Hawk Sounds Melancholy

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)
I read his comment as "Good broadcast team", but either of your points are valid.

I think more than anything I'm just so disappointed how Hawk has destroyed his broadcast pairing with Stone. I don't even mind if Jason isn't the heir apparent to good Hawk, I just want better chemistry than what happens in the road booth.

Ah yeah you're right. Dammit haha it was a quick glance while I was working.

Edited by soxfan2014

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
Ah yeah you're right. Dammit haha it was a quick glance while I was working.

Either interpretation is generally correct. It's clear a broadcaster is more invigorated by a good product on the field.

The really good teams can make both interesting, but after a decade leaning towards non-contention, you can understand why anyone (including Hawk) would be struggling to want to be at the park calling these games. However, that's still not an excuse for some of these really bad broadcasts.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2017 -> 10:22 AM)
Harry Caray didn't know where he was at the last 10 years of his career, yet he wasn't hated. I would say as far as eyesight and actually seeing what was happening, Chip Caray was a better broadcaster than his grandfather, but that's not all that is involved. I would have much rahter listened to Harry. You are watching the game, if they get the name wrong or the ball is somewhere the broadcaster can't see, if you can complain about it, you really didn't need someone to tell you where it was. I will take all the you can put it on the boards and he gones I can get. I know time is running out. I went to Yankee Stadium many years ago, and Bob Sheppard was the almost 100 year old PA voice of Yankees Stadium. He had Jose Valentin batting 3 times in a row. Who cares, it was cool to hear him.

I like Jason(he also has eyesight issues BTW) . His time is coming. But Hawk has more than earned the right to finish on his terms.

Totally. Harry was still saying "it might be...it could be!!!" when the batter was in his trot rounding 3rd heading home. Couldn't see worth a crap but he was one thing...entertaining. Baseball is entertainment before anything else. Players are salesmen. Broadcasters are salesmen...they are a part of the entertainment business and being entertaining is a part of the job. Harry Carey had absolutely no idea what was going on and was tanked by the 3rd inning. You NEVER knew what would come out of his mouth and THAT is what made him great and made people talk...made people say "you gotta see (hear) this." Now there are many paths to that destination--Scully made it there on a much more eloquent path then getting trashed and calling Andre Dawson homeruns when it was actually Sid Bream's 2-out bases empty single. But there is Harry--right there near the top of everyone's list of legends. Now some may have been appalled at his lack of grace...but for the rest of us who allow life to bring us joy...it made us laugh and remains a valuable memory to recall. It's all how you look at it.

Hawk isn't as endearing as Harry or Vin, and may not be a legend in everyone's mind, but you can't argue that he wasn't entertaining--love him or hate him--at one point, he jumped out, got your attention and kept it until he was done. There were times when his act was more entertaining than the actual play.

I still love Hawk, but I'm surprised he isn't having a fairwell tour this year. That would snap him out of his doldrums, getting some love at the road games. I wonder if he needs the $$$. Guys in his generation know the value of continuing to earn a BIG paycheck. Money to give to the grandkids, etc.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 1, 2017 -> 10:18 PM)
I still love Hawk, but I'm surprised he isn't having a fairwell tour this year. That would snap him out of his doldrums, getting some love at the road games. I wonder if he needs the $$$. Guys in his generation know the value of continuing to earn a BIG paycheck. Money to give to the grandkids, etc.

Makes you wonder.

Its his last year and nobody cares. Its possible he feels a little jaded and I can't say I blame him. Now that might not be the case but he does sound different this year.

I will be sad when hes done even though im ready to move on. I hope he gets the farewell he deserves. Guy made me a Sox fan when he was with Wimpy.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ May 1, 2017 -> 10:27 PM)
Makes you wonder.

Its his last year and nobody cares. Its possible he feels a little jaded and I can't say I blame him. Now that might not be the case but he does sound different this year.

I will be sad when hes done even though im ready to move on. I hope he gets the farewell he deserves. Guy made me a Sox fan when he was with Wimpy.

I get the feeling he'll be around next year on a further trimmed schedule.

I honestly think one of Jason's biggest issues is that he doesn't travel with the team. Road trips are when you learn a ton about the people on your team, etc. Once he starts doing road trips with the team, I honestly think he'll have a higher level of comfort with some of the baseball topics.

I mean, he did say he wants to die in the booth. Isn't this year or the next year his last? Maybe he is ill and is going to go out how he always dreamed of going out, in the booth.

Edited by ron883