Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
Can we just merge the 2 Quintana threads together to make one giant thread in order to pass the Cespedes thread in length? :) This thread is ending up the exact same way as the one that was closed a few days ago.

I'm also not a big fan of catch all threads, but in cases like these I think exceptions can be made since it's catching all of one very narrow subject. Unless we're planning on having separate threads for Q rumors for Astros, Pirates, Braves etc. then it made little sense to shut down the other thread when it's essentially the same exact thing as this thread.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)
I don't get it either man. Unless there's a plan to trade Moncada, his offensive value in relation to his position is irrelevant since he's staying with the Sox long term. Where he plays is not as important as how well he plays the position.

I don't honestly care which position they put him at, I believe he's athletic enough to play both. However, if you want to get me annoyed and complaining, the way to do that is to change course midway. All that matters to me is the team picks the best position they think will work for him defensively and physically, puts him there, and starts coaching him there. No creative moving him around, no brilliant ideas about him being a super utility guy, no comparisons to Baez, just put him at a position and find someone to tell him how to put his feet and read balls off the bat.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 11:06 AM)
I don't honestly care which position they put him at, I believe he's athletic enough to play both. However, if you want to get me annoyed and complaining, the way to do that is to change course midway. All that matters to me is the team picks the best position they think will work for him defensively and physically, puts him there, and starts coaching him there. No creative moving him around, no brilliant ideas about him being a super utility guy, no comparisons to Baez, just put him at a position and find someone to tell him how to put his feet and read balls off the bat.

i think this depnds on his mental makeup. some players can handle, others can't. No one should assume he can.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 11:06 AM)

This post needs all the stars.

And honestly, it's part of the problem with getting something done with Atlanta. If you get something done with Albies as the position player headliner, then you almost have to move Moncada off of 2B right away. Albies doesn't seem to be that far away since he hit AAA last year, and Anderson is locked in at SS for the foreseeable future. It doesn't make sense to drill Moncada at 2B to then effectively block Albies - the prize of the Q trade...

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)

And honestly, it's part of the problem with getting something done with Atlanta. If you get something done with Albies as the position player headliner, then you almost have to move Moncada off of 2B right away. Albies doesn't seem to be that far away since he hit AAA last year, and Anderson is locked in at SS for the foreseeable future. It doesn't make sense to drill Moncada at 2B to then effectively block Albies - the prize of the Q trade...

There's no issues with Moncada having to switch positions, guys. I agree to not switch him and have him play different spots over the course of the season but there is no issue with him working in the off-season to play another position if they decide after a 2 full years or so, he can't handle it. If a team's best prospect was also a 2B or SS and they were being offered in a deal, I wouldn't say no just because we have a guy here who can already play that position. That is stupid.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)

Anyone know the defensive abilities of Albies vs Anderson? Could be plausible to have Albies at SS, Moncada at 2B and Anderson in CF. Anderson looked very good at SS, don't get me wrong. But just a thought.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 01:14 PM)
i think this depnds on his mental makeup. some players can handle, others can't. No one should assume he can.

I'm not even concerned with his mental makeup here. Based on what we've seen from Cubans AND what we've heard about him, he's extremely raw defensively - defensive fundamental coaching in Cuba seems to be genuinely poor. Abreu didn't know basic footwork for 1b that people in this country learn in high school and it took Ventura until he almost got himself run over at 1b during a game to realize it.

They said they're putting Moncada at 2b. Do that in Spring Training, or if you're changing that change that before day 1 of ST. He takes all the drills at 2b, works with the infielders, gets all the practice there they can possibly give him. Hire him an extra coach if needbe. Put an ankle bracelet on Chris Getz that electroshocks him if he moves more than 10 meters away from Moncada, I don't care. Make him a solid defender at one position, turn him into a big leaguer, and do not screw around with him.

If in 3 years he's an all star 2b hitting 49 HR in his second year and their CF gets hurt or they decide to play around with him out there in Spring Training, I won't mind then if they move him around. Make him a big leaguer first.

QUOTE (pablo @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 11:20 AM)
Anyone know the defensive abilities of Albies vs Anderson? Could be plausible to have Albies at SS, Moncada at 2B and Anderson in CF. Anderson looked very good at SS, don't get me wrong. But just a thought.

And it's always possible that Anderson or Moncada turns into a dud over the next couple seasons. It doesn't hurt to have many guys who can cover the same position. Another point to my post above haha

Edited by soxfan2014

Albies has a 60 arm, is there any reason to believe he couldn't play 3rd? CF? Having too many super athletic infielders that can hit seems like a real problem. But also, we can't get any DH/1b types for pitchers of Quintanas worth. Oh, but if we get an outfielder they must already have developed power and be patient hitters, and plus fielders. And no pitchers, we have too many. But we all agree that defensive catchers with no hit tools MUST be included.

Seems like we should find a trade that satisfies all any minute now.

Ultimately, you would like him to stay in one spot, but the White Sox do have a guy who can speak from experience about how moving can mess you up. KW came up a CF and was pretty good initially. Looked like he would be a really good player. They moved him to 3B, and suddenly he wasn't much of a player anymore.

I do think since Moncada is an infielder, any switch if there is one won't be as dramatic as CF to 3B.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 11:16 AM)
There's no issues with Moncada having to switch positions, guys. I agree to not switch him and have him play different spots over the course of the season but there is no issue with him working in the off-season to play another position if they decide after a 2 full years or so, he can't handle it. If a team's best prospect was also a 2B or SS and they were being offered in a deal, I wouldn't say no just because we have a guy here who can already play that position. That is stupid.

Sox have needs all over the place and should be looking to acquire the best prospects regardless of position in a potential Quintana trade

Good players have a tendency of forcing their way into a lineup somehow

While we all would like to see position player talent added, you never can have too much pitching either. Pitching can carry you to the world series with an average offense

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 11:22 AM)
Albies has a 60 arm, is there any reason to believe he couldn't play 3rd? CF? Having too many super athletic infielders that can hit seems like a real problem. But also, we can't get any DH/1b types for pitchers of Quintanas worth. Oh, but if we get an outfielder they must already have developed power and be patient hitters, and plus fielders. And no pitchers, we have too many. But we all agree that defensive catchers with no hit tools MUST be included.

Seems like we should find a trade that satisfies all any minute now.

I think Balta hit the point on Moncada perfectly above. Given that he's really raw defensively, the Sox need to focus on teaching him a single position defensively. Maybe that's 3B, maybe that's 2B, maybe that's CF, but it needs to start in ST this year.

I'm actually very ok with Albies as a headliner if it happens today. If Albies is the headliner, I hope the Sox start working Moncada at 3B this Spring Training. That way there's a clear path for Moncada, Albies and Anderson to all feature in the Sox IF in 2018.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 01:27 PM)
I think Balta hit the point on Moncada perfectly above. Given that he's really raw defensively, the Sox need to focus on teaching him a single position defensively. Maybe that's 3B, maybe that's 2B, maybe that's CF, but it needs to start in ST this year.

I'm actually very ok with Albies as a headliner if it happens today. If Albies is the headliner, I hope the Sox start working Moncada at 3B this Spring Training. That way there's a clear path for Moncada, Albies and Anderson to all feature in the Sox IF in 2018.

I would have no complaints generally with that either. I would complain if one day Moncada is at 3b and the next day he's at 2b. That is the one thing we should never see.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)

I disagree. I think you play Albies at SS in the minor leagues if you acquire him. There's no reason to move him from there until you have to.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 01:30 PM)
I disagree. I think you play Albies at SS in the minor leagues if you acquire him. There's no reason to move him from there until you have to.

If Albies profiles as a good SS, I didn't see any reason why Anderson couldn't be moved also.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 11:29 AM)
I would have no complaints generally with that either. I would complain if one day Moncada is at 3b and the next day he's at 2b. That is the one thing we should never see.

So you don't like the way Joe Maddon manages. He has several moving parts. Not just Baez and Zobrist. The NL MVP played 5 positions in the field.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
So you don't like the way Joe Maddon manages. He has several moving parts. Not just Baez and Zobrist. The NL MVP played 5 positions in the field.

Some players you can do that with. Yoan Moncada should not be one of them. I just said I'd have no issue moving Anderson. Moncada - no. At least not right now. The background and makeup and priorities are just different. We need him to be an all star at 1 position and that right now to me is the #1 priority of this entire organization. Fail at that and it sets us back 2-3 seasons. If his feet are in the wrong place and he gets himself spiked at 2b it's an organizational nightmare. Turn him into an all star first, get him able to play one position well, and then I won't care if in his 3rd season he's moved to CF for some games, as I just said.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)

That wasn't my point though. I'm not worried about Albies being able to play either 2B or SS. His bat probably doesn't play at 3B, and he has no OF experience at any level that I'm aware of. This comes down to picking a position for Moncada and putting in the effort to make him a capable defender at that position.

My point is Albies is awesome and we really need to stop worrying about "Where do they play" when we are talkign about super athletic middle infielders with good bats, if we had acquired 4 corner outfielders with a projection of 1b, then I'd be a bit more worried, but even then not that worried.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
I actually really doubt this. Too much going on over too long of a period. It's going to be one of the Pirates, Braves, Astros or Yankees. Other than that, Dodgers, Rangers and Rockies are the outsiders. Can't really make an argument for the other 22 teams.

http://dawindycity.com/2017/01/12/chicago-...x-three-trades/

What do you guys think about these proposals?

Sox Asking price for Quintana is currently "3 Elite Prospects" =

Yankees: Frazier (OF), Torres (SS), and Judge (OF)

Pirates: Glasnow (RHP), Meadows (OF), and Diaz ©

Astros: Reed (1B), Martes (RHP), and Tucker (OF)

Rockies: Rodgers (SS/2B), Jeff Hoffman (RHP), and Tapia (OF)

Todd Frazier

Athletics: Holmes (RHP) and Chapman (3B)

Braves: Sean Newcomb (LHP) and Kolby Allard (LHP)

I don't see either of these deals as being realistic for one season of Frazier

Abreu to the Rockies

Rockies: Riley Pint (RHP) and Tom Murphy ©

I don't love that deal for the White Sox.

Thoughts?