2017 Democratic Thread

bmags

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 07:18 PM)
RIP net neutrality, enjoy paying a whole lot more for worse, tiered broadband service that favors integrated telecoms

At this point I'm like f*** it. f***ing do it. There's nothing we can do to stop it, so just do it and invite the wrath of 300 million people upon the Republican party. It's already going to be a blue tsunami, why not make it a category 5 hurricane to boot?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 09:35 PM)
At this point I'm like f*** it. f***ing do it. There's nothing we can do to stop it, so just do it and invite the wrath of 300 million people upon the Republican party. It's already going to be a blue tsunami, why not make it a category 5 hurricane to boot?

So...when we are paying a fee just to access Soxtalk.com next year, do people really know enough policy to connect that to "Net Neutrality"? I'd imagine less than 50% of people out there actually know that well enough to make the connection.

What will happen I guess is that most people will just see their cable rates going up as another way that Comcast has found to screw people, and so when a politician comes along telling them wink wink how they are getting screwed because of all the free things going to blah peoples, they'll scream and yell how they're right.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
So...when we are paying a fee just to access Soxtalk.com next year, do people really know enough policy to connect that to "Net Neutrality"? I'd imagine less than 50% of people out there actually know that well enough to make the connection.

What will happen I guess is that most people will just see their cable rates going up as another way that Comcast has found to screw people, and so when a politician comes along telling them wink wink how they are getting screwed because of all the free things going to blah peoples, they'll scream and yell how they're right.

Of course. People aren't that stupid. If they're paying money for something they weren't before, they'll blame the people in power. And you can bet your ass the Dems will make that a central part of their messaging.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
Gonna do what I can for iron stache.

Cruz is a long shot, but he's not very well liked even in Texas. Last time around, he got 40% of the Hispanic how. That probably wouldn't hold up if he's running against a Hispanic Democrat.

Cruz is very beatable in this environment.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
Of course. People aren't that stupid. If they're paying money for something they weren't before, they'll blame the people in power. And you can bet your ass the Dems will make that a central part of their messaging.

On the other hand, it's really hard to change things back once they change. It would be much better to fight this back now so you have the legislative bandwidth to tackle bigger problems like climate change.

I mean, yes, if the entire country collapsed that would look super bad for republicans but then the dems in office are in charge of rubble.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)

And in 2016 they blamed the blah peoples. That was the thing that got them to the polls - the blah peoples were taking advantage of the free healthcare and free welfare and free obamaphones that the deserving people couldn't take advantage of. That was the overwhelming set of responses to poll questions - people were motivated by all the free stuff they imagine the blah people's get.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 11:44 AM)
On the other hand, it's really hard to change things back once they change. It would be much better to fight this back now so you have the legislative bandwidth to tackle bigger problems like climate change.

I mean, yes, if the entire country collapsed that would look super bad for republicans but then the dems in office are in charge of rubble.

I feel there's very little we - the average person - can do on this one. The FCC aren't a politically motivated body in the sense that their jobs aren't on the line because of public opinion.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)
And in 2016 they blamed the blah peoples. That was the thing that got them to the polls - the blah peoples were taking advantage of the free healthcare and free welfare and free obamaphones that the deserving people couldn't take advantage of. That was the overwhelming set of responses to poll questions - people were motivated by all the free stuff they imagine the blah people's get.

I honestly don't know what you're saying.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 02:08 PM)
I honestly don't know what you're saying.

Whatever we think they're going to blame the Republicans for destroying something useful, the voters will assume "those people" (euphemism) are really the problem since they're getting the good, free versions reserved for those minorities.

If I was a Republican senator's main backer I would be pretty pissed if they were the ones just saying they'll pass anything vs the ones acting like they will vote no (lol they won't) and getting sweet sweet concessions to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)
Whatever we think they're going to blame the Republicans for destroying something useful, the voters will assume "those people" (euphemism) are really the problem since they're getting the good, free versions reserved for those minorities.

Well, the Dems shouldn’t have done messaging so badly that Obama and Clinton were seen to be more in bed with Wall Street than the Republicans.

The Trans Pacific Trade stuff just furthered the message Dems had capitulated and sold out labor interests to corporate America.

You can’t remove the demoralizing split in the party which suppressed voter turnout, especially when all the stuff about Wasserman Schulz and Brazile came out.

If African Americans really liked Hillary like they used to like her husband, the election wouldn’t have been close. That blah people’s stuff will get you a significant number of votes (let’s say, up to 20-25%), but even then it wasn’t enough to win the election for Moore when you throw in other mitigating factors. And there are just as many Republicans who vote that way over social issues like abortion/birth control and strong military/gun rights.

he wanted to say "I don't want to make black people's lives better" and realized how awful and terrible it sounded mid sentence so he slurred it and then started using the excuse that he meant to say "Blah people".

Good shorthand for any time you want to sarcastically deal with a Republican and matters of race.

This Alabama election result really has some at SoxTalk so shook up, they've disappeared temporarily.

That must be the same thought going through the head of every single Republican who doesn't want to face election defeat next November. Early retirement, like Paul Ryan.

Of course, Ryan wants to take a run at wiping out "entitlement" programs like Medicaid and Medicare and Social Security first. Ooops...I misspoke, Social Security isn't actually an entitlement since every American pays their fair share into it, only to have it raided, so later Congresses can invariably talk about putting "ironclad lockboxes" around those funds that wouldn't have to be protected in the first place had the government been responsible with tax cuts and wars and having to fix all the problems that 2001-2008 created for Obama to deal with.

That lockbox has been out there in the political lexicon since the 1980's, and we're still facing 15-25% SS cuts for those who will be retiring around the year 2030.

If not NEXT year...if the Republican Party wants to totally destroy itself. They're not even dumb enough to do that. They will have to make it seem like the cutbacks are only to "blah/poor" people, not "hard working" middle class ones.

They're already starting to bite into retirements of middle class folks with that tax bill.

And if there's ANYONE in America who reliably votes, it's that group over 60 whenever you take anything away from them.

Edited by caulfield12