2017 Minor League Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

Dickman aka Mendick makes the fringe 5 again

Danny Mendick, 2B/SS, Chicago AL (Profile)

Only five players have recorded both a strikeout rate and isolated-power figure a half-standard deviation or better above the Carolina League average. Here are those five.

Contact and Power Among Carolina League Qualifiers
Name    Team    Age    PA    K%    ISO    zK%    zISO    zAVG
Austin Hays    Orioles    21    280    14.3%    .263    1.3    2.1    1.7
Ryan Mountcastle    Orioles    20    340    15.9%    .235    1.1    1.6    1.3
Danny Mendick    White Sox    23    275    11.6%    .183    1.8    0.7    1.3
Victor Robles    Nationals    20    293    18.4%    .222    0.6    1.4    1.0
Troy Stokes Jr.    Brewers    21    348    17.8%    .193    0.7    0.9    0.8
Metrics preceded by -z- indicate z-scores relative to mean produced by Carolina League qualifiers.

Austin Hays (who appears among the Next Five below) was recently promoted to Double-A based on his performance this season. Ryan Mountcastle and Victor Robles just appeared on Baseball Prospectus’s midseason top-50 list. As for Stokes, he’s a corner outfielder who’s main tool is his bat. Finally, there’s Mendick. A bit older than the other four listed here, he’s also exhibited an offensive profile that one doesn’t typically expect of a 22nd-round pick. What else he’s exhibited is markedly above-average defensive value. He’s struck out just once over his last 30 plate appearances, dating back to June 29th.

link

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Calvagno from notesfromthesally.com on his first look at Jake Burger link

Conclusion: Burger is fun to watch. The bat speed he generates is impressive as is the bat to ball skills. We could be looking at a player that hits 275 ish with 23-28 HR with good walk rates. It’s a body that probably doesn’t age well though and he’ll have to work to stay on the left side of the diamond. As I’m watching him the name I kept coming up with was Kevin Millar with plus power.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 06:14 AM)
Did I read some tweets over the weekend that Burdi was supposed to be in Chicago for an MRI on his arm this week? If so, I/we haven't heard anything. Anyone see/hear the same?

The tweet I saw said the MRI was for Thursday. Kinda confused why they'd wait that long but who knows.

Jeff Long at BP recent eyewitness account on Fulmer

Overall

Fulmer is a fighter on the mound, using an array of pitches and variations thereof to keep opposing hitters on their toes. His mechanics remain unorthodox, but he repeats them reasonably well despite the complexity. An athletic pitcher, his movements are fluid and he comes off the mound well, while also showing a very good pick-off move to both first and second.

Fulmer likely profiles as a good reliever, possibly even a solid late-inning option when pairing back his repertoire and working in shorter stints. There's a chance he can develop into a serviceable starter, but there's a lot of volatility in his command profile, and it's unclear if he can successfully turn over a major-league lineup multiple times.

link

Back in January, when MLBPipeline.com first unveiled all of its 2017 rankings, the White Sox system was ranked No. 3 in all of baseball, behind only the Braves and the Yankees. There will be a new top 10 organizations ranking to go along with all of the new lists, and things like Draft classes and July 2 international signings will have be taken into account, but it's hard to imagine the White Sox not ascending to the top spot of that list.

Externally, the Yankees system has taken a hit in terms of graduations (Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez) and some injuries (Gleyber Torres, James Kaprielian). That probably means the Braves give the White Sox their biggest competition. They've lost Dansby Swanson from the top of the list, but they are still extremely deep, with some players making very large steps forward.

But this is really more about what the White Sox have done internally to potentially vault to that top spot. Some of the arms haven't been consistent performers, like Giolito and Lopez from the trade front and Carson Fulmer (2015 Draft) from the homegrown talent group. And 2016 first-rounder Zack Collins hasn't hit the way he is capable, though he did just attend the SiriusXM Futures Game. But even if some were to drop off the Top 100, others like Alec Hansen (2016 Draft), Dane Dunning (Eaton trade) and even Spencer Adams (2014 Draft) could find their way onto the Top 100 at some point.

Mayo on the Q trade link Edited by beautox

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 04:12 PM)
Mayo on the Q trade link

We all remember the days when whoever we drafted in the first round was immediately our #1 or #2 prospect. We can rejoice in knowing the system is currently so deep that Burger is not even in the 10 best prospects we have.

Charlotte Knights @KnightsBaseball

now

ROSTER MOVES: Catcher Carson Blair & RHP Bobby Parnell released by #WhiteSox. Catcher Roberto Pena activated off DL...

Charlotte Knights @KnightsBaseball

now

ROSTER MOVES: RHP Michael Ynoa placed on the DL (retroactive to 7/23), LHP Will Lamb traded to #Colorado organization. Roster 25 active.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

Anybody surprised as hell about what Tim Tebow is doing in High A?

Through 84 ABs:

.310 AVG, .402 OBP, .938 OPS, 4 HR, 15 RBI, 10 BB, 18 SO

I know they aren't great numbers but for a guy who hasn't played in 10+ years before this it is pretty amazing what he is doing.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 09:44 PM)

Through 84 ABs:

I know they aren't great numbers but for a guy who hasn't played in 10+ years before this it is pretty amazing what he is doing.

I am extremely impressed.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 11:44 PM)

Through 84 ABs:

Tebow playing at same level as Collins (A+). If Collins had those numbers........

An aside on Tebow. Last week I was in Port St. Lucie, FL, which is where his team plays, and I visited a new, huge condo complex being built there. Turns out Tebow and several of his teammates live there, and the Project Manager there, who is a friend of mine, was glowing in his praise of Tebow.

When the team is in town, he works out there whenever schedule permits, always with a bunch of fitness pros coaching him on everything. Of course, everybody there loves him.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 11:44 PM)

Through 84 ABs:

It is a bit impressive, especially considering how bad he was in Low-A. If he can keep that up in AA/AAA, then I'll be genuinely impressed, and It'll pretty much all but guarantee he'll see the majors in September. I heard he's awful defensively, though.

I feel dirty saying it, but I hope it happens.

Edited by Señor Ding-Dong

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 04:13 PM)
It is a bit impressive, especially considering how bad he was in Low-A. If he can keep that up in AA/AAA, then I'll be genuinely impressed, and It'll pretty much all but guarantee he'll see the majors in September. I heard he's awful defensively, though.

I feel dirty saying it, but I hope it happens.

I'm rooting for him. Yeah his hype train in football went overboard but that's not really his fault. From all accounts he seems like a good guy and it's clear he's taking this very seriously.

I know aggressive promotions have been a big argument around these parts... it is interesting to see both the Dodgers and Braves mentioned here, and not the White Sox.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1501251328

CCP (Taiwan): Braves no doubt is the most aggressive organization in baseball. But are they too aggressive in last season and this season? And why are they so aggressive to promote almost everyone?

Ben Badler: I’d put the Dodgers up there with them in the aggressive promotions. I can’t argue with the results on some of them, like Ronald Acuna, but I do think they are feeling the pressure to try to contend faster than their internal talent level will allow them to, which is why you’re seeing them try to rush some of these guys up the ladder.