Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 07:08 PM)
I think we'll critique the trade first and then say "now what?"

Top quotes after trade:

#1 (by far): "...one player light"

#2: "should have eaten some salary to get another prospect"

#3: "Boom! RH strikes again"

#4: "Should have traded him this past summer when Bregman was in play"

#5: "Should have traded him next summer when Bregman would have been in play"

White Sox win 100 games in 2020 and march to World Series.

Frankly I don't even know who we could be up against then. Atlanta? Philadelphia?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
Pretty sure the Sox are looking for at least three players in a trade. Although if Bridich calls up Hahn and offers "Rodgers + Dahl for Quintana" I would pack Q's bag and drive him to the airport

Rockies fans would be pretty furious. No mlb team could be a Dahl/Rodgers offer unless teams opened up the whole farm for the sox

It's actually light on the Rockies side. I'd take a lotto ticket or two. Dahl is likely ranked around 20th had he qualified, Rodgers is 10th. Considering Sale got us a top 5 and 22nd prospect and two more guys, and even then some think we could've gotten more, only Dahl and Rodgers for Q is a bit light.

There's also a certain team that traded Swanson, Inciarte and another top 50 guy for Shelby Miller, who is less valuable than Q. Not saying that's the blue print, but just to give an idea of Q's value here.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 10:15 PM)
There's also a certain team that traded Swanson, Inciarte and another top 50 guy for Shelby Miller, who is less valuable than Q. Not saying that's the blue print, but just to give an idea of Q's value here.

If only the DBags had gone crazy one year later than they did

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 09:06 PM)
IMO, Hahn gets his man, Austin Meadows, or Hahn walks and Q is our Ace until July when the "market" for a top of the rotation pitcher by contending clubs will present a better environment for a trade.

But Quintana's value will be lower then - haven't you read the 1,800 posts proclaiming so?

QUOTE (ChiSox1917 @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 12:37 AM)
I really don't get why the Cubs aren't a more talked about trade partner. Happ, Jimenez, Candelario, + low level guy just makes too much sense as a match for Q since they're all blocked in the near future.

Because you're not factoring in the Cubs tax that makes a deal with them not feasible.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 02:17 AM)
Q to Cubs is what I want as well. Jimenez, Happ, Cease, Candelario, and Chesny Young for Q, Robertson and $8 M. I think this is a great trade for both sides, it's a shame because there seems to be a stigma for trading with the Cubs these days.

Replace young with Caratini and i could get there..all the switch hitters.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 03:17 AM)
Q to Cubs is what I want as well. Jimenez, Happ, Cease, Candelario, and Chesny Young for Q, Robertson and $8 M. I think this is a great trade for both sides,it's a shame because there seems to be a stigma for trading with the Cubs these days.

As if we're going to compete with the Cubs in the next 3 years. Who cares about some stupid stigma.

QUOTE (ChiSox1917 @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 03:12 AM)
As if we're going to compete with the Cubs in the next 3 years. Who cares about some stupid stigma.

The White Sox are constantly in competition with the Cubs for revenue in their shared market. That is why if they want Q, the price will be steeper for them than any other team, save maybe the AL Central teams.

The Cubs don't desperately need Q for another year...it's also much easier for them to trade for someone like Duffy as a two-month rental in July and then extend him later if they think he's worth the FA money.

The only bad contract they'll have on the books is Heyward and potentially Lester in time.

QUOTE (ChiSox1917 @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 03:12 AM)

It's widely believed that Reinsdorf doesn't want to trade with the Cubs. That's why you haven't heard Cubs involved in the Sales or Q trade talks.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 02:15 AM)
Because you're not factoring in the Cubs tax that makes a deal with them not feasible.

This may have already been explained, but can you or someone explain this to me? How much cash would the Sox have to throw in to offset, say, Robertson's contract if it were Quintana? Or if it's just Quintana? What kind of dollars are we talking about here?

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
This may have already been explained, but can you or someone explain this to me? How much cash would the Sox have to throw in to offset, say, Robertson's contract if it were Quintana? Or if it's just Quintana? What kind of dollars are we talking about here?

Cubs tax = lost Sox revenue from the fact that their inter-city rival and defending World Champs get better with Quintana.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
Cubs tax = lost Sox revenue from the fact that their inter-city rival and defending World Champs get better with Quintana.

Very good way of putting it. They would pay the tax in the amount and quality of players given up to attain Quintana.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 11:51 AM)
The Cubs are a bad fit.

Do they need a starter? Yes. Would Quintana make them better? Of course.

Does it make sense for the reigning WS champions and easy WS favorites to give up several elite prospects to upgrade their 5th starter? No, it does not.

Arietta is in the last year of his contract, Lackey is 36, Lester is not young. You could make a case that Quintana is a fit for the Cubs.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
Arietta is in the last year of his contract, Lackey is 36, Lester is not young. You could make a case that Quintana is a fit for the Cubs.

Lackey is 38 and nearing the end of his career

Arrieta is likely gone in free agency

Cubs will need to address at least two starters via trade or free agency. I doubt a high profile trade goes down for Quintana.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 10:47 PM)
I still think the Astros eventually bite. Martes, Tucker, Reed, & Perez would be a nice haul IMO.

That is the package I have been touting for awhile as making sense for each team. Astros get to keep Musgrove and only move prospects

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)
That is the package I have been touting for awhile as making sense for each team. Astros get to keep Musgrove and only move prospects

If you believe Reed is a legit bounce-back candidate, this trade sets up our lineup nicely.

1B: Reed

2B: Moncada

SS: Anderson

3B: Donaldson (more realistic than Machado)

LF: Fisher/Call

CF: Basabe/Call

RF: Tucker

DH: Abreu

C: Collins

Even with the addition of a guy like Donaldson, we'd still have plenty of money to work with to plug other holes, most likely in the OF or at DH.

And we'd add two more promising young starters to an organization that already includes Rodon, Giolito, Lopez, Fulmer, Kopech, Adams, Stephens, Hansen, & Dunning. Throw in Burdi and that's a f***ton of pitching talent.