2017 Democratic Thread

bmags

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 08:13 AM)
Not sure if that's a veiled comment directed towards me. I'm aware of his voting history and his developing stances on issues.

No, toward everyone. Including myself. I always liked Biden, he has dealt with just awful tragedy in his life.

Then you read his voting record and stance on issues. I'll pass. Also, how he treated Anita Hill was disgusting, I will never vote for him.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 09:23 AM)
There is going to be so many people running. 10-15 probably.

Yeah, years like this open up "odder" positions like Mayors and Reps that otherwise would wait until they get in more of a national position.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 09:04 AM)
I would be shocked if Hillary ran again. I have no interest in backing her as a candidate after it was clear her baggage at least helped Trump become the President. Here's the folks I think will make a legitimate run:

Joe Biden

Kamala Harris

Kirsten Gillibrand

Bernie Sanders

I'd be happy to support any of the first three, most excited about Biden. Bernie will be 79 years old at the next election, so I sure as hell hope he doesn't run. I also don't want the party divided which of course his candidacy would bring.

I can promise you the nominee will be none of those four. It's going to be someone most of us aren't talking about. Biden and Bernie are way too old, and unfortunately, a woman would be tough vs. Trump. Absolutely a woman for VP though.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 11:03 AM)
I can promise you the nominee will be none of those four. It's going to be someone most of us aren't talking about. Biden and Bernie are way too old, and unfortunately, a woman would be tough vs. Trump. Absolutely a woman for VP though.

This thinking should not matter at all.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)
But it does in the real world.

If in the real world "being a woman" is going to cost us elections because people won't vote for women then our party is just going to have to lose elections. We cannot be someone other than who we are just because a bunch of the country is misogynists.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
If in the real world "being a woman" is going to cost us elections because people won't vote for women then our party is just going to have to lose elections. We cannot be someone other than who we are just because a bunch of the country is misogynists.

No thanks?

It costs us right now, vs Trump, in this scenario. We're not as evolved as a country as we all made ourselves believe over the last decade. We will get to the point where a woman becomes President. It will happen in our lifetimes. It's not vs. Donald Trump, unfortunately.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 11:11 AM)
It costs us right now, vs Trump, in this scenario. We're not as evolved as a country as we all made ourselves believe over the last decade. We will get to the point where a woman becomes President. It will happen in our lifetimes. It's not vs. Donald Trump, unfortunately.

As of right now Gillebrand and Harris look like the two strongest candidates to me and I'm totally happy with that. We'll see where that goes in 2 years.

I'm not voting for an inferior man just because of some fear that the country demands inferior white men as their leaders.

Why would being a woman be a negative against Trump specifically? A major typical sexist criticism of women in positions of power, that they're 'too emotional', would go right out the window.

I also don't think there's much value to be had in the "conventional DC wisdom" these days.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)
As of right now Gillebrand and Harris look like the two strongest candidates to me and I'm totally happy with that. We'll see where that goes in 2 years.

I'm not voting for an inferior man just because of some fear that the country demands inferior white men as their leaders.

In the primaries? Great. More power to you.

In a general, that sounds a lot like Bernie or Bust-ism.

By the way, Cory Booker isn't white. Though my dream team is O'Malley/Bustos

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)

Who knows how something like that would really play out, anyway. I don't know if Bernie would have won in the general, but I do know my wife voted for Clinton in the primary because she was terrified of Trump and thought Clinton was the "safer" nominee.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 11:16 AM)
Why would being a woman be a negative against Trump specifically? A major typical sexist criticism of women in positions of power, that they're 'too emotional', would go right out the window.

I also don't think there's much value to be had in the "conventional DC wisdom" these days.

Did that go out the window with Hillary?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
In the primaries? Great. More power to you.

In a general, that sounds a lot like Bernie or Bust-ism.

By the way, Cory Booker isn't white. Though my dream team is O'Malley/Bustos

I had legitimately no idea who Bustos was. But O'Malley counts under my description.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
Did that go out the window with Hillary?

It wasn't a highlight of the criticisms of her, and the entire country has now seen how competent and capable Trump is in office.

I wouldn't argue against the idea that there's a general disadvantage for a woman candidate, but I'm still not seeing why being a woman is a negative particularly against Trump.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 11:19 AM)
I had legitimately no idea who Bustos was. But O'Malley counts under my description.

No one knows who she is, but isn't she the s***? 😁

Only Dem to win in Trump Country by 20 points.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 03:01 PM)
Wow

Jordan Pascale‏Verified account

@JWPascale

Follow Follow @JWPascale

More

BREAKING: Democrat Shelly Simonds appears to win Virginia House seat by A SINGLE VOTE, according to preliminary unofficial recount results.

Would mean 50-50 split of House.

Judge panel must certify results. Legal challenge probably coming.

It is 11,608 to 11,607

R candidate Yancey is now challenging, saying that a single vote thrown out yesterday for being an "overvote" should have been counted, which would put the race at a tie. They'd draw lots to determine the winner then.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 11:36 AM)
R candidate Yancey is now challenging, saying that a single vote thrown out yesterday for being an "overvote" should have been counted, which would put the race at a tie. They'd draw lots to determine the winner then.

This sounds like an episode of VEEP