with chance for 20+ homers, lots of strike outs, some speed and arm strength. Glad he’s finally hitting, but not sure if it’s going to stick.

link

Danny Mendick, 2B, Chicago AL (Profile)

Mendick’s fringe credentials are beyond reproach. A product of the University of Massachusetts-Lowell, he was selected by the White Sox in the 22nd round of the 2015 draft only after his senior year. It’s not a profile that often translates to a successful career in affiliated ball. But Mendick has played quite well, not only recording one of the lowest strikeout rates in the Carolina League but also an isolated-power figure that currently sits in about the 80th percentile among the league’s qualified batters.

Of perhaps even greater interest, however, is his defensive acumen. While having recorded most of his games as a second baseman this year, the numbers suggests that he provides value more reminiscent of a plus shortstop. According to Baseball Prospectus, he’s provided the equivalent of a win and a half defensively — in limited playing time — over each of the past two seasons. Clay Davenport’s methodology produces similarly impressive numbers, as the following table illustrates.

link

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 11:40 AM)

Winston-Salem Hitting Coach Charlie Poe was talking with Rob (FutureSox) about how he's the rare guy who has played himself into a full time role. With his defensive chops (he won awards in college for his D at shortstop), if he keeps hitting, he's a guy to keep an eye on. 23 years old isn't young in High A, but it's not exactly old either, he's fine there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 11:04 AM)
He'd been taking swings in the cage about a month ago, but then he was slowed down again. Intercostal muscle injury.

Thanks NSS. I was hoping he could build on his strong start last year, so this must be disappointing for him. Hopefully he can have come back and have a great second half.

Alec Hansen, RHP, White Sox: The club hasn’t developed many impact arms in recent years — since the likes of Chris Sale — and has mostly been focused on acquiring other teams’ prized pitching prospects (Michael Kopech, Lucas Giolito). However, the Sox have a real sleeper in Hansen — who is in the midst of a full-blown breakout. The 6-7, 235 beast on the mound can dial up his heater into the upper 90s but it’s the outstanding control of his offerings that makes him so tough. He’s walked just 23 batters in 72.2 innings (with 92 Ks). Now, Hansen is already 22 years old and in low-A ball so the Sox need to push him up to give him a fair test. If he continues to succeed, his mix of velo, control and potential four average-or-better offerings could make him an ace.

from Marc Hulet @ fangraphs link

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 11:12 AM)
Wow, I didn't realize his walk numbers had gotten that low.

Agreed, I can't wait to see him up at A+ shortly.

In terms of ceiling our system looks like this to me.

Giolito

Kopech

Hansen

Lopez

Guerrero

Fulmer

Dunning

Adams

Stephens

Flores

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
Agreed, I can't wait to see him up at A+ shortly.

In terms of ceiling our system looks like this to me.

Giolito

Kopech

Hansen

Lopez

Guerrero

Fulmer

Dunning

Adams

Stephens

Flores

I don't see how anyone has a higher ceiling than Kopech.

Luis Curbelo, 3B, Chicago AL (Profile)

Level: Short Season Age: 19 Org Rank: 21 Top 100: NR

Line: 3-for-5, HR, BB

Notes

Curbelo had first-round tools as an amateur, but he scuffled against Floridian high-school pitching after transferring to Cocoa High School from Puerto Rico for his senior year. His sketchy feel to hit forced him to the sixth round of last year’s draft, but he has plus raw power projection and could be an above-average defender at third base.

from Longenhagen's prospect notes link