Predict the 2017 Opening Day Roster

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
Cody Asche is definitely hitting his way onto the roster. He's seen time at 1B as well this spring.

Yep. At this point looks like we're pretty much down to the last position player between Asche and Liriano. Have to imagine Davidson, Leury and Sanchez will all break camp with the team as they're out of options.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 11:31 AM)
Yep. At this point looks like we're pretty much down to the last position player between Asche and Liriano. Have to imagine Davidson, Leury and Sanchez will all break camp with the team as they're out of options.

You think they'll carry 5 guys on the bench (including the backup catcher)? Seems unlikely to me.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 11:36 AM)
You think they'll carry 5 guys on the bench (including the backup catcher)? Seems unlikely to me.

Asche seems likely to be the DH at this point. I'm not sure Davidson is a sure thing for this roster personally.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)
Asche seems likely to be the DH at this point. I'm not sure Davidson is a sure thing for this roster personally.

Davidson is a lock as he's out of options.

Bench will likely be Sanchez, Garcia, Soto, and 1 of Liriano/Asche. Davidson on the roster as primary DH.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
Davidson is a lock as he's out of options.

Bench will likely be Sanchez, Garcia, Soto, and 1 of Liriano/Asche. Davidson on the roster as primary DH.

If it's between Asche and Liriano, I don't see how it can't be Asche. Liriano may be out of options but seems very effected by the injury last year (vision problems since). Not hitting well at all and 18 ks. Definitely can risk optioning him down.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
What's the point of carrying both Leury and Yolmer? Aren't they redundant? Is it just because both are out of options?

I guess so even though they could probably take a chance sending Yolmer down.

Edited by soxfan2014

What's the point of carrying both Leury and Yolmer? Aren't they redundant? Is it just because both are out of options?

Yes. Neither have anything left to prove at AAA. The Sox are likely to be terrible, so may as well give them as much PT as possible to see if we have anything before moving on. Not like service time is a concern with those 2.

Put up or shut up time.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 11:44 AM)
If it's between Asche and Liriano, I don't see how it can't be Asche. Liriano may be out of options but seems very effected by the injury last year (vision problems since). Not hitting well at all and 18 ks. Definitely can risk optioning him down.

Pretty sure Asche is on a minor league deal, so he actually can be sent down without losing him. That might actually decide it.

Leury can also be a backup OF. If Leury comes even remotely close to his AAA batting line, he'd be a backup like Saladino, but with CF ability.

Sanchez, I just don't see it at this point. His only hope of sticking is Frazier getting moved and Saladino becoming the full-time 3B.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 11:59 AM)
Leury can also be a backup OF. If Leury comes even remotely close to his AAA batting line, he'd be a backup like Saladino, but with CF ability.

Sanchez, I just don't see it at this point. His only hope of sticking is Frazier getting moved and Saladino becoming the full-time 3B.

And even then, he just becomes the inevitable victim when Moncada come up. In any event, may as well give Sanchez one last chance to prove he is ML worthy. Nothing to lose.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
Yes. Neither have anything left to prove at AAA. The Sox are likely to be terrible, so may as well give them as much PT as possible to see if we have anything before moving on. Not like service time is a concern with those 2.

Put up or shut up time.

True.

Unless the light bulb suddenly turns on for one of them, they're really nothing more than filler to keep the seat warm for Moncada. But that's fine in a tank year I guess.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 01:08 PM)
1.) Quintana

2.) Rodon

3.) Shields

4.) Gonzalez

5.) Holland

CL - Robertson

SU - Jones

LHP - Jennings

RHP - Putnam

RHP - Petricka

RHP - Ynoa

LHP - Luebke

Just looked at Covey's spring. I definitely don't think they will keep him (unless they trade like a PTBNL for him).

6 shutout innings for Lopez today, so he's stretched out if somebody gets hurt/traded.

Kahnle terrible. Bye Felecia.

Matt Davidson was terrible today too. If 8 in the pen/3 on the bench, they probably could get him through waivers, and if not, no big loss.

I've heard the Sox want to get Liriano to AAA to work with him. I'd guess this.

C - Soto/Narvaez

1B - Abreu

2B - Saladino/Sanchez

3B - Frazier

SS - Anderson

LF - Cabrera

CF - Bourjos

RF - Avi Garcia

DH - Davidson/Ashe

Bench: Soto/Narvaez, Saladino/Sanchez, Davidson/Ashe, Leury Garcia

1.) Quintana

2.) Rodon

3.) Shields

4.) Gonzalez

5.) Holland

CL - Robertson

SU - Jones

LHP - Jennings

RHP - Putnam

RHP - Petricka

RHP - Ynoa

LHP - Luebke

So, they think Liriano clears waivers? I personally don't think he would, but if he does, that's great.

I've heard the Sox want to get Liriano to AAA to work with him. I'd guess this.

C - Soto/Narvaez

1B - Abreu

2B - Saladino/Sanchez

3B - Frazier

SS - Anderson

LF - Cabrera

CF - Bourjos

RF - Avi Garcia

DH - Davidson/Ashe

Bench: Soto/Narvaez, Saladino/Sanchez, Davidson/Ashe, Leury Garcia

1.) Quintana

2.) Rodon

3.) Shields

4.) Gonzalez

5.) Holland

CL - Robertson

SU - Jones

LHP - Jennings

RHP - Putnam

RHP - Petricka

RHP - Ynoa

LHP - Luebke

I'm with you on this prediction

Barring any unforseen moves or injuries this will likely be our opening day roster