Ken Rosenthal: Trade Deadline Will be Insane

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 04:28 PM)
I was referring to if they didn't have all 4. They picked up his option because of the uncertainty of Cespedes. I'm saying they should have just declined his option and if it didn't work out with Cespedes, they could have aimed for a real CF since whoever is going to play there is out of position.

I also think the Mets just straight up underestimated how toxic Bruce would be.

edit: said overestimated first.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 04:32 PM)
The Sox would be taking a risk by putting all their eggs in Conforto's basket if they traded a legit asset like Jones for him straight up, but I personally really like Conforto and think he has All Star level potential.

No they wouldn't. Jones is a year removed from being inactive for almost 2 years. Conforto is already in the show, had a down year but still generated a lot of hard contact. Trading a setup man for good chance at a productive outfielder especially with this teams farm setup is a no brainer to me.

That said I doubt conforto is even as available as I discussed.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 04:35 PM)
No they wouldn't. Jones is a year removed from being inactive for almost 2 years. Conforto is already in the show, had a down year but still generated a lot of hard contact. Trading a setup man for good chance at a productive outfielder especially with this teams farm setup is a no brainer to me.

I could see more scenarios where the Sox win a Conforto for Jones deal than us regretting dealing a setup man in the next few seasons

Conforto seems to have the floor of a fourth outfielder and the ceiling of an above average regular

He really struggles hitting the curveball, but is a great fastball hitter. He would be worth the risk, but I'm not certain the Mets want to move him

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 04:39 PM)
I could see more scenarios where the Sox win a Conforto for Jones deal than us regretting dealing a setup man in the next few seasons

Conforto seems to have the floor of a fourth outfielder and the ceiling of an above average regular

He really struggles hitting the curveball, but is a great fastball hitter. He would be worth the risk, but I'm not certain the Mets want to move him

Yeah this is just for fun. But ears perk up when I hear a young player is blocked. Flashbacks of Carlos Quentin/Eaton acquisitions.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 04:35 PM)

Yeah probably not. I assume Bruce will be on a short leash. Plus there's always potential for a ST injury to one of their guys.

I think there is another possibility in the way the rebuild has gone. I do think it is interesting that the two "problem childs" were traded but not one other trade was made. But competing next year is not realistic. So maybe the front office felt they should do the rebuild over two seasons so that the roster was not a disaster going into sales of 2017 tickets. Then the team can still promote ticket sales for 2017 with guys like Abreu, Anderson and Q. Then do another sell-off in July with the hope that 1 or 2 of the young players already acquired will be ML ready. Then finish the sell off next winter and promote 2018 with Anderson and the young stars that have emerged.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 05:22 PM)
I think there is another possibility in the way the rebuild has gone. I do think it is interesting that the two "problem childs" were traded but not one other trade was made. But competing next year is not realistic. So maybe the front office felt they should do the rebuild over two seasons so that the roster was not a disaster going into sales of 2017 tickets. Then the team can still promote ticket sales for 2017 with guys like Abreu, Anderson and Q. Then do another sell-off in July with the hope that 1 or 2 of the young players already acquired will be ML ready. Then finish the sell off next winter and promote 2018 with Anderson and the young stars that have emerged.

You are overthinking this. The Sox are 100% committed to a rebuild right now, they simply haven't had their prices met on most of their players. They wouldn't pass on quality offers to con some extra ticket sales out of their customer base.

Yes. That is exactly why they are floating rumors through the media about Todd Frazier and Jose Quintana.

This is a little too pie in the sky. Some of these guys are going to miss.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 08:39 PM)
This is why loading up on arms is something they should never stop doing.

Arms or shortstops. Preferably both. They're the currency of baseball. Shortstops can play many positions and pitchers are critical (obviously)