Moncada to stay in Charlotte a while

southsider2k5

Moncada's K rate is down to 21.7% over his last 15. If he can keep it there that is perfectly acceptable for a guy with power who walks more than 10% of the time.

I believe it when they say there is no rush to call him up but I really don't think money is a big factor. You're talking $10 million spread out between 2020 and 2023. That's chump change to an MLB team. I think if Moncada proves his performance is real over another couple weeks he'll be up. I really don't see them waiting until the Super 2 date especially since he already accrued 31 days service time with the Red Sox last year.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 10, 2017 -> 10:30 AM)
Moncada's K rate is down to 21.7% over his last 15. If he can keep it there that is perfectly acceptable for a guy with power who walks more than 10% of the time.

I believe it when they say there is no rush to call him up but I really don't think money is a big factor. You're talking $10 million spread out between 2020 and 2023. That's chump change to an MLB team. I think if Moncada proves his performance is real over another couple weeks he'll be up. I really don't see them waiting until the Super 2 date especially since he already accrued 31 days service time with the Red Sox last year.

At soxfest they mentioned so many times they want their prospects to overcome struggle prior to MLB, and I think that's the logic here. I think they want to see him get tested and see how it goes. I think they want him for the additional year, but I don't think super 2 is that big of a deal to them.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 10, 2017 -> 10:30 AM)

There is also no good reason to piss away $10 million for a few more ABs in a throw away season, especially when the lions share of that money happens in the end of the deal when we might need to worry about payroll, and not at the beginning when it doesn't matter.

I think I understand that ISO tells us how much power hitters have separate of their contact abilities, but what do the numbers roughly mean? I.e. what is a good ISO for a future slugger? What do we want to see from Yoan?

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ May 10, 2017 -> 10:33 AM)
I think I understand that ISO tells us how much power hitters have separate of their contact abilities, but what do the numbers roughly mean? I.e. what is a good ISO for a future slugger? What do we want to see from Yoan?

Fangraphs lists .140 as average, .170 as above average, .200 as great and .250 as excellent.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/offense/iso/

If Moncada could maintain that roughly .200 ISO he has now that would be fantastic. Realistically he probably won't be there from the start but if he can even be in the .170 range I would be happy with that.

I've seen people compare Moncada to Trout and Cano. Trout had a .220 ISO in AAA, Cano had a .176 ISO at AAA. So Moncada is pretty well in line with them. Whether it will translate or even improve like their's did is anybody's guess.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 10, 2017 -> 09:59 AM)
Fangraphs lists .140 as average, .170 as above average, .200 as great and .250 as excellent.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/offense/iso/

If Moncada could maintain that roughly .200 ISO he has now that would be fantastic. Realistically he probably won't be there from the start but if he can even be in the .170 range I would be happy with that.

I've seen people compare Moncada to Trout and Cano. Trout had a .220 ISO in AAA, Cano had a .176 ISO at AAA. So Moncada is pretty well in line with them. Whether it will translate or even improve like their's did is anybody's guess.

Thanks for the response. I'll admit that I refrained from asking what a "good" ISO was because I figured a high contact singles hitter would have a low ISO (Ichiro = .092, for instance), so I figured a "good" ISO would depend on what role we are expecting a hitter to take...

I know this is not the popular perspective on this board, however I just don't think it would be a horrible idea to just call the guy up to see how he fits in with this team. I get the business side of things--the year of control--all that. But 1 thing keeps looming in my mind--the past. The 2005 year actually. The 2004-05 off season was supposed to have gutted the Sox. We just shed the likes of Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez and we were supposed to be horrible. Their replacement--Scotty Pods and some bullpen help. That team showed they had a different plan for the season--they clicked with the manager's "Ozzieball" philosophy and rode it all the way to the title. They did it with guys like Jon Garland & Jose Contreras in their rotation--both who had ERA's near 5 the year before. They had just lost the heart of their order and even Big Frank was battling injuries--many people pegged them to be buried in the AL Central. But they started out hot and just clicked as an ego-free team embracing a managerial approach--and really took off with the Bobby Jenks call-up.

Here we sit with a team of young, unproven players--vets who have been acquired with the sole purpose of being flipped--and just months off of trading away their "best" players. We have a new manager--we're off to a decent start, we don't have a ton of egos and we are seeing the flipper vets perform well--this time Holland and Gonzalez rather than Contreras and Garland. I am all about the rebuild and making the right decisions, but would 2005 have turned out the same if they had not called up Jenks? Or if they had flipped Contreras and Garland? Or if they had jumped at a chance to trade Buehrle (Q?) for a boat load of prospects?

I'm just hoping they aren't so focused on the future that they overlook what they may have in front of them. Not saying this is the SAME situation--but those 2005 guys went from Yolmers to Legends just by the way they played the game together.

Did any of you peg Geoff Blum as a World Series Hero? I might be inclined to see if Moncada is the missing piece to THIS team. If he's an instant stud like many prospects of his caliber have become--all of a sudden, you've got a competitive lineup and a rotation who is thriving to go with a lights out bullpen--with a schedule full of winnable division games.

Yes...it's a narrative we have heard SO much--stuck in the middle each year--mediocre. But this year seems a little different with an actual manager calling the shots, money to spend and some potential difference makers cooking down in AAA.

They also have shown the rare ability to get clutch hits and win close games. How would a couple call-ups, a catcher, and maybe a CF upgrade change the look of this team?

QUOTE (FT35 @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:48 PM)
I know this is not the popular perspective on this board, however I just don't think it would be a horrible idea to just call the guy up to see how he fits in with this team. I get the business side of things--the year of control--all that. But 1 thing keeps looming in my mind--the past. The 2005 year actually. The 2004-05 off season was supposed to have gutted the Sox. We just shed the likes of Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez and we were supposed to be horrible. Their replacement--Scotty Pods and some bullpen help. That team showed they had a different plan for the season--they clicked with the manager's "Ozzieball" philosophy and rode it all the way to the title. They did it with guys like Jon Garland & Jose Contreras in their rotation--both who had ERA's near 5 the year before. They had just lost the heart of their order and even Big Frank was battling injuries--many people pegged them to be buried in the AL Central. But they started out hot and just clicked as an ego-free team embracing a managerial approach--and really took off with the Bobby Jenks call-up.

Here we sit with a team of young, unproven players--vets who have been acquired with the sole purpose of being flipped--and just months off of trading away their "best" players. We have a new manager--we're off to a decent start, we don't have a ton of egos and we are seeing the flipper vets perform well--this time Holland and Gonzalez rather than Contreras and Garland. I am all about the rebuild and making the right decisions, but would 2005 have turned out the same if they had not called up Jenks? Or if they had flipped Contreras and Garland? Or if they had jumped at a chance to trade Buehrle (Q?) for a boat load of prospects?

I'm just hoping they aren't so focused on the future that they overlook what they may have in front of them. Not saying this is the SAME situation--but those 2005 guys went from Yolmers to Legends just by the way they played the game together.

Did any of you peg Geoff Blum as a World Series Hero? I might be inclined to see if Moncada is the missing piece to THIS team. If he's an instant stud like many prospects of his caliber have become--all of a sudden, you've got a competitive lineup and a rotation who is thriving to go with a lights out bullpen--with a schedule full of winnable division games.

Yes...it's a narrative we have heard SO much--stuck in the middle each year--mediocre. But this year seems a little different with an actual manager calling the shots, money to spend and some potential difference makers cooking down in AAA.

They also have shown the rare ability to get clutch hits and win close games. How would a couple call-ups, a catcher, and maybe a CF upgrade change the look of this team?

Don't get sucked into the storybook 2005 Sox narrative

The White Sox have been trying to catch lightning in a bottle for far too long and really need to undergo an extensive rebuilding to have a better future.

2005 saw the White Sox remain healthy, and ride a very strong rotation and bullpen to a championship

As currently constructed the Sox do not have enough talent to be a realistic contender. Guys like Cabrera and Frazier are gone after this season and the team needs to be thinking towards the future.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ May 11, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)
Don't get sucked into the storybook 2005 Sox narrative

The White Sox have been trying to catch lightning in a bottle for far too long and really need to undergo an extensive rebuilding to have a better future.

2005 saw the White Sox remain healthy, and ride a very strong rotation and bullpen to a championship

As currently constructed the Sox do not have enough talent to be a realistic contender. Guys like Cabrera and Frazier are gone after this season and the team needs to be thinking towards the future.

I know, I know...it's just so near and dear to my heart...plus...I gotta get psyched for the Sox/Pads game tomorrow. Traveling in to town for it. I only make a game every few years or so. Looking forward to being fans with all of you who go on a regular basis.

QUOTE (FT35 @ May 11, 2017 -> 02:11 PM)
I know, I know...it's just so near and dear to my heart...plus...I gotta get psyched for the Sox/Pads game tomorrow. Traveling in to town for it. I only make a game every few years or so. Looking forward to being fans with all of you who go on a regular basis.

You'll have a blast. You are juuuust missing a warm up though.

QUOTE (FT35 @ May 11, 2017 -> 02:11 PM)

Petco is amazing. I haven't been for a Sox game, but the stadium is fantastic. And San Diego is wonderful.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:14 PM)
You'll have a blast. You are juuuust missing a warm up though.

Ha! I tried to tell my girlfriend that when she bought tickets for my birthday! Oh well...there will be so much winning going on we won't realize our hands are numb. Nothing a coat won't fix...it's always baseball weather! Looks like next week will be NICE...just means we'll have to come back again!

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:28 PM)
Petco is amazing. I haven't been for a Sox game, but the stadium is fantastic. And San Diego is wonderful.

I've heard! Would love to hit a game there. Plus, I'm from Fort Wayne, IN and our little single A team is a Padres affiliate. We've seen some great prospects here--including Rymer Liriano, who while watching him in 2011--you would have sworn he was the next big name to come on to the scene. I can def see why the Sox took a flier on him...sucks that he's turning out to be Lastings Millege part 2 so far.

QUOTE (FT35 @ May 11, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
I've heard! Would love to hit a game there. Plus, I'm from Fort Wayne, IN and our little single A team is a Padres affiliate. We've seen some great prospects here--including Rymer Liriano, who while watching him in 2011--you would have sworn he was the next big name to come on to the scene. I can def see why the Sox took a flier on him...sucks that he's turning out to be Lastings Millege part 2 so far.

Now that is a blast from the past!