President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
The minute people go to do their taxes and realize you cannot itemize anything anymore will be a wake up call for a lot of folks

Yep and people will go to other countries to study graduate programs instead of the US.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
The minute people go to do their taxes and realize you cannot itemize anything anymore will be a wake up call for a lot of folks

I wasn't a taxpayer in the 80s but Reagan did away with the credit card deduction right?

Most people don't itemize and just take the standard deduction because it's more than their itemization would be. They're doubling the standard deduction, which sounds good on its face, but they're also eliminating the personal exemption. That means it generally ends up as a wash for most people, and slightly negative in the longer term.

The bigger impact will be when tax cuts for billionaires are used as an excuse to cut public programs and social safety nets.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)
Most people don't itemize and just take the standard deduction because it's more than their itemization would be. They're doubling the standard deduction, which sounds good on its face, but they're also eliminating the personal exemption. That means it generally ends up as a wash for most people, and slightly negative in the longer term.

The bigger impact will be when tax cuts for billionaires are used as an excuse to cut public programs and social safety nets.

And anyone having more than two kids is getting screwed losing their $4050 deduction per child...really makes a lot of socioeconomic sense to make MORE vulnerable the largest middle and lower class families, after all.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)

If it really is most, people need to start going to accountants. I always itemize and save WAY more money.

For a majority of filers, taking the standard deduction (currently $11k) is better than itemizing because they don't have more than $11k in deductible expenses. Only 30% of households overall itemize. That increases dramatically as you climb the household income scale, though, with something like 95% of households over $200k itemizing. A big tipping point is "has a mortgage" or not because the mortgage interest deduction puts a lot of people over the current standard deduction.

If you're renting and don't have student loans or state taxes, you probably don't really have much to itemize. Most people's taxes can be done on a 1040EZ no problem because they've got W-2 income and not really much else to worry about.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
For a majority of filers, taking the standard deduction (currently $11k) is better than itemizing because they don't have more than $11k in deductible expenses. Only 30% of households overall itemize. That increases dramatically as you climb the household income scale, though, with something like 95% of households over $200k itemizing. A big tipping point is "has a mortgage" or not because the mortgage interest deduction puts a lot of people over the current standard deduction.

If you're renting and don't have student loans or state taxes, you probably don't really have much to itemize. Most people's taxes can be done on a 1040EZ no problem because they've got W-2 income and not really much else to worry about.

That makes sense. I guess i started itemizing when I bought my place, but I was fairly young.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)

I use Turbotax and it automatically checks both ways for me. It always says taking the standard deduction is better. I never have much of the usual things like medical expenses or charitable donations. Our property taxes are pretty low as well.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)
I use Turbotax and it automatically checks both ways for me. It always says taking the standard deduction is better. I never have much of the usual things like medical expenses or charitable donations. Our property taxes are pretty low as well.

Same here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
Same here.

I itemize. I probably won't have enough any more under the new plan. Losing the personal exemption (Senate version) means my taxes are going to go up in 2018, without question because I'm going to lose around $8k in deductions. Bad times.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)

Have you ever gone to an accountant? Mine is just magic I think.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 04:18 PM)

I got a larger return than my accountant did on a similar tax return using a mid range price turbo tax.

Its just generally how aggressive do you want to be with deductions when taking into the potential for audit.

There was a point I reached where I had two kids and all those intricacies, three pieces of real estate (one owned home, one condo I rented out, one vacant land), worked as a consultant and ran an S-Corp. I decided that doing my own taxes was, at that point, idiotic. So I started using an accountant.

I just don't have a lot of deductible expenses. My mortgage interest isn't much, my property taxes are just over $500 per year, I can expense pretty much everything for work, kids are in school so not much in terms of day care, no medical expenses to speak of, etc.

I've thought about it but just never really saw the need. I'm like SS2K5 in that I just don't have that much to enter. It takes me maybe 20 minutes to finish my taxes. It would take me less time if I didn't have to re-enter my W2 information every year but I use the free version. The paid version pulls in your info from the previous year.

They could actually be a lot easier for everyone: