2017 Democratic Thread

bmags

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems that losing those write-in votes for Republican stand-ins (including Shelby's vote) might have been the final difference.

There was a huge spread between men and women, +13 for Moore (men) and a whopping +17 for Jones (women).

In the Clinton/Trump election last year, it was +11 Trump (men) and +13 Clinton (women). That spread widened another 6%, one could assume largely due to the sexual misconduct allegations.

Trump, Bannon, McConnell the biggest losers on the night.

Tennessee now looks to be in play with Phil Bredesen announced for Corker's seat.

This is the biggest upset politically I can remember since Scott Brown beat Martha Coakley in Massachusetts and trimmed Obama's margins in the middle of the Tea Party/ObamaCare fallout.

As one GOPer said, you should have been able to pick ANYONE in the state of Alabama randomly out of a phone book and still won that race.

The only person who COULD have lost is Roy Moore.

The reason I originally endorsed Luther Strange (and his numbers went up mightily), is that I said Roy Moore will not be able to win the General Election. I was right! Roy worked hard but the deck was stacked against him!

Nice try, Trumpster.

The fact is that Moore easily was going to win that race before the sexual misconduct allegations...while it’s true Strange probably would have won, Trump endorsed Moore wholeheartedly when he thought there was a good chance he could win the final two weeks. He did the Pensacola rally Friday and robocall recordings.

Three losses in a row, Gillespie in VA, now Strange and Moore, all in just a couple months. Ain’t winnin’ grand?

The irony is you might have stayed out of it had Ivanka not commented on Moore. Then couldn’t resist.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 10:59 PM)
This is the biggest upset politically I can remember since Scott Brown beat Martha Coakley in Massachusetts and trimmed Obama's margins in the middle of the Tea Party/ObamaCare fallout.

As one GOPer said, you should have been able to pick ANYONE in the state of Alabama randomly out of a phone book and still won that race.

DNC playbook - See HRC

QUOTE (brett05 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 10:22 AM)
DNC playbook - See HRC

In both cases, all they had to do was throw a decent Republican candidate for Senate and this would have been avoided; a decent Democratic candidate would have destroyed Trump.

See both parties, both are idiots.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 10:59 PM)

To me it's bigger. Yes, margin's are same. But New England in general has voted for Republicans more often than a place like Alabama since Heflin gave way. I mean, Romney, Scott Brown, Charlie Baker. There have been many recent examples of Republicans holding high office in Massachussetts.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)
Please excuse my ignorance, but when does Jones take office?

He has the right to be seated as soon as the results are certified. However, it will likely take until Christmas to count all the ballots and certify the result, and the GOP is going to try and slow that process down. He'll likely join the Senate at the beginning of January.

This new DNC is on fire. I love it. Such a Perez/Ellison tag team fanboy right now. Their GOTV, voter outreach and campaign plans have been paying huge dividends so far. Dems are +15 nationwide in a generic ballot in a new poll today as well. This could be tsunami if Trump remains in office and keeps acting Trumpy.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 02:38 PM)
This new DNC is on fire. I love it. Such a Perez/Ellison tag team fanboy right now. Their GOTV, voter outreach and campaign plans have been paying huge dividends so far. Dems are +15 nationwide in a generic ballot in a new poll today as well. This could be tsunami if Trump remains in office and keeps acting Trumpy.

Trump has a 47% approval rating in Alabama and he is 0-2 in elections there. You have to figure his approval rating in that state can't be higher anywhere else. He is poison to a campaign. The longer he's around, IMO, the better it will be for dems elections moving forward. I have the feeling once these tax cuts occur though, he is going to start to get hit from the right. If Trump leaving in disgrace is the consolation prize, it's still OK for most, but some of the collateral damage will not be able to be fixed. People are going to die because of him. People are going to lose a lot because of him, and sadly many of those people are people who believed his BS and voted for him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 03:44 PM)
Trump has a 47% approval rating in Alabama and he is 0-2 in elections there. You have to figure his approval rating in that state can't be higher anywhere else. He is poison to a campaign. The longer he's around, IMO, the better it will be for dems elections moving forward. I have the feeling once these tax cuts occur though, he is going to start to get hit from the right. If Trump leaving in disgrace is the consolation prize, it's still OK for most, but some of the collateral damage will not be able to be fixed. People are going to die because of him. People are going to lose a lot because of him, and sadly many of those people are people who believed his BS and voted for him.

You're right on all counts. I actually think there are discussions going on in GOP circles right now about removing Trump sooner rather than later, but after tax reform goes through. He's a liability and will cost the party bigly in 2018. I won't reveal the source, but I asked a high-ranking member of the Trump administration whether or not there is concern behind the scenes that, due to his lack of political ideology, President Trump might work with a Democrat-controlled Congress to pass Democratic legislation, should they take back the House and/or Senate in 2018. He didn't hesitate in saying "yes".

Jones is expected to be seated anytime between Dec 26 and Jan 3.

The Republicans are expected to pass the tax bill sometime in the middle of next week.

Corker and Collins are the main GOP obstructionists right now, but those two alone can’t stop it.

8 numbers out of Alabama that should terrify Republicans

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/13/politics/ala...ysis/index.html

Edited by caulfield12