Sox taking it slow with Rodon during ST

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Mar 4, 2017 -> 08:27 AM)
6-12 WAR over 3 years is a wide spread. 2 WAR/year is "just a guy," or an average starting MLB player, or roughly what Rodon has been hereto fore.

Capping starting pitchers innings at 120, there were 71 pitchers in the majors who put up a 2.0 WAR or better. That is roughly 2.5 for each team, out of 5 necessary full time starting pitchers. Calling someone who is worth 2 WAR "just a guy" is preposterous. A starting pitcher putting up 2.0 WAR is very valuable and not easy to find. Mat Latos, Jacob Turner, Anthony Ranaudo - those are JAGs.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 08:16 PM)
Capping starting pitchers innings at 120, there were 71 pitchers in the majors who put up a 2.0 WAR or better. That is roughly 2.5 for each team, out of 5 necessary full time starting pitchers. Calling someone who is worth 2 WAR "just a guy" is preposterous. A starting pitcher putting up 2.0 WAR is very valuable and not easy to find. Mat Latos, Jacob Turner, Anthony Ranaudo - those are JAGs.

I agree with you, but why this? Doesn't it hurt your argument?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)
I agree with you, but why this? Doesn't it hurt your argument?

To expand and show just how few pitchers do accrue 2 WAR. There were 53 starters who qualified for the ERA title that had a 2.0 WAR. There are no relievers who accrued 120 innings, thus getting the full picture of starting pitchers who accrue 2 WAR.

If anything, it helps my argument. Had I just used those that qualified, I'm discounting 18 starting pitchers who did accumulate 2 WAR who did not pitcher a theoretical full season. They still accrued 2+ WAR.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 08:44 PM)
To expand and show just how few pitchers do accrue 2 WAR. There were 53 starters who qualified for the ERA title that had a 2.0 WAR. There are no relievers who accrued 120 innings, thus getting the full picture of starting pitchers who accrue 2 WAR.

If anything, it helps my argument. Had I just used those that qualified, I'm discounting 18 starting pitchers who did accumulate 2 WAR who did not pitcher a theoretical full season. They still accrued 2+ WAR.

My bad, I was thinking along the lines of WAR being a cumulative stat, and not about the innings qualifications. Thanks.

Listening to The Score, Bruce Levine reported Rodon won't start until the 5th or 6th game of the regular season. I guess they can put him on dl towards end of Spring Training, carry another reliever, and then take him off dl and send down a guy when he makes his start (similar to what they did with Sale in '15).

Edited by soxfan2014

I wonder if the Sox would consider a six man rotation at some point this season to help limit the innings of Rodon and whatever other younger guys end up in the rotation over the course of the year. It also makes it easy to skip guys if they don't like the matchup, which could help the trade value of Gonzalez, Holland, and hopefully even Shields.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
I wonder if the Sox would consider a six man rotation at some point this season to help limit the innings of Rodon and whatever other younger guys end up in the rotation over the course of the year. It also makes it easy to skip guys if they don't like the matchup, which could help the trade value of Gonzalez, Holland, and hopefully even Shields.

That, or just playing with the new 10-day DL. There will be a lot more phantom pitching injuries in baseball this year.

JJ Stankevitz‏Verified account @JJStankevitz 11m11 minutes ago Carlos Rodon threw 64 pitches today in sim game vs. minor leaguers. Was up and down 4 times. Threw all his pitches from windup and stretch.

Daryl Van Schouwen‏Verified account @CST_soxvan 12m12 minutes ago Left-hander Carlos Rodon threw 64 pitches in sim game vs White Sox minor leaguers. Threw all of his pitches, up and down four times.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Mar 4, 2017 -> 07:27 AM)
1. He's injured right now He can't even get through Spring Training, because of an arm issue, or a tummy ache, or God knows whatever is causing him to have to "go slow" at the tender age of 24.

2. He actually will be 28 when Boras has him sign elsewhere.

3. 6-12 WAR over 3 years is a wide spread. 2 WAR/year is "just a guy," or an average starting MLB player, or roughly what Rodon has been hereto fore. 4 WAR/year is very much a difference maker, a stud, or slightly less than early Chris Sale as a SP or slightly less than what Quintana is now.

Clumping the Gavin Floyds & Carlos Rodons together with the Chis Sales and Jose Quintanas over rates our now-injured SP, IMO. YMMV.

And, I have to re-state that I was very much a fan when he was drafted, & I very much want him (and ALL Sox players) to do well. I simply don't get why he's considered by fans to be a core player.

Hopefully today taught you not to believe in your own misinformed narrative which I gave you ample chance to prove otherwise on your oft injured rants.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 19, 2017 -> 09:26 PM)
Hopefully today taught you not to believe in your own misinformed narrative which I gave you ample chance to prove otherwise on your oft injured rants.

Yeah, you just might want to cross the goal line with your argument before spiking the football.

Here's hoping young Mr. Rodon finds his health & his form soon.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ May 3, 2017 -> 07:27 PM)
Yeah, you just might want to cross the goal line with your argument before spiking the football.

Here's hoping young Mr. Rodon finds his health & his form soon.

That is some petty and impressive grudgeholding.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2017 -> 07:14 AM)

Yeah. Nothing quite like one random spring training performance to get people's rocks off.

But that aside, I'm not here everyday, so I often miss the chance to close loops on things.I didn't want the other poster to think i didn't have the courtesy to reply to his rant.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2017 -> 05:14 AM)

I don't mind. His repeated use of "oft injured" when referring to Rodon still is inaccurate.Obviously there is what is going on currently and one other trip to the DL when he tripped on the dugout steps. If he thinks that is oft injured so be it.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ May 4, 2017 -> 07:46 AM)
Yeah. Nothing quite like one random spring training performance to get people's rocks off.

But that aside, I'm not here everyday, so I often miss the chance to close loops on things.I didn't want the other poster to think i didn't have the courtesy to reply to his rant.

It isn't that you replied, it is that you held on to that anger for a month and a half to the point where you had to respond even after that much time. That is an 80 bitterness rating.