President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
Flynn to plead GUILTY to the charge, so it seems pretty obvious this is a minor charge as part of a bigger plea deal.

So...a "Former national security advisor" being charged would seem to be pretty high on the list of guys to put in jail if a prosecutor thought they had evidence of impropriety. You only offer them a plea deal for someone who is substantially more important.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 04:54 PM)
There was a point I reached where I had two kids and all those intricacies, three pieces of real estate (one owned home, one condo I rented out, one vacant land), worked as a consultant and ran an S-Corp. I decided that doing my own taxes was, at that point, idiotic. So I started using an accountant.

I have all of those things minus the consultant work. I've still been using TurboTax and have seemed to manage well with it. Like Badger said, a lot depends on who truly aggressive you are willing to be on deductions. It's all gravy until the IRS comes a calling.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 08:39 AM)
So...a "Former national security advisor" being charged would seem to be pretty high on the list of guys to put in jail if a prosecutor thought they had evidence of impropriety. You only offer them a plea deal for someone who is substantially more important.

Yeah, that's absolutely what this is. Just based on public information, Flynn's guilty of more than this slap-on-the-wrist charge, and we know he's been eager to make a deal with someone since early this year.

I don't know if this ever reaches Trump himself, but I wouldn't be shocked by an eventual Kushner or Jr. indictment since they seemed more involved in the actual day-to-day stuff. My guess is that for campaign and transition related stuff, Trump was mostly hands off, and if anyone ever does touch him directly, it will be obstruction once he was in office.

LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP!

edit: one pretty interesting thing in all of this is how tight of a ship Mueller has been running. The WH reportedly learned about this indictment via press reports, and there weren't even rumors swirling about an indictment coming down today.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 08:29 AM)
I've thought about it but just never really saw the need. I'm like SS2K5 in that I just don't have that much to enter. It takes me maybe 20 minutes to finish my taxes. It would take me less time if I didn't have to re-enter my W2 information every year but I use the free version. The paid version pulls in your info from the previous year.

They could actually be a lot easier for everyone:

There was a bill in California that came very close to passing that would have sent everyone pre-filled state tax returns that you'd just verify and send back. They already get all of the same information you do, so there's no reason it couldn't be heavily automated and streamlined for the majority of people with basic W-2's and standard deductions. A few European countries have this, and it seems to work well. But the tax prep and tax software lobby killed it. They make decent money off of preparing 1040EZ's and then loaning the tax return money out at high interest rates, so they'd be harmed if people felt more comfortable doing it on their own.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 08:42 AM)
I have all of those things minus the consultant work. I've still been using TurboTax and have seemed to manage well with it. Like Badger said, a lot depends on who truly aggressive you are willing to be on deductions. It's all gravy until the IRS comes a calling.

My dad works for the IRS and still uses TurboTax. I'm sure I could get a slightly larger return if I went to a more aggressive accountant, but I feel pretty audit-proof in what deductions he recommends for me.

it blows my mind that a 3 star general would destroy his career and reputation for Trump

(i know he was involved in some shady stuff prior to trump, but he went next level once he jumped on the MAGA train)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 10:06 AM)
it blows my mind that a 3 star general would destroy his career and reputation for Trump

(i know he was involved in some shady stuff prior to trump, but he went next level once he jumped on the MAGA train)

That stopped blowing my mind a while ago. Look at literally everyone who has served in his administration other than Bannon. Every one of them is walking out with a ruined reputation. Bannon didn't because his reputation amongst white supremacists is all that matters to him and he embraces that. Generals, business leaders, people with long and distinguished careers, saying "I'll make this last step if I make a deal with the devil" or "I'll make this deal and get my tax cut and then I'll be done".

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 09:31 AM)
January 24 - Flynn lies to the FBI.

January 26 - Yates warns the WH about Flynn.

January 27 - Papadopolous lies to the FBI.

Trump responds not by firing Flynn, but asking Comey for a loyalty pledge.

January 30 - Yates fired.

Fake news.

Sources close to Trump say this charge against Flynn is no big deal. Everyone lies in DC.

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 10:48 AM)
Alright so Jr. or Kushner go down... nothing really happens as Trump can claim he had a lapse in judgement?

They won't even claim a "lapse in judgment", they'll say the charges are bogus and maybe even attempt the pardon fight.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 09:51 AM)
They won't even claim a "lapse in judgment", they'll say the charges are bogus and maybe even attempt the pardon fight.

Which is why state AG's have been working with the investigation, or at least the NY one. Trump can't pardon state-level charges, only federal charges.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)

Yes. Hell, yes.

LOCK THEM UP.

Trump's hush money payments to Flynn must have met a snag.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
But Trump is paying everyone’s legal bills, remember?

That's not that uncommon (trump campaign doing it was less so), but also less damning than his clear signals that he would just pardon everyone a la Arpaio.

Flynn was nothing more than a low level coffee boy.

BTW, I think early next week, the cost of this investigation is going to come out. It will be interesting to see how many of the GOP will have the nerve to say we can't afford it. But like Ted Cruz with Franken/Moore, you know they will be crying about it.

Edited by Dick Allen