Tatis Jr

NCsoxfan

It is worth pointing out that if we win bidding for Robert, players like Tatis Jr and Micker Adolfo are the exact players that we aren't going to be able to sign for the next two years. I know people are saying that it is only money at this stage, but if guys like Micker and Tatis end up becoming starting to star level players in MLB (small odds I know) is it worth knowing that the Sox COULD have signed the next Tatis and Adolfo's in this deal as well. How much does that change the perception of a Robert deal, especially if he ends up closer to Alexei or Dayan, than he does Abreu?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2017 -> 03:39 PM)
It is worth pointing out that if we win bidding for Robert, players like Tatis Jr and Micker Adolfo are the exact players that we aren't going to be able to sign for the next two years. I know people are saying that it is only money at this stage, but if guys like Micker and Tatis end up becoming starting to star level players in MLB (small odds I know) is it worth knowing that the Sox COULD have signed the next Tatis and Adolfo's in this deal as well. How much does that change the perception of a Robert deal, especially if he ends up closer to Alexei or Dayan, than he does Abreu?

Tatis and Micker were two highly touted international guys. A lot of the higher end guys seem to have deals in place next signing period.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 19, 2017 -> 03:45 PM)
Tatis and Micker were two highly touted international guys. A lot of the higher end guys seem to have deals in place next signing period.

This is two years worth of signings. I do recall Tatis either being at the back end of the top 30, or just outside of it.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 19, 2017 -> 09:16 PM)
And just how many of these guys have the Sox been able to develop? By all accounts, Robert is significantly better than your typical highly-ranked J2 guy

That's just it, we don't know yet. But all of the sudden you could very well have at least two of them.

We can agree to disagree about Robertson but the fact remains we needed to allocate money on position players or international markets...closers are the last priority, the final piece for a contending team.

The White Sox never have spent that type of money historically on a closer and did just fine...just like they will when Robertson's gone. If that's his second best acquisition to Abreu, it's not saying much.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 19, 2017 -> 09:16 PM)
And just how many of these guys have the Sox been able to develop? By all accounts, Robert is significantly better than your typical highly-ranked J2 guy

Micker has monster potential, but I'd take a guy getting comps to young Griffey and Harper over a dozen Micker and Tatis types.

Once read Tatis would be the top pick this year if he was eligible, that one hurt

And to be honest, he is doing real well right now AND is one of the youngest prospects on a full season team around the MiLB

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?playe...itting/2017/ALL

Obviously losing him hurts bad and I truthfully do see WAY more star potential in him than Allen and Ravelo, or even Thompson

That being said, Luis Robert is leaps and bounds better than him (Comparisons to Harper, Griffey, Puig, Jones), hopefully he pans out. I don't mind missing out on a few Adolfo's and Tatis's (Both of whom I optimistically think will be productive MLBers at the least) for a Super Star in Robert

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ May 20, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
I know it's early, but losing status will haunt us. Big mistake giving him up in the Shields deal

If he is able to stick at 3b, yeah, a bit. (He has already made 13 errors at SS, but that's typical for the low minors, see Jeter in Greensboro, 1993)

Tatis was autocorrected to status, haha.

If we don't get a Tatis replacement out of Robertson, Frazier, Nate Jones, Swarzak, Holland, etc., it will be pretty surprising. 3b might be the weakest individual position in the system now that Collins is slotted at catcher.

Edited by caulfield12

I still think the Samardzija trade was more obviously bad at the time it was made, but that was in large part due to the loss of Semien who would have filled the 2B hole that has been gaping since he was traded (and before that). Injury aside, Chris Bassitt may well be a nice piece we lost there too.

The problem with that argument is Shark at least looked like a solid #3 guy on paper.

The wheels were already coming off for Shields with that atrocious start prior to the deal and he looked like he was going to struggle as a 4/5 back end guy due to reduced velocity and movement/spin rate.