Predict the 2017 Opening Day Roster

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 08:19 AM)
That bench is missing whoever isn't starting behind the dish that day (Soto/Narvaez). Also gotta factor in who may be DHing (could be Davidson).

See my other post. My guess is we'll be using a rotating DH with guys like Abreu & Avi getting some time there, but with Davidson the primary guy the rest of the time. That leaves three bench spots on top of Soto.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 09:09 AM)
Haven't read a post of this thread so this may be redundant but:

C: Narvaez/Smith

1B: Abreu

2B: Saladino/Sanchez

3B: Frazier

SS: Anderson

LF: Cabrera

CF: Tilson/L. Garcia

RF: A. Garcia

DH: Davidson/Hayes (RH/LH platoon, because I had 24 players and needed another)

SP: Quintana, Rodon, Shields, Gonzalez, Holland

RP: Robertson, Jones, Jennings, Ynoa, Putnam, Petricka, Burdi

You think Burdi will make the team out of Spring Training? That would be interesting to say the least.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 09:09 AM)
Haven't read a post of this thread so this may be redundant but:

C: Narvaez/Smith

1B: Abreu

2B: Saladino/Sanchez

3B: Frazier

SS: Anderson

LF: Cabrera

CF: Tilson/L. Garcia

RF: A. Garcia

DH: Davidson/Hayes (RH/LH platoon, because I had 24 players and needed another)

SP: Quintana, Rodon, Shields, Gonzalez, Holland

RP: Robertson, Jones, Jennings, Ynoa, Putnam, Petricka, Burdi

I think Soto and Bourjos are basically on the team.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 06:23 AM)
DH, 3B, & 1B. Like it or not, he's probably making the team because he's out of options. The Sox will likely do whatever it takes to preserve depth, so guys like him, Sanchez, L. Garcia, Ynoa, etc. will get first cracks at spots, although I'd expect Davidson to get a very short leash. Delmonico is a similar player positionally (weaker at 3B though), but has a left-handed and projects as the better hitter in the the majors IMO. I'm not Davidson believer by any means, but I think we're better off giving him a two month addition and allowing Delmonico a bit more time in AAA. Of all the fringe, near major league ready prospects in the system, Delmonico is the one guy who I think has a real chance at developing into more than just a bench piece and I see no reason to rush him at the moment.

I don't mind give Davidson a chance but I admit that my expectations are low. Didn't know Davidson is out of options so thanks for that info.

Here's the options I see where Davidson fits into the lineup.

1) Frazier 3B, Abreu 1B, Davidson DH, Melky LF, Avi RF. The obvious problem here is with Davidson at DH it puts Melky and Avi in the outfield together and we already know how bad that is.

2) Davidson 3B, Frazier 1B, Abreu DH, Melky LF, Avi RF. Abreu and Frazier can flip back and forth between the DH and 1B position which should help keep both players healthy. But the same problem exists with Melky and Avi in the OF together.

To me, the obvious answer to the problem is to DFA Avi ( I think he has an option left). If he accepts, he goes to Charlotte and if not he becomes a FA. No big loss either way.

LINEUP

SS Anderson

2B Saladino

1B Abreu

LF Cabrera

3B Frazier

DH Avisail

RF Bourjos

CF Tilson (I'm assuming he will be healthy here)

C Narvaez

BENCH

Soto (C, as a platoon with Narvaez)

Sanchez (middle INF)

Liriano (OF)

Davidson (corner INF)

ROTATION

Quintana

Rodon

Shields

Gonzalez

Holland

BULLPEN

Robertson

Jones

Jennings (L)

Putnam

Petricka

Covey

Ynoa or Soto (L) or Luebke (L) - I can't decide

Other possibilities: Hayes or Delmonico, especially if one of the outfielders gets hurt or Tilson doesn't recover. Rotation is basically 100% solid, but if someone gets hurt before OD, could be Fulmer.

I am still baffled by people who want Leury on the team. He'll be 26 tomorrow so he's still young-ish, and he's fast. But he's booked 155 games across 4 seasons with a .462 OPS, and while he plays all over, he isn't particularly good defensively anywhere. Why carry a pinch runner, on a rebuilding team? I'd rather get a look at someone like Liriano, who might be part of a future. Heck even Delmonico or Hayes have more interest for me. If you have to lose Liriano or Leury to waivers, I'd rather risk Leury.

Sox still seem a bit right handed so I will predict they give up on Davidson and one of Hayes or Delmonico makes the team primarily as a DH .Problem is neither Hayes or Delmonico is very versatile but both provide needed LH power. Hayes is also pretty good at drawing walks. I think Rymer Liriano is a sleeper pick. He missed a lot of development time with that HBP that broke his face. He might not make the Sox but if he starts hot at AAA we could see him quickly.

I'm going 13 pitchers to start.

OF- Cabrera, Tilson, Garcia, Bourjos

IF- Frazier, Anderson, Saladino, Sanchez, Abreu, Davidson

C- Narvaez, Soto

SP- Quintana, Shields, Holland, Gonzalez, Rodon

BP- Covey, Ynoa, Luebke, Petricka, Putnam, Jennings, Jones, Robertson

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)

C- Narvaez, Soto

Rodon likely isn't making a start until 5th or 6th game (per Levine). I expect him to start on dl and for them to carry an extra reliever (break camp with 4 starters and 8 or 9 relievers sending one down when Rodon starts 5th game?).

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 09:44 AM)
Rodon likely isn't making a start until 5th or 6th game (per Levine). I expect him to start on dl and for them to carry an extra reliever (break camp with 4 starters and 8 or 9 relievers sending one down when Rodon starts 5th game?).

When does the DL open up, and will it leave time for that to work?

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 10:36 AM)

C- Narvaez, Soto

With the Tilson injury, I'll replace him with Asche and May, and dump Davidson. I would say Leury, but his baserunning is a joke.

Obviously, 2-3 bullpen spots are up in the air.

With the Tilson injury, i'll say the following make it, prioritizing out of options players:

C Narvaez

1B Abreu

2B Saladino

SS Anderson

3B Frazier

RF - Liriano

CF - Bourjos

LF - Melky

DH - Avi

Bench - C Soto, IF/OF L. Garcia, IF Yolmer, IF Davidson

SP - Quintana, Rodon, Shields, MiGo, Holland

RP - Robertson, Jones, Petricka, Putnam, Jennings, Covey (swingman), Soto

For a rebuilding team there's a fair amount of roster certainty here.

Edited by daggins

Updated after Tilson injury news...

LINEUP

SS Anderson

2B Saladino

1B Abreu

LF Cabrera

3B Frazier

DH Davidson

RF Avisail

CF Bourjos

C Narvaez

BENCH

Sanchez (middle INF)

Liriano (OF)

L Garcia (UTIL)

ROTATION

Quintana

Rodon

Shields

Gonzalez

Holland

BULLPEN

Robertson

Jones

Jennings (L)

Putnam

Petricka

Covey

Ynoa or Luebke (L) - I can't decide

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 03:23 PM)
Updated after Tilson injury news...

LINEUP

SS Anderson

2B Saladino

1B Abreu

LF Cabrera

3B Frazier

DH Davidson

RF Avisail

CF Bourjos

C Narvaez

BENCH

Sanchez (middle INF)

Liriano (OF)

L Garcia (UTIL)

ROTATION

Quintana

Rodon

Shields

Gonzalez

Holland

BULLPEN

Robertson

Jones

Jennings (L)

Putnam

Petricka

Covey

Ynoa or Luebke (L) - I can't decide

Ynoa being out of options made me lean towards him since someone would scoop him up.

All the players that are out of options makes this interesting.

1. T. Anderson SS

2. J. Abreu 1B

3. M.Cabrera LF

4. T. Frazier 3B

5. M. Davidson 3B

6. A. Garcia RF

7. T. Saladino 2B

8. O. Narvaez C

9. P. Bourjos CF

Bench

C G. Soto

INF Y. Sanchez

U L. Garcia

OF R. Liriano

Starters

1. J. Quintana

2. C. Rodon

3. J. Shields

4. M. Gonzalez

5. D. Holland

Bullpen

D. Robertson

N. Jones

J. Petricka

Z. Putnam

D. Jennings

D. Covey

M. Ynoa

I think Davidson, Sanchez, L. Garcia, and M. Ynoa are roster locks because they are all out of options. Covey stays as a rule 5 guy. I've seen speculation from some (including Scott Merkin) about Jacob May being the CF but then Bourjos would be gone entirely in my opinion. No 2nd Lefty in the pen (not that it matters). I put Rymer on the roster because he's out of options but Iw couldn't be stunned to see him gone and Asche making it with the LHB.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 07:24 AM)
All the players that are out of options makes this interesting.

1. T. Anderson SS

2. J. Abreu 1B

3. M.Cabrera LF

4. T. Frazier 3B

5. M. Davidson 3B

6. A. Garcia RF

7. T. Saladino 2B

8. O. Narvaez C

9. P. Bourjos CF

Bench

C G. Soto

INF Y. Sanchez

U L. Garcia

OF R. Liriano

Starters

1. J. Quintana

2. C. Rodon

3. J. Shields

4. M. Gonzalez

5. D. Holland

Bullpen

D. Robertson

N. Jones

J. Petricka

Z. Putnam

D. Jennings

D. Covey

M. Ynoa

I think Davidson, Sanchez, L. Garcia, and M. Ynoa are roster locks because they are all out of options. Covey stays as a rule 5 guy. I've seen speculation from some (including Scott Merkin) about Jacob May being the CF but then Bourjos would be gone entirely in my opinion. No 2nd Lefty in the pen (not that it matters). I put Rymer on the roster because he's out of options but Iw couldn't be stunned to see him gone and Asche making it with the LHB.

This looks right to me. I'd much rather see May or Engel make the team over Leury but I doubt that will happen, at least initially.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 07:55 AM)
This looks right to me. I'd much rather see May or Engel make the team over Leury but I doubt that will happen, at least initially.

Neither are MLB-ready in my view. I think the smart move in a rebuild is to allow both of them to get solid in AAA first. Leury gains nothing from being in AAA anyway.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 08:01 AM)
Neither are MLB-ready in my view. I think the smart move in a rebuild is to allow both of them to get solid in AAA first. Leury gains nothing from being in AAA anyway.

I think there is an argument for May to make the team and as much as I want him to, I have a feeling he goes to AAA (for how long, who knows). Last spot will be Garcia as a backup infielder/outfielder or another reliever (they did carry an extra one most of last season).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 08:01 AM)

Maybe not, but I don't think Leury is anything more than a AAAA player and I would be highly surprised if he was a long term piece in this rebuild. May and Engel probably won't become MLB regulars either but I'd rather give them a shot since they've never had one. Leury is what he is at this point.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 08:09 AM)
Maybe not, but I don't think Leury is anything more than a AAAA player and I would be highly surprised if he was a long term piece in this rebuild. May and Engel probably won't become MLB regulars either but I'd rather give them a shot since they've never had one. Leury is what he is at this point.

Leury can be a fine bench piece. There's no reason to call up May and Engel to sit on the bench (unless you're implying they would start).

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 08:14 AM)
Leury can be a fine bench piece. There's no reason to call up May and Engel to sit on the bench (unless you're implying they would start).

Well yeah I'd want them to start. I'd dump Avi, let Rymer start in RF, and then put Engel/May with LF/CF and Melky at DH. The hope would be that one of those outfielders sticks.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 08:09 AM)

If you want May and Engel to get the best possible shot for their future, then you want them getting starting time, and at a level that neither has shown much mastery over yet (AAA). There' no need to rush them.