White Sox @ Angels 9:07 CT

Kyyle23

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 18, 2017 -> 05:23 AM)
Meanwhile, players like Aaron Hicks go to the Yankees and become All-Stars.

This day/night has been a total disaster.

Moncada on the DL. Fulmer blasted. Swarzak's luck runs out (ERA still a miniscule 1.37). Of course, it's hard to get TOO upset when it's Mike Trout doing the damage. He's pretty good.

There will be many, many days like this during the rebuild. By all accounts, Moncada will be fine. Fulmer is never going to be a TOR starter.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Harper and Freddie Freeman came into this game ahead of Trout in OPS.

There were 14 MLB hitters over 1.000. It just seems like there's no offense, well, because the AL Central.

Included are such surprises as Judge, Thames, Sano (well, not a big shock), Cozart and Conforto (who we were supposedly interested in). Yander Alonso and Mark Reynolds are two more huge breakouts (so far). Of course, hitting in Colorado helps, except for Carlos Gonzalez this season.

It's also unfortunate we didn't make a play for Jean Segura, then we really could have moved Moncada to CF.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2017 -> 11:29 PM)
When did Renteria become this managerial god? Hawk was gushing about him earlier, and while I think he's a huge improvement from Ventura, he doesn't come across as a very good in-game coach.

I think you are letting this series cloud your judgement a bit.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2017 -> 10:31 PM)
There will be many, many days like this during the rebuild. By all accounts, Moncada will be fine. Fulmer is never going to be a TOR starter.

Watching the struggles of Rodon and now Fulmer, it's pretty obvious that taking the top college arm doesn't always equate to an automatic slam dunk (and sure, Kolek/Aiken haven't done much, either). It's not Dillon Tate bad, but it just goes to show how uncertain scouting can be. Look no further than Gordon Beckham and Viciedo on the hitting side. Or Courtney Hawkins (he's now replaced Mitchell as our case study in bad drafting.)

The White Sox simply HAVE to be better at evaluating talent...especially when they can no longer afford to have a Top 10-12 payroll.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 18, 2017 -> 05:33 AM)

I just haven't seen him do anything special in-game. I think he does a great job relating and motivating the players, but Hawk saying he's one of Reinsdorf's best moves ever seems like a very premature statement

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 18, 2017 -> 05:37 AM)
Watching the struggles of Rodon and now Fulmer, it's pretty obvious that taking the top college arm doesn't always equate to an automatic slam dunk (and sure, Kolek/Aiken haven't done much, either). It's not Dillon Tate bad, but it just goes to show how uncertain scouting can be. Look no further than Gordon Beckham and Viciedo on the hitting side. Or Courtney Hawkins (he's now replaced Mitchell as our case study in bad drafting.)

The White Sox simply HAVE to be better at evaluating talent...especially when they can no longer afford to have a Top 10-12 payroll.

What Rodon struggles on the field? He was on track to be a stud coming into the year. Fulmer always had a lot of question marks, as did Tate and Jay.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 17, 2017 -> 10:33 PM)

The problem is if you went back to August or early September of 2012, you would have thought Robin Ventura had the potential to be a pretty darned good manager.

That team played so much better defensively, compared to Ozzie's last team...then the wheels came off of nearly aspect of the team, almost simultaneously. Back then, everyone was arguing a new manager was a "breath of fresh air" and worth at least 3-5 wins, if not more.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2017 -> 10:39 PM)
What Rodon struggles on the field? He was on track to be a stud coming into the year. Fulmer always had a lot of question marks, as did Tate and Jay.

Inconsistency and now this mysterious injury...I was at least hoping for more than a 4-ish ERA and more hits surrendered than innings pitched.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2017 -> 11:37 PM)

Rodon struggles?! News to me.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 17, 2017 -> 10:46 PM)
Rodon struggles?! News to me.

Apparently 125 walks is not a concern, at all. PTAC has stated on numerous occasions he'll never have a completely consistent delivery. He might be a Cy Young candidate SOMEDAY, but the timetable has slowed significantly. It will be a battle just to get his innings pitched to the 160-180 range for 2018 in order to set him up for when the White Sox need to (at least attempt to) compete in 2019.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2017 -> 11:52 PM)
Rodon's walk rate showed awesome improvement last year

I'm just not sure where he's going with this. Is this another case of Caufield being Caulfield or does he not remember Rodon's improvements from the previous year?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 18, 2017 -> 05:55 AM)
I'm just not sure where he's going with this. Is this another case of Caufield being Caulfield or does he not remember Rodon's improvements from the previous year?

If he doesn't like what Rodon showed his first two years, he's going to hate the pitchers coming up from the minors the next few years

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 17, 2017 -> 11:54 PM)
I know we are tearing it apart to rebuild but this is getting beyond bad

Even with a loss tonight I think their record is still better than most people and all projection systems would have expected at this point.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 17, 2017 -> 10:55 PM)

I just enjoy playing Devil's Advocate sometimes. In reality, it's hard for me to do much more than watch the highlights, most of the time. That said, we really have no idea (still) what's wrong with Rodon physically and how he will be affected when he does come back. When's that simulation game scheduled, again?

In the overall scheme of things, about the only thing that can save this season is Luis Robert, a series of miraculous heists by Hahn in June/July or ending up with the advanced collegiate bat we want in the draft. And yeah, it would be a huge bonus if Anderson ended up with a 725-750ish OPS and Jose Quintana at 3.25-3.50ish and in the Top 30 in strikeouts. Finally, Moncada striking out less than 1/3rd of the time and putting up an 800-850 OPS.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2017 -> 10:56 PM)
If he doesn't like what Rodon showed his first two years, he's going to hate the pitchers coming up from the minors the next few years

Who could hate Kopech, he's really entertaining? (And, fwiw, Lucas Giolito is really a cool kid, like Borchard, hope he makes it).

But yeah, we've had our share of 100+ pitch 4-5+IP outings in recent Sox history. Hector Santiago was a master of that.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 18, 2017 -> 05:59 AM)
Even with a loss tonight I think their record is still better than most people and all projection systems would have expected at this point.

I thought we would be in first place 😊 I know what you are saying though