Luis Robert signing official

southsider2k5

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ May 20, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)
Also I think it's stupid if a team goes over the cap it doesn't matter until future years. That's idiotic but it is what it is.

Yeah "if you break the rules make sure to break them big to make up for the punishment!" Was stupid. And annoyed they didn't really punish the huge offenders in the new CBA. They played the system, Sox get system better for themselves and all who broke system. We come up short.

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ May 20, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
Jose doing the real investigative work for us. You the real MVP

:lol: My pleasure.

Basically every social media post/info people have been using is fake or from an unreliable source unless it's a baseball writer we all know about. To this point, the only concrete social media information there is lies in Robert's Instagram account, on which he has indeed followed a couple White Sox fan pages.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 20, 2017 -> 03:58 PM)
Yeah "if you break the rules make sure to break them big to make up for the punishment!" Was stupid. And annoyed they didn't really punish the huge offenders in the new CBA. They played the system, Sox get system better for themselves and all who broke system. We come up short.

Or that it's far more likely Cards end up with a better talent due to the hackgate punishment

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 20, 2017 -> 11:59 AM)
:lol: My pleasure.

Basically every social media post/info people have been using is fake or from an unreliable source unless it's a baseball writer we all know about. To this point, the only concrete social media information there is lies in Robert's Instagram account, on which he has indeed followed a couple White Sox fan pages.

I just blue myself

QUOTE (fathom @ May 20, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
Or that it's far more likely Cards end up with a better talent due to the hackgate punishment

It was a slap on the wrist. Should have been either signifant money or more severe draft punishment.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 20, 2017 -> 10:33 AM)
Yea this totally says that Hahn is pulling back on Robert. Bravo

Any more misquoted articles you wanna reference this morning? You are 0-fer

I said "may be" pulling back and the article said "may" turn their attention elsewhere.

Your "gotcha" record is approaching Wile E Coyote territory.

Honestly who knows at this point. But the Sox have been awfully quiet the past few days and that typically is a good thing when it comes to the Sox and acquisitions. It's would be a gut punch to lose out on him especially if it's because of $. I still think Hahn and company have circled this on the to-do list and have and will continue to do what they can to land this kid. He doesn't technically have to sign for another week or so, let's just relax and hope we finally end up in top with one of these things.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 20, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)
IMO Hahn stirred the coals a lot on fans excitement for Robert. Should be mentioned that a plan B for Robert is another marginal intl free agent class, which was only acceptable with Robert. If we lose out, it's a big tactical mistake to me.

How many trade targets for Sale and Q were intl signings? A ton. Gleybar, Robles, Meitan, Soto, Acuna. We are trading top ML talent and trying to make it up by acquiring guys we could have had for a few million if we just had a good intl free agent strategy. But we don't.

Bingo. The Sox are gonna come away with a whole lot of nothing in the intl free agent class if they miss out on Robert. They will have to scramble to sign some marginal guys and will appear desperate.

Teams that ignore the intl market or completely bungle it year after year have no realistic chance of building a legit contender.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 20, 2017 -> 10:48 AM)
On the one hand the Sox are peddling Quintana, for essentially a prospect the quality of Robert (plus some add-ons). And yet, in an open market, Q would go for almost triple Robert's value.

And then there is the fact that the Sox invested $25 mill in Shields, which happens to be the ballpark amount for Robert.

Given that, they should be willing to hit $25 mill or thereabouts.

You do realize that whatever they pay Robert doubles right? So for the expenditure to be around $25M, they'd pay Robert $12.5M, which is going be at Lessard $10M shy of what he ultimately gets.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ May 20, 2017 -> 11:11 AM)
Bingo. The Sox are gonna come away with a whole lot of nothing in the intl free agent class if they miss out on Robert. They will have to scramble to sign some marginal guys and will appear desperate.

Teams that ignore the intl market or completely bungle it year after year have no realistic chance of building a legit contender.

BS. You are talking one year and a $4.25 million pool. They still probably have 300k guys, and maybe another interesting player or 2 will emerge, and they would have everything to play with. If Robert is anywhere near what he is cracked up to be, it is definitely worth passing on giving a couple of 16 year olds seven figures, who, if all goes well, won't help you for 6 or 7 years anyway, to take a shot. Normally, they would have zero chance at a guy like this.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 20, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)
BS. You are talking one year and a $4.25 million pool. They still probably have 300k guys, and maybe another interesting player or 2 will emerge, and they would have everything to play with. If Robert is anywhere near what he is cracked up to be, it is definitely worth passing on giving a couple of 16 year olds seven figures, who, if all goes well, won't help you for 6 or 7 years anyway, to take a shot. Normally, they would have zero chance at a guy like this.

I personally factor in the opportunity cost that Sox will be one of a handful of teams to not take advantage of the old INTL rules even though they paid lip service to doing so at multiple Sox fests. We'll see how the teams that had a big intl class do in the future, but my guess is white Sox have a self made uphill battle.

QUOTE (ventura_abreu @ May 20, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
I'm sure that Roberts is part A; however, given the money that will be spent and the 2 years of being in the penalty box, that ends up being a heavy price. Plan B would work out fine too.

The pull back thing to me is just Hahn being Hahn. It is part of the game. He gets it out there he is pulling back maybe a team starts thinking it is negotiating against itself. They came this far, no way they aren't seeing it to the end.

The White Sox basically had to penalize themselves this year for the shot. Most of the big names have deals. I am sure they have some 300k and under guys lined up, and maybe they get lucky and someone emerges in the next month or so who is deserving of a bigger bonus if Robert signs elsewhere.

Edited by Dick Allen

I'm sure that Roberts is part A; however, given the money that will be spent and the 2 years of being in the penalty box, that ends up being a heavy price. Plan B would work out fine too.

What exactly is plan b though? Who else is out there that is at the level of Robert besides Otani?

Except this already demands our 2017 class be garbage. We have a self imposed penalty box already.

I just want to point out that all these leaks (so far) are meaningless. If negotiations weren't still ongoing, we'd already know who he was signing with by now. Therefore, the process is still fluid which means that any leaked information is done so purposely to manipulate another party involved. The Cardinals having a "significant" offer leak out screams to me Robert's agent trying to back hand the Sox into bumping up their own. Why else would anyone have access to both the Cardinals & White Sox's offers?

Right now, the only thing we should believe is the Sox & the Cardinals are the two most likely landing spots. Anything else is typical negotiating bulls***.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 20, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)
Except this already demands our 2017 class be garbage. We have a self imposed penalty box already.

So what happens on the Sox had some big names lined up for J2, but they sign Robert? Basically they have to renege on those deals and that can't help for future dealings.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 20, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
So what happens on the Sox had some big names lined up for J2, but they sign Robert? Basically they have to renege on those deals and that can't help for future dealings.

They didn't put themselves in that position though.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 20, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)

True but keep in mind, the entire White Sox bonus pool is exactly the same amount it cost Oakland to sign Michael Ynoa 9 years ago.

I don't think it is as devastating as some believe.