Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 01:28 PM)
Too bad they don't have it in a better format than that awful slideshow garbage.

I know right?! The content is pretty well done for the most part...except when I read about Josh Bell's "elite" defense at first base. He fell all the way to #85, likely due to his subpar defense.

A few big risers and a few big fallers as well

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 01:32 PM)
Meadows, Keller and Newman.

Lets get it done!

According to the fansided article, the Sox did extremely well in the Sale and Eaton deals

#1 Moncada and #22 Kopech + Basabe and Diaz is a great haul

#10 Lopez and #12 Giolito + Dunning is also great

Sox likely aren't backing off a Meadows + Glasnow or Keller headlined package

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 01:16 PM)
I know we are all dying for a tweet or new rumor

But to tide us over take a look at Fansided's toip 125 2017 mlb prospects...

http://calltothepen.com/?s=top+125+prospects

They really like the White Sox, with Moncada, Lopez, Giolito, Kopech, Collins, Burdi, Hansen and Fulmer all in the top 125

Interesting that they have Lopez all the wau up at 10. Giolito #13. Kopech in the early 20s. Collins #60. Burdi in the 70s.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 01:35 PM)
According to the fansided article, the Sox did extremely well in the Sale and Eaton deals

#1 Moncada and #22 Kopech + Basabe and Diaz is a great haul

#10 Lopez and #12 Giolito + Dunning is also great

Sox likely aren't backing off a Meadows + Glasnow or Keller headlined package

According to this, that is 3 top 25 names.

Also a bunch of the Braves guys that have been discussed that weren't top 100 guys are now.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 01:28 PM)
Too bad they don't have it in a better format than that awful slideshow garbage.

When I stumble across sites like that I hit the back button immediately. Not playing advert click games to boost the sites revenue stream.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
According to this, that is 3 top 25 names.

Also a bunch of the Braves guys that have been discussed that weren't top 100 guys are now.

Braves system definitely gets a boost

I think Newcomb should have slipped a bit further down due to control issues, maybe #50-60 range

Acuna is way up, but I'm not willing to call him a top #50 prospect so soon. He's young for his level, but I'd put him in the 50-100 range until midseason 2017

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
http://sportsmockery.com/2017/01/mlb-insid...uintana-trades/

Breakdown of suggested deals

Astros = Martes + Tucker + Paulino

Pirates = Bell + Keller + Newman/Tucker

Yankees = Mateo + Judge + Rutherford + Tate

Rockies = Dahl + Rodgers

Thoughts guys? I know sports mockery is usually trash, but this is from a former GM

Astros - No thanks, too many injury questions around Paulino.

Pirates - thats workable but would need another projectable arm like Hearn

Yankees - Not even close - Judge is going to be a bad MLB player, Mateo and Tate both took big steps back, and Rutherford has no AB's outside of rookie ball

Rockies - Really good start, but need a little more quantity to mitigate the bust likelihood for Rogers, throw in a couple low level lottery ticket arms

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 01:46 PM)
Braves system definitely gets a boost

I think Newcomb should have slipped a bit further down due to control issues, maybe #50-60 range

Acuna is way up, but I'm not willing to call him a top #50 prospect so soon. He's young for his level, but I'd put him in the 50-100 range until midseason 2017

Albies, Newcomb, Acuna would be a very enticing package to start with.

Someone brought up Demeritte earlier and I would definitely have interest in him. He K's at a such a crazy rate though. I think it was north of 30% or something. But a package of Newcomb, Acuna, Fried/Gohara, Demeritte would be interesting depending on what you believe Acuna's future is. No "headliner" in the deal, but Acuna is rocketing up prospect charts.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
Astros - No thanks, too many injury questions around Paulino.

Pirates - thats workable but would need another projectable arm like Hearn

Yankees - Not even close - Judge is going to be a bad MLB player, Mateo and Tate both took big steps back, and Rutherford has no AB's outside of rookie ball

Rockies - Really good start, but need a little more quantity to mitigate the bust likelihood for Rogers, throw in a couple low level lottery ticket arms

To move on Quintana, the Sox are looking for 2 top thirty prospect caliber players, plus 1 - 2 additional good prospects (Top 150)

Astros Deal = Martes and Tucker have to be in the deal, beyond that I don't love their system as Paulino/Fisher have valid concerns, Whitley is very far from the majors, as is Perez. Reed looked terrible during his 2016 48 game call up.

Yankees deal = Yankees' prospects are regularly overrated. Frazier has slipped out of the top 30, Torres into the top 10. Mateo and Judge's stock are down. Rutherford is at least 3 years from the majors.

Rockies deal = An extremely good start, but we have not heard any rumors of the Rockies being willing to move top prospects

Pirates deal = Bell is a DH in my opinion, with a solid bat, but his defense is not good. Pittsburgh likely wants to keep Bell.

QUOTE (pablo @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 02:21 PM)

Someone brought up Demeritte earlier and I would definitely have interest in him. He K's at a such a crazy rate though. I think it was north of 30% or something. But a package of Newcomb, Acuna, Fried/Gohara, Demeritte would be interesting depending on what you believe Acuna's future is. No "headliner" in the deal, but Acuna is rocketing up prospect charts.

Newcomb/Acuna isn't headlining a Quintana deal

Newcomb's control is a big question mark. I like hi mas a prospect, but as a second piece. Acuna is very far from the majors, too risky to headline or be more than a third piece

Albies would undoubtedly have to be in the deal

Demeritte strikes out way too much for me. Posting a 33% K rate in high A ball is beyond alarming. AA and AAA pitching will eat him alive unless he gets the strikeouts under control.

QUOTE (pablo @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 02:21 PM)

I retract my last proposal. Drinking the Acuna kool-aid a bit too much right now. Albies would need to be in a Braves deal.

Demeritte K's a lot but has a good walk rate. I think the bigger question will be his "off the field" issues, and that's a thing where I'm working at such an info disadvantage it's hard to care about in speculation.

QUOTE (pablo @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 02:28 PM)
I retract my last proposal. Drinking the Acuna kool-aid a bit too much right now. Albies would need to be in a Braves deal.

Haha no worries

Eventually all this speculation starts to warp our brains as we lose sense of value

Dig into a prospect long enough and eveybody sucks haha

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
http://sportsmockery.com/2017/01/mlb-insid...uintana-trades/

Breakdown of suggested deals

Astros = Martes + Tucker + Paulino

Pirates = Bell + Keller + Newman/Tucker

Yankees = Mateo + Judge + Rutherford + Tate

Rockies = Dahl + Rodgers

Thoughts guys? I know sports mockery is usually trash, but this is from a former GM

Astros - need more; switch out Paulino

Pirates - add on back end

Yankees- not sure; nix to Judge

Rockies - Absolutely Yes

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 02:30 PM)
Demeritte K's a lot but has a good walk rate. I think the bigger question will be his "off the field" issues, and that's a thing where I'm working at such an info disadvantage it's hard to care about in speculation.

Bmags, the issue I see is that high walk rate is likely to decrease facing AA / AAA pitchers with better control

the K% rate is likely to increase

33% against A ball pitching does not bode well in the higher levels. Can he improve? Maybe, but the red flags exist

Red flags exist for a lot of prospects. A 30% k rate is concerning, but much more concerning without walks. Kris Bryant k'd 30% of the time in AAA. He isn't just a good hitter he's an MVP.

Demeritte has a 13% walk rate. High walk/High power, good d, high k is still a major leaguer. It's not enough to completely write him off as a 3rd piece in a deal.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 02:39 PM)
Astros - need more; switch out Paulino

Pirates - add on back end

Yankees- not sure; nix to Judge

Rockies - Absolutely Yes

I'd rather have AJ Reed and Franklin Perez than Paulino

AJ Reed is expendable for the Astros, as he will likely not crack the major league roster unless injuries occur

Perez is a ways from the majors, but pitching in A ball at age 18 is impressive

Tucker/Martes/Reed/Perez = Deal

Pirates = Glasnow or Meadows must be in the deal + Keller + Newman + lower level prospect (Ideally Diaz)

Pirates offer sounds like asking alot, but adding Quintana and taking nothing off the major league roster would be a great move for them

Yankees = they are out in my opinion. They tried to float Judge/Mateo as headlienrs and the Sox said no way

Rockies = Dahl + Rodgers + one lower level flyer would be terrific. Doubtful they do this though

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)
Red flags exist for a lot of prospects. A 30% k rate is concerning, but much more concerning without walks. Kris Bryant k'd 30% of the time in AAA. He isn't just a good hitter he's an MVP.

Demeritte has a 13% walk rate. High walk/High power, good d, high k is still a major leaguer. It's not enough to completely write him off as a 3rd piece in a deal.

I'll give you that

Demeritte looked solid in the AFL, and could be worth a look as a third piece. Certainly too risky for a 1st or 2nd piece though in my opinion

Kris Bryant did not have a 40 hit tool though like Demeritte

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)

It sounds alot like a Javy Baez comp. I'd rather see Acuna as a 3rd piece but...

Albies, Newcomb, Demeritte, Gohara/Fried? There's just a lot to choose from in the Braves system, it's crazy. Dustin Peterson is a guy that raked in AA this year and can't crack their top 10. Would probably between 7-10 for the Sox.

QUOTE (pablo @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 03:06 PM)
It sounds alot like a Javy Baez comp. I'd rather see Acuna as a 3rd piece but...

Albies, Newcomb, Demeritte, Gohara/Fried? There's just a lot to choose from in the Braves system, it's crazy. Dustin Peterson is a guy that raked in AA this year and can't crack their top 10. Would probably between 7-10 for the Sox.

Braves are not giving us Albies + Newcomb + Demeritte + Gohara/Fried

That is three top 75 prospects (according to fansided) plus Demeritte

I can't see Atlanta punting so much of its future like that, even for Quintana

QUOTE (GermanSoxFan @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
The Rangers had no qualms about trading Demeritte for Lucas freaking Harrell. He isn't good enough to be a substantial piece for Q. Maybe in as a throw in like Diaz in the Sale trade.

Likely due to Demeritte's 30-40 grade hit tool and long swing

If he adjusts the rest of the tools exist for him to be a starter. It's arguably toughest for a guy to make a 30-40 grade hit tool play upto average than any other tool.

His arm strength is good and he could potentially play third base in the future, but he's seen as a very risky prospect that might never make it out of AA ball

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospect...hp?reportid=365

This scout is not convinced he sees Demeritte ever being able to hit .240 in the majors

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 03:26 PM)
Likely due to Demeritte's 30-40 grade hit tool and long swing

If he adjusts the rest of the tools exist for him to be a starter. It's arguably toughest for a guy to make a 30-40 grade hit tool play upto average than any other tool.

His arm strength is good and he could potentially play third base in the future, but he's seen as a very risky prospect that might never make it out of AA ball

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospect...hp?reportid=365

This scout is not convinced he sees Demeritte ever being able to hit .240 in the majors

So other than the fact he is hopeless at hitting a baseball sounds like a major leaguer...wait what

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)
So other than the fact he is hopeless at hitting a baseball sounds like a major leaguer...wait what

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospect...ort=d&dir=d

These are excellent eyewitness scouting reports (free) on various players

Alec Hansen came up with a 55 Future grade, although it's early to tell.

Guys I really like are: Franklin Perez with a 55 and a 70 future grade. I expect him to shoot up prospect lists this season.

Edited by steveno89