President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 03:08 PM)
Trump was giving a speech honoring Navajo Code Talkers.

He gave the speech in front of a portrait of... Andrew Jackson. He of the Indian Removal Act.

Then he made a joke about Warren and Pocahantas.

There has been no President in the last century who can even come close to touching the sheer stupidity and crassness of this guy. He can't be gone soon enough.

The Onion: "YOU SON OF A b****."

Funny thing is, I believe there is actually a room in the White House called the Indian Treaty room, or something like that. Which I suppose could be seen positively or negatively in this usage, but it's a far cry better than in front of the guy who wanted to exterminate their people.

I agree that whomever decided to put the podium in front of that photo (regardless of what room it was in) was either trolling (and should be fired for that), or just grossly incompetent (probably should be fired for that too).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 02:47 PM)
Funny thing is, I believe there is actually a room in the White House called the Indian Treaty room, or something like that. Which I suppose could be seen positively or negatively in this usage, but it's a far cry better than in front of the guy who wanted to exterminate their people.

I agree that whomever decided to put the podium in front of that photo (regardless of what room it was in) was either trolling (and should be fired for that), or just grossly incompetent (probably should be fired for that too).

I'm going to assume that the Trump WH just simply doesn't care about things like that, and for evidence, I'm going to point to the President using a slur about Indian heritage targeted towards a sitting Senator in the middle of this same ceremony.

and also the White House Press Secretary saying that it's actually Warren who is being offensive in this case, not the President for using racial slurs.

Donald Trump’s long history of clashes with Native Americans

Donald Trump claimed that Indian reservations had fallen under mob control. He secretly paid for more than $1 million in ads that portrayed members of a tribe in Upstate New York as cocaine traffickers and career criminals. And he suggested in testimony and in media appearances that dark-skinned Native Americans in Connecticut were faking their ancestry.

“I think I might have more Indian blood than a lot of the so-called Indians that are trying to open up the reservations,” Trump said during a 1993 radio interview with shock jock Don Imus.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 02:08 PM)
Trump was giving a speech honoring Navajo Code Talkers.

He gave the speech in front of a portrait of... Andrew Jackson. He of the Indian Removal Act.

Then he made a joke about Warren and Pocahantas.

There has been no President in the last century who can even come close to touching the sheer stupidity and crassness of this guy. He can't be gone soon enough.

This would be a fireable offense to almost anyone else on the planet. Outright racism.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 05:22 PM)
Pocohantas is probably the most know Native American to all US citizens because of a Disney movie. Trump calling Warren Pocohantas whenever her swindling was exposed was totally fair, in no way racist and even had comedic value. Trump's actions today were embarrassing and childish. There's a distinction.

I dont think it was ever appropriate to call Warren "Pocahontas." Call Warren a liar, call her a scammer, call her a swindler, but why in the world is it appropriate to tarnish Pocahontas and Native Americans in the process? The reason it is bad is because it is making Pocahontas and by extension Native Americans, seem like swindlers/liars/cheats, which is a negative Native American stereotype. Not to mention it makes it seem like they are all the same.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 11:22 PM)
Trump definitely f'ed up that meeting and making reference to Warren serves as just another example of him using the presidency in an unfortunate fashion to further his egotistical battles. That being said, it's kind of messed up that no one cared that a woman lied about her background and used a tortured culture to advance her own career and add to her intrigue as a professor/politician/senator. Then this is some huge moral transgression. Poking fun at a lying woman and calling her Pochohantas is now considered racial aggression. There was a time and a place to call out Warren for her lies and deceit and it certainly wasn't today in that meeting.

When was it established that Warren lied?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 05:22 PM)
Trump definitely f'ed up that meeting and making reference to Warren serves as just another example of him using the presidency in an unfortunate fashion to further his egotistical battles. That being said, it's kind of messed up that no one cared that a woman lied about her background and used a tortured culture to advance her own career and add to her intrigue as a professor/politician/senator. Then this is some huge moral transgression. Poking fun at a lying woman and calling her Pochohantas is now considered racial aggression. There was a time and a place to call out Warren for her lies and deceit and it certainly wasn't today in that meeting.

However, let's not confuse a complete lack of decorum and brazen narcissism with racism just to add to the severity of the transgression. Pocohantas is probably the most know Native American to all US citizens because of a Disney movie. Trump calling Warren Pocohantas whenever her swindling was exposed was totally fair, in no way racist and even had comedic value. Trump's actions today were embarrassing and childish. There's a distinction.

I should say, with how often racism is thrown around here, it's amazing we have so many white people pretending to be anything other than white to make themselves more attractive in their career. For you older guys, imagine if someone told you in the 60's in the year 2017 people would dupe others by pretending to be am minority and benefit personally. What a wild world we live in.

This didn't happen, stop believing right wing conspiracies

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 06:03 PM)
Her anecdotal story cant be proven or disproven.

Right, she grew up in Oklahoma and was told by her grandmother growing up that she has some Indian heritage. There's no documentation, but it's something she genuinely believed growing up.

There's also zero indication that she advanced her career in any way based on that belief/claim.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/27/politics...ysis/index.html

The Bully In Chief...

Look. There's no question that Trump's base, when they hear about this kerfuffle, will laugh at the reference and revel in the fact that the so-called "fake news" media made a big deal out of it. That's fine.

But just because you laugh at bullying or cast rank incivility as a rejection of an overbearing political correctness culture doesn't make it -- or you -- right.

There are lots and lots of ways that Trump's candidacy and presidency have changed, are changing and will change not just our politics but also our culture. Perhaps the most damaging is that his obsession with insults and feuds sends a message that name-calling and bullying are just fine as long as you are doing it to "people who deserve it."

That is the sort of genie that is impossible to put back in its bottle even after Trump leaves office. The mainstreaming of incivility and insults will have an impact long after Trump leaves the White House.

It's kind of messed up that no one cared that _________ lied about his/her background and used a/an __________ to advance his/her own career.

What are we on with Trump now, over 2,000 documented examples of outright/blatant lying about different facts and figures since he came down the escalator and started accusing most Mexicans of being racists/gang members/drug dealers? Or is that 2,000+ number just since January 20th, when he was first inaugurated?

That is the sort of genie that is impossible to put back in its bottle even after Trump leaves office. The mainstreaming of incivility and insults will have an impact long after Trump leaves the White House. For example, look at what sports fanbases (Tennessee) can now get away with to prevent a coaching hire...see Greg Schiano/Penn State/Sandusky. Don't need to have any proof at all, just an allegation which has not one single legal/justice system official corroborating it.

Edited by caulfield12

Serious question amid Trump wanting to be Time's person of the year. ... Except for those who have broken the law and gained fame through horrible means, is Donald Trump the most despised person in U.S. history? I said we exclude anybody who has been arrested or infamous for horrible reasons. I think Donald Trump (think of all the tweets and daily rips of him on TV, Twitter, etc) is in the top five of all-time most despised individuals by Americans. Now I don't despise him as such and I'm still hopeful he gets some things done that are positive, but he is truly despised by people in the USA. Is he top five most despised in history??

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 10:02 PM)
This is all your opinion. I don't take Warren's behaviors or Trump calling her Pocahontas and apply that to all Native Americans. I look at all individuals as individuals. You'd have to be pretty silly to judge an entire group of people by one person who is not even among them.

You can call me silly or whatever you want but he is using the phrase as a negative towards her. That implication makes the term Pocahontas look like an insult.

Everything here is opinion. If you dont think Trump is calling her Pocahontas as an insult, thats your opinion. If you think that he is using the phrase glowingly and as praise for Warren, that is also your opinion.

I think most reasonable people would have a similar opinion as me, but its all just opinion. And I think the bottom line is that we shouldnt have a President who is acting in a way that in other people's opinion they are being overtly racist. But that is just my opinion.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/28/politics...unch/index.html

Undisciplined Trump undermines his own tax reform efforts

And it's not even particularly advantageous to Trump from a political standpoint.

What are the odds that Warren can win the Democratic nomination, maybe 10%? How many Native American voters are there now, less than 1%...maybe 8/10th's of 1%?

The president should be a unifier and not a divider, unless it's absolutely necessary for him to take a hard political/policy stance. This is NOT that.

The fact of the matter is that antics like this one are NOT playing well out there in "Independent/Moderate Voter" Land, Mainstream USA.

Picking on minority groups isn't going to make you look stronger. Even religious officials around the world are starting to wonder aloud how Trump can be so thoroughly supported by Christian groups in the US (is it 100% due to abortion/US Supreme Court control)?

Edited by caulfield12

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gop-strategist-s...-082052295.html

GOP strategist Rick Wilson, a frequent Trump critic, said on CNN on Monday night that Sanders knows she’s lying but does it anyway.

“The reason she does that is because her job is contingent upon her being a serial congenital liar in defense of Donald Trump’s latest outrages,” he said. “I mean, she probably has some like tiny, shriveled husk left in her soul where she realizes this is the wrong thing to do. But she does it anyway because otherwise they’ll replace her.”

Wilson was just getting warmed up.

He said Sanders “tries to bury people in an avalanche of horse s*** every day because this is her job.”

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 28, 2017 -> 04:02 AM)
When she was running for senate and all of this came about there were plenty of genealogists and record keepers who did their research. No one, other than the Boston Globe, was able to find evidence of it. They later retracted as it was just a left wing conspiracy. The Cherokee Nation denied that her ancestors were named on the Dawes Roll.

One genealogist even found she had relatives who were on the offensive side of the Trail of Tears: https://legalinsurrection.com/2012/05/cruel...-cherokee-saga/

This doesn't even establish that she's wrong, much less that she lied. Her claim remains unconfirmed.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 28, 2017 -> 07:12 AM)
This doesn't even establish that she's wrong, much less that she lied. Her claim remains unconfirmed.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_pol..._heritage_.html

Inconclusive, at best.

The weakness of the genetic tests poses an even bigger problem when you're looking for Native American ancestors. Native Americans have been reluctant to participate in genetic testing, which means scientists don’t have many reliable markers for that population. In addition, the genetic profiles that have been conducted show that many card-carrying members of certain tribes, such as the Cherokee, have more European ancestors than Native American ancestors. That means even the small number of Native American genetic markers we know of aren’t present in large segments of the population, making it difficult to find evidence of Native American DNA in people like Elizabeth Warren. That's part of the reason that most Native American tribes have resisted using ancestral genetic analyses to determine membership. Tribal membership has more to do with the culture and location of one’s ancestors than precisely how many of their relatives can be traced back to the Bering land bridge.

Just fewer than 2 million people are enrolled in Native American tribes, representing about 0.7 percent of the population. That’s not a reliable estimate of how many people have Native American ancestry, however. Each tribe has its own rules about the “blood quantum” required for membership, and some qualified people have not enrolled in a tribe.

Many famous people have claimed to be among Pocahontas’ descendants through her son Thomas, including members of the First Families of Virginia, First Lady Edith Wilson, American Western actor Glenn Strange, Las Vegas performer Wayne Newton, and astronomer Percival Lowell.[6] wikipedia

Edited by caulfield12

Even under the worst possible light - that Warren used some vague family stories to capitalize on some possible Cherokee ancestry - that in no way excuses Trump's insulting use of that nickname. And bringing it up in response to Trump's continued idiocy is a purely defensive reaction to obscure the point.